VelomobileWorld-Konversation

Hätte z.B. der Wackelkontakt, der Lichtankage, in meinem M9 während der nächtlichen Abfahrt in der Geislinger Staige zugeschlagen, könnte ich gestorben sein und hier nicht schreiben!
In fact, people who race down a mountain with a velomobile at high speeds should sign a contract where if something fails they themselves are held fully liable. Some here are exactly proud to race down a mountain at 100 kph. In your case, you can still brake if your light fails. Declaring immediately that you will die if your light does not work is too ridiculous for words, exaggeration is an art. @velomobiel.nl bikes are designed primarily to safely and quickly cover distances on flat roads. Not to blast down a mountain.

Declaring immediately that you will die if your light does not work is too ridiculous for words, exaggeration is an art. @velomobiel.nl bikes are designed primarily to safely and quickly cover distances on flat roads. Not to blast down a mountain.
However, even on flat roads in the night when your light does not work suddenly you can die if you are hit by a car.
There is a certain kind of quality to be expected - even from the electric system.
I can fully understand the shock when it suddenly fails on a new bike - either going downhill (not much flat roads in my area - should I not ride it?) - or on the flat land.

However, even on flat roads in the night when your light does not work suddenly you can die if you are hit by a car.
There is a certain kind of quality to be expected - even from the electric system.
I can fully understand the shock when it suddenly fails on a new bike - either going downhill (not much flat roads in my area - should I not ride it?) - or on the flat land.
Okay but how many cases are there now where the electronics completely fail and hundreds of velomobiles are recalled to the factory? Zero. I can't follow the reasoning that you expect absolute top quality from a light that could possibly fail once. We are talking about electronics that represent peanuts compared to the value of the velomobile. And if in doubt, hang reflectors or an extra battery-operated light at the front/rear/on top. A cheap modification and problem solved. Assuming you are at immediate risk of dying when your lights don't work, just stay inside and never come out. ;)

Okay but how many cases are there now where the electronics completely fail and hundreds of velomobiles are recalled to the factory?
Zero
Wrong.
100 % from those who had Lupine and this DC/DC converter, because it was not up to the load.
And some more just because some contacts were not crimped on properly.
I can't follow the reasoning that you expect absolute top quality from a light that could possibly fail once.
It's not the light. The light is perfect. It's the funny wiring.
And if in doubt, hang reflectors or an extra battery-operated light at the front/rear/on top. A cheap modification and problem solved. Assuming you are at immediate risk of dying when your lights don't work, just stay inside and never come out. ;)
OK - I guess you never had this "lights out" situation. I had it - once. But it was my fault. The battery just died because I did not pay attention on a long distance ride and at some point it just was dead. In the middle of the night. At some speed.

Try this (even without a hill, but not on a wide, perfectly straight road - just a normal bike path or smaller road with some bends):
Ride at night - no moon, no cars, no street lamps. Try 30 km/h at first. Then switch out your light. And see how you feel.
Then imagine you are not at idle speed, but at 40 / 50 km/h, you do not know the street, it's not straight and probably with a slight slope.
It's not funny!

And that's the reason I even have two batteries and a switch to change from A to B with a flick of my wrist.
And I have used it twice this year already.

Anhänge

• 6F452D60-8677-45E9-A76D-7007B380E316.jpeg
    6F452D60-8677-45E9-A76D-7007B380E316.jpeg
    177,3 KB · Aufrufe: 158
I'd wish for some firm foam cushion there so you have support when pushing hard on the pedals. That would ease accelerating and hillclimbing.

Das kennen die Aufrechtfahrer nicht. Dass man im Sitz hochrutscht, wenn man nicht exakt symmetrisch drückt und zieht.

