Battle Mountain 2013

AW: Re: AW: Battle Mountain 2013

Das sind keine Kojaks, man der Kojak ist ein Krüppel.
Mit Sicherheit ist es breiter Ultremo evtl noch Schlauchlos

Each of these bikes is designed around a specific tire width since the objective is to minimize the tire opening, as well as to minimize as much as possible the air drawn into the shell by the wheel. Toronto's Bludnose was designed for the wider Michelin radial, and so ultremos were too narrow. We tried the Michelin Radials, but were unhappy with the handling because of the very square profile of these tires. We tried mixing the blue and black michelins, with the result that Todd had a high speed crash midweek. When we switched to the blues, everything was fine. The Altair4 also used blues. Jan Bos switched from Blacks to Kojaks. The Delft team had less problems with the Black radials. Perhaps this is because their headtube angle was much steeper than either the Toronto or the Elan bikes. Ultremos were used on the Vortex, which was designed for narrow tires.

Hi Jun, thanks for this info. Are the Michelin Blue and Black tires commercially available because I can't seem to find them. What is their official name?

What is your take on the currently limiting factor for 200m and/or 1h? The selection of bikes seem to be fine right now with so many teams hitting 120+ km/h. Do we simply need more proving grounds and time? I couldn't believe the number of flat tires I read about.

Nein, Du kannst solche Reifen nicht kaufen.
Hab ich das Richtig verstanden, er meinte die Michelin sind zu schwammig? Das kann ich mir durchaus vorstellen. Noch weiß ich nicht warum Hans auf die diagonalReifen gesetzt hat.

Each of these bikes is designed around a specific tire width since the objective is to minimize the tire opening, as well as to minimize as much as possible the air drawn into the shell by the wheel. Toronto's Bludnose was designed for the wider Michelin radial, and so ultremos were too narrow. We tried the Michelin Radials, but were unhappy with the handling because of the very square profile of these tires. We tried mixing the blue and black michelins, with the result that Todd had a high speed crash midweek. When we switched to the blues, everything was fine. The Altair4 also used blues. Jan Bos switched from Blacks to Kojaks. The Delft team had less problems with the Black radials. Perhaps this is because their headtube angle was much steeper than either the Toronto or the Elan bikes. Ultremos were used on the Vortex, which was designed for narrow tires.

Übersetzung:

Jedes dieser Fahrräder ist für eine bestimmte Reifenbreite konstruiert, da es das Ziel ist, die Öffnung für den Reifen so klein wie möglich zu halten und dafür zu sorgen, dass das Rad so wenig Luft wie möglich in die Karosse zieht. Torontos Bluenose wurde für den breiteren Michelin Radial konstruiert, daher waren Ultremos zu schmal. Wir haben die Michelin Radialreifen ausprobiert, aber waren aufgrund des sehr eckigen Profils dieser Reifen mit dem Handling unzufrieden. Wir haben auch probiert, die blauen und schwarzen Michelins zu mischen, mit dem Ergebnis, dass Todd in der Mitte der Woche einen Unfall bei hoher Geschwindigkeit hatte. Als wir dann komplett auf die blauen Reifen gewechselt haben, war alles OK. Das Altair 4 fuhr ebenfalls auf den blauen Reifen. Jan Bos wechselte von den schwarzen auf Kojaks. Das Delft Team hatte weniger Probleme mit den schwarzen Radialreifen. Möglicherweise liegt das daran, dass ihr Steuerrohrwinkel deutlich steiler war, als an den Fahrrädern von Toronto oder Elan. Ultremos wurden am Vortex eingesetzt, welches für schmale Reifen konstruiert wurde.

Re: AW: Re: AW: Battle Mountain 2013

Hi Jun, thanks for this info. Are the Michelin Blue and Black tires commercially available because I can't seem to find them. What is their official name?

