Knie-Probleme und Liegerad

I've been struggling with knee problems for almost a year, and with a heavy heart I've almost completely stopped riding velomobiles.

The knee problems started without a clear trigger, i.e. no accident, hit or anything like that.

In the course of this year, various theories were already on the table. Among other things, an MRI was also made, whereby cartilage damage of the 3rd degree was found. But somehow the complaints don't fit. Unfortunately, the physio did little or nothing at all. I had a cortisone injection 3 months ago and since then things have been a lot better, although not perfect.

Today was again an interim meeting with the orthopedist. A new possible cause came up, which better fits the nature of the complaints. A "pinched" fold of the bursa. According to the orthopedic surgeon, this is something that happens quite often in footballers, and also in rowers. When I told him that I didn't ride an up bike but a recumbent bike, he said the strain was quite similar to rowing.

My question to you, concentrated forum knowledge: does anyone of you also have knee problems? Was a reason found? And which?

My concern is that at some point I have to decide whether my knee will be operated on. And since I'm not a big fan of surgeries, I tend to want to know whether you're on the right track.

Best regards
Urs

I've been struggling with knee problems for almost a year, and with a heavy heart I've almost completely stopped riding velomobiles.

The knee problems started without a clear trigger, ie no accident, hit or anything like that.

In the course of this year, various theories were already on the table. Among other things, an MRI was also made, whereby cartilage damage of the 3rd degree was found. But somehow the complaints don't fit. Unfortunately, the physio did little or nothing at all. I had a cortisone injection 3 months ago and since then things have been a lot better, although not perfect.

Today was again an interim meeting with the orthopedist. A new possible cause came up, which better fits the nature of the complaints. A "pinched" fold of the bursa. According to the orthopedic surgeon, this is something that happens quite often in footballers, and also in rowers. When I told him that I didn't ride an up bike but a recumbent bike, he said the strain was quite similar to rowing.

My question to you, concentrated forum knowledge: does anyone of you also have knee problems? What a reason found? And which?

My concern is that at some point I have to decide whether my knee will be operated on. And since I'm not a big fan of surgeries, I tend to want to know whether you're on the right track.

best regards
Urs
I've been experiencing knee problems in my right knee. Im quite young only 30. I recently had an mri the dr believes its the miniscus above my right tibia. My theory is since i live in the USA and ride on the tide side of the road my but gets slid to the right shortening the right stroke ive tried to compensate for this by adjusting my cleat position. I have a lot of steep climbs and have a lot of hard accelerations. Though my injury may not be only from riding my velomobile as i was in the military and spent a lot of time running up mountains so it could partially be from that. But i 1st noticed the knee pain on my 1st long tour last year on my velomobile both my knees were in severe pain due to the amount of climbing. I already run short 155mm cranks. I am a short guy only 5'3" approx 1.6m tall. But i primarily feel pain in my right knee 1st i believe i then shift more load to my left leg. I think the knee pain is caused by the upper body leaning to the right twisting my hips and legs. And unless the cranks can rotate to lean what ever way you are leaning i dont think theres any way to fix the issue. I beleive this applies to foreign velonauts wen rising on the left side of the road they will experience pain on their left knee. And being that we will experience this pain more often than regular recumbent riders because we ride longer distances than they do each year.

Bei mir gab es bei Trike-Fahrten Probleme mit dem linken Knie bei oder nach Steigungungen oder auch beim längeren Gehen auf harten Untergründen.

Der Orthopäde stellte eine leichte Arthrose mit Verkalkung des Meniskus fest. Ich versuche zu große Belastungen beim Radfahren zu vermeiden und plane das entsprechend, aber regelmäßiges Bewegen ist wichtig. Dann ist es auch o.k. und es gibt keine Beschwerden.

I think the knee pain is caused by the upper body leaning to the right twisting my hips and legs.
have you double checked the position of your cleats? One of them (the left one?) might be a bit more centric than it should be. Not 100% sure about that, but there must be something which moves your upper body to the right. Another possible reasion: your "chassis" is not symmetric (spinal column: scoliosis, one leg longer...) And the leaning could be a kind of compensation for that. I would give it a try and move the cleat a bit to the right. Do the cranks have the same distance to the boom? Does the q factor and does your cleat position fit your hip/your x/o legs?
Good luck with your attempts!

Ich vermute, dass sich das Knie über Monate an die Kräfte des längeren Tretens anpasst. Sie müssen sehr vorsichtig sein und es sehr langsam angehen lassen, wenn Sie das Setup ändern.

Ich hatte einige leichte Knieprobleme, als ich kurzzeitig einen Ersatz-DF hatte, während mein eigener DF repariert wurde. Ich denke, das Setup war etwas anders, der Abstand zwischen den Pedalen war etwas anders und wahrscheinlich hatten die Pedale einen etwas anderen Abstand.