Das kennen die Aufrechtfahrer nicht. Dass man im Sitz hochrutscht, wenn man nicht exakt symmetrisch drückt und zieht.
Ich glaube, Du musst mal an Deiner Technik arbeiten. Ich habe schon mehrfach von Dir "Beinpresse" gelesen. Oder ist das so ein SL-Ding wegen des flachen Sitzwinkels?
Selbst an steilen Bergen habe ich immer eine Balance zwischen Ziehen und Treten - da rutsche ich nicht hoch. Das passiert nur bei fetten Schlaglöchern... (aber eigentlich OT hier)

Wrong.
100 % from those who had Lupine and this DC/DC converter, because it was not up to the load.
And some more just because some contacts were not crimped on properly.

It's not the light. The light is perfect. It's the funny wiring.

OK - I guess you never had this "lights out" situation. I had it - once. But it was my fault. The battery just died because I did not pay attention on a long distance ride and at some point it just was dead. In the middle of the night. At some speed.

Try this (even without a hill, but not on a wide, perfectly straight road - just a normal bike path or smaller road with some bends):
Ride at night - no moon, no cars, no street lamps. Try 30 km/h at first. Then switch out your light. And see how you feel.
Then imagine you are not at idle speed, but at 40 / 50 km/h, you do not know the street, it's not straight and probably with a slight slope.
It's not funny!

And that's the reason I even have two batteries and a switch to change from A to B with a flick of my wrist.
And I have used it twice this year already.
I did ride a velomobile at night once, and it was with my Snoek, a few weeks ago. I really couldn't see anything of the track and had to focus on a car in the distance. I opened the visor and tried to focus on the edge of the lane. At the same time, I was driving over speed bumps at 35 kilometers per hour. My battery had 2 lights left but I was almost home.

I have no experience riding a velomobile at night, but I felt comfortable. The fact that I knew the road is obviously a big difference. Should I not know the track now, I am not going to ride there at 40 km/h or faster either, especially at night. The dangerous situation you outline here is an extreme case where you yourself choose to drive at high speed at night on a lane you don't know on a curve you don't know where it leads. Okay then. Forgive me if I have absolutely no sympathy for that.

Even if your lights still work, you are creating a dangerous situation yourself, because you don't know what is coming. I have experienced it often enough myself in my Milan SL on roads that I do know, during the day (not at night) and where you take the gamble at 50 km/h hoping that the person in front of you won't do an idiotic maneuver.

The dangerous situation you outline here is an extreme case where you yourself choose to drive at high speed
a) 30 km/h is not a high speed for me, but if your light fails suddenly, it is still not funny.

And if there is a wide road without any cars and a slight slope I can take at 50-60 km/h with good lights (like Lupine) this is also no problem and not dangerous at all. Why creep down a hill at walking speed if you can see the road for the next few hundred meters?
at night on a lane you don't know on a curve you don't know where it leads.
b) even if I know the curve - if you can't see for a few seconds, you lose track where you are.

Try it out!

a) 30 km/h is not a high speed for me, but if your light fails suddenly, it is still not funny.

And if there is a wide road without any cars and a slight slope I can take at 50-60 km/h with good lights (like Lupine) this is also no problem and not dangerous at all. Why creep down a hill at walking speed if you can see the road for the next few hundred meters?

b) even if I know the curve - if you can't see for a few seconds, you lose track where you are.

Try it out!
Why try it out when I rarely drive at night? As you say yourself, it was your own fault, and now you have 2 batteries with you. What I'm going to do is just buy that extra battery.

His light-out-REASON was just an example for moments you´re going to need fresh pants.
Don´t give the sidewinder to us. Lights-out is the thread. And the basic thread was funny wiring which can result in Lights-out.

Why try it out when I rarely drive at night? As you say yourself, it was your own fault, and now you have 2 batteries with you. What I'm going to do is just buy that extra battery.
What also might be worth it: I wired a tiny volt-meter into my setup. Did it in the Milan, have it in the Bülk now and will also do it in the DF soon. It was a €3 investment. Now I can see the voltage with a glance between my legs. If it dips below 13.0V I find a spot to switch the battery.

Zurück
Oben Unten