What is your take on the currently limiting factor for 200m and/or 1h? The selection of bikes seem to be fine right now with so many teams hitting 120+ km/h. Do we simply need more proving grounds and time? I couldn't believe the number of flat tires I read about.

The blue and black Michelins have not been made available to the general public, but are intended only for Supermileage teams. Also keep in mind that the black tires are about 400 EU each. We are still trying to decide what the ultimate tire solution is. Many teams were also trying out tubeless mounting, which mixed results, since tire balance is so crucial. In terms of the number of flats, the most common failure mode is that the side wall of the tire hits part of the fairing and is abraded. Keep in mind that the fastest bikes have a total available steering angle of about 5°. I cannot speak to the 1 hour event as I have not attended such an event. I would expect that the 200m speed will gradually be pushed upwards with incremental improvements in aerodynamics that have been facilitated by many teams switched to camera vision. However, safety is a growing concern. Enforcing new regulations would obsolete many of the existing bikes, so this is a controversial point. At this point, my opinion is that many of the bikes are unsafe, with Delft and U of T being exceptions. I refer you to a screencap of the tandem crash as an example. It is too easy for a two part fairing to separate, and most of these bikes do not have any safety harnesses for the drivers.
glowworm_crash.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Battle Mountain 2013

The blue and black Michelins have not been made available to the general public, but are intended only for Supermileage teams. Also keep in mind that the black tires are about 400 EU each. We are still trying to decide what the ultimate tire solution is. Many teams were also trying out tubeless mounting, which mixed results, since tire balance is so crucial. In terms of the number of flats, the most common failure mode is that the side wall of the tire hits part of the fairing and is abraded. Keep in mind that the fastest bikes have a total available steering angle of about 5°. I cannot speak to the 1 hour event as I have not attended such an event. I would expect that the 200m speed will gradually be pushed upwards with incremental improvements in aerodynamics that have been facilitated by many teams switched to camera vision. However, safety is a growing concern. Enforcing new regulations would obsolete many of the existing bikes, so this is a controversial point. At this point, my opinion is that many of the bikes are unsafe, with Delft and U of T being exceptions. I refer you to a screencap of the tandem crash as an example. It is too easy for a two part fairing to separate, and most of these bikes do not have any safety harnesses for the drivers.
Anhang anzeigen 50571

Thanks, Jun. It is interesting to hear safety concerns voiced. I agree, a narrow road as in BM plus shoulders left and right don't allow for much error. We once measured the trace Damjan left on a track when he crashed at an hour attempt. It was looooooooooooong. And there was more space and I was still worried since in the end he slowly slid into the steel side rails. So: I agree. Making a 5mile course more safe would be very expensive... I think our 1h course in Germany has some more safety margin. But it lacks an 0.6% downward slope and altitude. But for the 1h it is excellent and perfectly safe. I see the dilemma.

Interesting about the tires. I know that other teams used small batch special low endurance tires in the past. So the tire question is still in flux. Good :)

AW: Battle Mountain 2013

oh mann, schade dass der Journalist hier wieder alles ins Lächerliche zieht. Bei anderen Rekordfahrzeugen würde nie jemand auf die Idee kommen, sie einem Alltagstauglichkeitstest zu unterziehen, aber beim Fahrrad muss es ja unbedingt sein … :confused:

AW: Battle Mountain 2013

.... schade dass der Journalist hier wieder alles ins Lächerliche zieht. Bei anderen Rekordfahrzeugen würde nie jemand auf die Idee kommen, sie einem Alltagstauglichkeitstest zu unterziehen, aber beim Fahrrad muss es ja unbedingt sein … :confused:

Hallo hering,

ich empfinde es nicht so wie du. Der Artikel ist für mich ok. Der Hinweis auf die Klingel ist doch witzig. Diese Rekordfahrzeuge sind sowieso zu nichts anderen zu gebrauchen, als ein kurzes Stück geradeaus zu fahren, wenn man ungestört durch andere ist.

Zurück
Oben Unten