A ride to Dronten and back in 3 parts

In May I had the excellent fortune to buy @Jedrik 's Quest XS #23. It was @Auntie Helen who brought us together and within a week after chatting a bit on Facebook, I was the owner of #23, the Little White Whale, now named Lewwie.

I've now done about 1500 km with Lewwie. As I have no vacation during summer (something with the EU, energy transition and lots of work and meetings), I use my 3 day weekend (fridays off) to ride far. For that, I need a destination and that destination was Dronten. Both as a journey to the Source and to meet the velomobiel people. Glorious weather and after a bit of fiddling with ridewithgps and booking.com, the plan was clear: I would ride from Rotterdam to Harderwijk (famous for its University!), ride from Harderwijk to Dronten, then Dronten to Soest on the same day, where I booked a bed at the Stayokay youth hostel. Then, on Sunday, I'd ride from Soest to Rotterdam along the River Lek. All comfortably within my touring range.

Recently, I've started to ride faster. I remember my maiden trip to ride Lewwie home: I did it, but I could hardly bike the distance from Rotterdam Central Station to my -very centrally located - home. A few weeks of practice and frequent riding make all the difference. I went from 28km/h cruising speed to 30km/h +.

Friday morning I left Rotterdam, zooming to a favorite coffee stop, Heeren van Maarssen in - surprise - Maarssen. Then onwards to the Dutch Hills around Laage Vuursche, doing a bit of off road riding, because this weekend, it turned out I am a bit of a route muppet. There was more off-roading to follow, but not this day. On this day, my rear mech spring broke, just outside of Baarn. I struggled to reach Baarn and a bike shop in Lewwie's lowest gear. Bike shop reached, I begged for cable binders. A very friendly and inquisitive bike mechanic supplied them, then stood around watching as I loosened the inner cable, struggled to wrap the chain around the "right" cog. At this point the mechanic reached into Lewwie, exclaimed: "so how's the shifter fitted?" And promptly pulled out the loose inner cable. Thanks!! On the other hand, I was allowed to scrub my hands at his tiny kitchen sink. Lewwie was now beautifully adorned with black fingerprints, mostly around the rear mech service lid. Oh well. The cable binder held, I could change gears with the front mech, and had miraculously chosen the correct gear. So I cycled to Nijkerk in pretty good shape. Bought white spirit in a DIY store and cleaned up Lewwie a bit.

Still, it was hot, the cycling was worrisome (wondering whether the cable binder would hold, worrying about the state of the front mech, chain tension) But Lewwie showed itself the tough Velo it is and brought me to the doorstep of Nijkerk's midget golf headquarters. Two non-alcohol beers later, and I felt I was able to crack on to Harderwijk, but not by my original route. I figured riding an extra 15 km wouldn't be worth it, and hurtled myself slightly downhill to Harderwijk. 22 km, easy enough. And it was. Still did about 30km/h, so my average speed didn't suffer too much.

Harderwijk is quite touristy in summer. I had booked a room at Hotel Marktzicht, which is situated in Harderwijk's Market square. Lots of people eating and drinking outside. Mainly drinking. "Oh look, a dildo shaped bike!" I overheard as I ran the gauntlet of Harderwijk's "al fresco" scene. It was great to relax, have dinner, a couple of extra "beers" (isotonic fluids) and so to bed.

Next morning. D Day. I was worried that I would have difficulty descending and climbing Harderwijk's aquaduct. But it all went smoothly, and soon I was on course for Dronten. The chain was skipping to a lower gear now, so, with a speed too low for my liking, I made it to Dronten. Theo's diagnosis: a broken, irreplaceable spring, so he put in a new rear mech unit, and lovingly straightened out some minor issues. Meanwhile he casually gave instructions on things to look out for and hear (creaks, rattling noises, spokes threatening to pull through front wheel rims). I mentioned Helen. Oh, surprise, Theo said, we're expecting her at 1 PM. I decided to hang around for that, as I already was ahead of schedule for my destination that night, Soest. And indeed, at a quarter to one, Ralf's van pulled up, with Helen in it, and the "new" old Versatile plus Millie. Velomobiles: it's a small world.

Hugs and goodbyes and a straightened out Lewwie: I was ready to leave for Soest. This would turn out to be the afternoon of massive routing failure (mine) and lots of off-roading through Flevoland, province of straight, long, concrete bike paths. I struggled to make it to Nijkerk. The main road to Nijkerk from Zeewolde turned out to be closed for reconstruction. Lots of google maps consultations and I learned I would be able to use an illegal shortcut via a campground. As I turned right onto Nulderdijk to Nijkerk, my heart skipped a beat. Yay! Flevoland would release me after all. Again, some isotonic fluids and a little rest at the campground cafe. After that, the ride to Soest was relaxing and interesting, and I was there sooner than I anticipated. Not a bad day, and despite all misdirection, an average speed just shy of 24 km/h. The youth hostel was lovely, but my roommate turned out to be a snorer. So, without too much sleep...

Sunday: day of the big river ride. A bit of "drempeling" got me out of Soest's gorgeous villa parks and on the road to Utrecht. I left Soest at a quarter past eight, figuring that early morning would be good for riding through Utrecht. And it was. For once, my routing turned out to be spot on. And after overtaking many roadies, I was on Lekdijk. I figured I would have a drink at the ferry cafe in Schoonhoven and I did, after speeding along the river, 38 km/h and steady for a good while. Something I learned from kayaking: paddle harder for half an hour, then drop back a little and you'll find you have higher average cruising speed. Worked for me as I raced road bikers towards Schoonhoven. Stopped at the ferry cafe, many people around who were on a break and had a diet coke, some more swigs from the bidon, a protein bar and then I was ready for home. Stopped at the Krimpen ferry and bumped into the recumbent trike rider who is the organizer of the local HSL rides. And so to Rotterdam, along familiar roads.

The entire weekend looks as if it was full of mishaps. And in a way it was. But it also taught me that lots can be fixed with cable binders and that the Quest XS will get me to my destination. I fixed things, and stuck to Mike Hall's wise words: "if you get lost, get unlost". Brilliant riding, all round, and a bike to be grateful for. 27.4 km/h average on that last ride. Not bad for an amateur.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Next, cycling to Geraardsbergen, to the TCR start, where I'm volunteering. It's not a velo crowd, so I wonder what the opinions are, also now that Marcel Graber has won TABR.

@roffa : Nice and diverting read. But could you perhaps provide some photos next time? I would love to get a visual impression of your region, so renowned for ideal cycling conditions.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I'll add what I shot during the ride. I hope the photos are *cough* informative.

About those "ideal cycling conditions": Dutch cycling infrastructure is wonderful if you ride a diamond frame bike. If you're velomobiling, it has its disadvantages: changing road sides, right angle turns, the list goes on. A good bet, when routing in NL is to follow waterways: they're the oldest infrastructure we have, in The Netherlands, for obvious reasons. Also historic infrastructure, like dikes, that used to be along waterways offers excellent routing. And, in contrast, very new infrastructure, between or in new housing developments is usually excellent. I admit, my routing in Flevoland was somewhat of a failure, but for my route from Soest to Rotterdam, I used a lot of "old and historic roads and waterways". Here's the track:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28040710

Zurück
Oben Unten