Quatrevelo or Quattrovelo Rohloff feedback

Hello everyone :

I am in Québec, Canada. Please, excuse me for not knowing German. I am almost committing to one and still not able to decide between Schlumpf mountain drive and Rolhoff. Theo from Velomobiel.nl indicated me that he can put the return chain inside the body (like Alve Henricson or Denis Boldenec) if I am small enough, but indicated me that drivetrain efficiency is lower.

Please, do you have feedback to share on Rolhoff transmission on Quatrevelo (Quattrovelo). What do you like or dislike? Has anyone been able to compare both types of transmissions?

Thank you very much,
José

I ride the QV+ #69 with 2x14x5 gearing (front derailleur, Rohloff, rear gearing).

Like:
- 140 gears should be enough for everybody (in practice it is rather 14 + whatever is needed to climb a hill or go faster).
- Rohloff has quick and precise shifting (even when not moving).
- Rohloff doesn't need adjusting.
- The chain does not jump off from the Rohloff (but I had this happen at the front and rear gearing).

Dislike:
- lower efficiency of overall system (but I can't really compare, it's my only VM yet). I ride the VM at 35-45km/h (cruise / max) on a good flat road.
- oil change once a year or every 5000km is recommended by Rohloff - inside the VM that is not as easy as on a bicycle. You either have to remove the Rohloff from the VM or have a hole at the right spot in the VM bottom. I drilled that hole myself, but would have preferred VM.nl doing that at precisely the right spot - I missed that by some mm. Not perfect, but I prefer it to having to remove the Rohloff.
- in my VM, return chain tube is below the VM CF body (but @Sutrai already made a glass fiber cover to protect that, which is very useful).

So, guess best efficiency and speed is achieved by Schlumpf MD + 11/12 rear gears and a 3wheeler (less weight and better aerodynamics).
The QV is heavier and has a bit worse aerodynamics, but offers more space and looks better. :cool:
Not sure how much I'ld like the shifting without the Rohloff / with a Schlumpf.

QV should have proper gear range because of its weight and the load it can take.
Mine had a Schlumpf MD and a 10 speed cassette, which I found to be totally adequate. 12 speed is unnecessary with a virtual second chainwheel. 11-32 10 speed has the nice spacing on the upper end, which is what you want for the faster segments. 2.5 times reduction by the Schlumpf provides the low range you want. My QV had a 75 chainring; the MD thus provides a virtual 30 t second ring — 30-32 with 20 inch rear wheels lets you climb anything.

QV should have proper gear range because of its weight and the load it can take.
Mine had a Schlumpf MD and a 10 speed cassette, which I found to be totally adequate. 12 speed is unnecessary with a virtual second chainwheel. 11-32 10 speed has the nice spacing on the upper end, which is what you want for the faster segments. 2.5 times reduction by the Schlumpf provides the low range you want. My QV had a 75 chainring; the MD thus provides a virtual 30 t second ring — 30-32 with 20 inch rear wheels lets you climb anything.
My ordered QV have also MD + 75 chainring and 11-32 (11-speed). I hope make my first ride at the end of the week with my new bike. Theo told me, only with E-assistent is Rohloff an interesting option. With the Rohloff you lose a little bit energy. How flat is Québec? I live in the Flat The Netherlands, the MD is for holidays in Germany / Belgium.

My ordered QV have also MD + 75 chainring and 11-32 (11-speed). I hope make my first ride at the end of the week with my new bike. Theo told me, only with E-assistent is Rohloff an interesting option. With the Rohloff you lose a little bit energy. How flat is Québec? I live in the Flat The Netherlands, the MD is for holidays in Germany / Belgium.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Québec is flat but there are hills. Previously I was able to bike to my job (12 km) and there was a step climb after Jacques Cartier Bridge. It is not too long but very step, but I am not in good shape today as I was before. My current bike path to the job is now 26 km and flatter.

Anhänge

• Capture d’écran du 2023-10-10 17-40-05.png
    Capture d’écran du 2023-10-10 17-40-05.png
    2,3 MB · Aufrufe: 8
I would prefer the MD for this.

Annoying is only that you have to shift the derailleur 5 to 6 gears down when the MD is switched. On steep inclines, this relatively long shifting process can take away some of the momentum.

Zurück
Oben Unten