Ich vermute, dass sich das Knie über Monate an die Kräfte des längeren Tretens anpasst. Sie müssen sehr vorsichtig sein und es sehr langsam angehen lassen, wenn Sie das Setup ändern.
bei kleinen Änderungen würde ich auf die eigene Achtsamkeit vertrauen und auf die sanfte Art testen. Am Besten wäre ein Physiotherapeut, der sich mit Velomobilen/trikes/Einspurern auskennt oder ein Fahrrad-Ergonom, der sich mit Liegerädern auskennt. Oder ein Velomobil/Einspurer Hersteller/Händler, der in diesem Bereich fit ist. Denke hier z.B. an die Wolf Brüder, die sich viel Zeit nehmen, um das beste set-up zu finden.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Habe zwei kaputte Knie. Seit ich nur noch 160 oder maximal 165er Kurbeln bei 182 Körpergröße fahre und deutlich kleinere Gänge habe und damit bewusst eine deutlich höhere Trittfrequenz, habe ich keine Knie Probleme mehr. Selbst gestern und heute, als ich mit viel zu viel Gepäck die 190km von Ingolstadt ins Oberallgäu an die Grenze von Österreich gefahren bin. Gestern entspannte 155 und heute 35km

Johannes

Anhänge

• 1680772014707.jpg
    1680772014707.jpg
    825,6 KB · Aufrufe: 35
  • 1680770251746.jpg
    1680770251746.jpg
    779,4 KB · Aufrufe: 37
  • 1680769743779.jpg
    1680769743779.jpg
    529,4 KB · Aufrufe: 37
  • 1680701690077.jpg
    1680701690077.jpg
    696,3 KB · Aufrufe: 38
have you double checked the position of your cleats? One of them (the left one?) might be a bit more centric than it should be. Not 100% sure about that, but there must be something which moves your upper body to the right. Another possible reason: your "chassis" is not symmetric (spinal column: scoliosis, one leg longer...) And the leaning could be a kind of compensation for that. I would give it a try and move the cleat a bit to the right. Do the cranks have the same distance to the boom? Does the q factor and does your cleat position fit your hip/your x/o legs?
Good luck with your attempts!
The leaning is a result of the trike leaning to one side due to how the roads are curved to promote water drainage. For example roads in the us have a slope down to the right side so your body leans to the right. Or if you ride on the other side of the road then your body leans to the left. I have noticed my body leans to the right and my right knee has pain, especially on long rides. Theres not really anything i can do about it cuz the roads simply arent flat and gravity takes affect i try and compensate a little bit by adjusting my cleat position so that my right foot is a little further forward than the left one is. I recently had imaging done, and the result appears that i may have a small tear in my miniscus on top of the the right tibia, i beleive it's from riding recumbe t trikes and the contributing factor above.

Ich springe mal mit meinen Knieproblemen aus dem Thread Möglichkeiten ein Velomobil mit E Motor auszurüsten hier herüber.

Ich schlage mich seit geraumer Zeit mit bisher undiagnostizierten, beidseitigen Knieproblemen herum, die z. B. im Zusammenhang mit dem Liegerad- / Velomobilfahren und aus meiner Sicht stärker auftreten wenn ich mehr Kraft zum Fahren aufwende oder häufiger fahre. Freitag, Dienstag und Mittwoch ca. 55km am Tag mit Stadtdurchgequerung haben gereicht um mich am Donnerstag den ÖPNV nehmen zu lassen. :-(

Ich habe @Delta Hotel 's Vorschlag einmal adaptiert und mit dem Smartphone meinen Bewegungsablauf im Mango aufgenommen und möchte Sie hier verlinken.

Rechtes Bein seitlich
Linkes Bein seitlich
Füße von vorne
Knie von vorne
Wadenabstand und Trittbild aus Fahrersicht

Vielleicht kann ja jemand anhand der Aufnahmen mir Tipps geben, wo eventuell Probleme in meinem Bewegungsablauf entstehen könnten.

Hmm, ich hatte auch oft mit Knieproblemen zu kämpfen (Menisken) und es wurde besser seit ich Drehzahl statt Drehmoment nutze ;)
Ansonsten sieht es eher so aus als ob dir die Kurbel zu lang wäre :X3: zu viel Winkel am Knie und stark gestreckt vorne

Vielleicht kann ja jemand anhand der Aufnahmen mir Tipps geben, wo eventuell Probleme in meinem Bewegungsablauf entstehen könnten.
Mein erster Eindruck ist das der Fuss sehr gestreckt ist: dann sind die Pedale zu weit weg.
Lösung wäre die Ferse bei ausgestrecktem Bein auf die Pedale zu setzen und dann noch 1cm zugeben.

Trittst Du richtig in die Pedale? Das sieht so aus als würdest Du die Pedale von oben "tätscheln"...

Vielleicht trägt der große Q-Faktor des BBS zu deinem Knieproblem bei.
Wenn man deine Knie von vorne betrachtet, sieht es so aus.
Gleichzeitig sind deine Kurbeln, glaub ich, zu lang und dein Tretlagerabstand zu groß.
Das kompensierst du indem deine Cleats zu weit vorne sind und du den Fuß überstreckst beim treten.
Aber vielleicht hab ich auch einfach keine Ahnung... :D

Im unteren Video stampfst du ne 65er Kadenz ins Tretlager, für mich geht das überhaupt nicht. 90er Kadenz ist ein guter Richtwert.
Ich habe den bbs02 aufgrund von Kniebeschwerden raus geworfen. Seitdem läuft es ganz gut. Für mich wäre auch das Tretlager zu weit vom sitz weg. Wenn man das Video von vorne gefilmt betrachtet, fällt der riesige Kuh Faktor auch ins Auge. Nach meiner Meinung: Motor besser raus.
Gesunde starke gelenke werden auch durch Krafttraining begünstigt. Zb Kniebeugen über den vollen Radius. Die Muskulatur sollte nach Möglichkeit auch locker und nicht verkürzt sein. Ein verspannter Vastus Medialis führt ziemlich sicher zu Knieschmerzen.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Kurbeln zu lang, bzw. Tretlager zu weit weg wäre auch meine erste Idee.
Schuhe scheinen sehr weich zu sein.
Hast du beim Treten in jedem Punkt des Bewegungsablaufs noch Drehspiel in den Cleats?

Zurück
Oben Unten