Snoek von Velomobiel.nl (war: Quest RS)

Hi everyone,

This morning, it was warmer (17°c) and almost no wind (4km/h from the SW), I decided to put a bit more watts to match the load of the 15th of September 2020 ride with the DF. Well, I was 12 W too short, but still, I was 4km/h faster. The temperature was lower in September compared to today (12.2°C vs 17°C), which impacts a bit the rolling resistance, but the latex tube are reducing this impact.

2-JUN-21 vs 3-JUN-21 speed curves.jpg

Snoek vs DF morning short loop 2.jpg
@Sunny Werner ,
Not having a velomobile for a couple of months + working >60 hours per week was the perfect recipe to gain weight. For sure, eating less and cycling more is what works the best. I have a bit more than 3 months to lose at least 5kg :)

Hello Everyone,

This morning the weather conditions were near optimum to collect datas with the Snoek:
Weather conditions 20210604.jpg
I went to the Kettelmeer to cycle on the cycle path located near the water. The asphalt quality is OK, but not smooth. Since the Kettelmeerdijk is closed in the middle of it, the whole track is in 3 sections:
  • Vossmeerdijk (the most eastern part)
  • Kettelmeerdijk East
  • Kettelmeerdijk West
Track Vossmeerdijk from West to East.jpg
The Snoek was in commuting setup excepted for the front tires: I have put the Michelin Bleu 35-406 with latex tube. Here is the summary of the setup :
  • Front wheels : Michelin bleu 35-406 + latex tube at 90PSI on Alexrim DA16
  • Rear wheel: Continental GP 5000 TL 25-622 at 7 bar on DT Swiss 460d
  • Racecap
  • Rear lights, horn, blinkers; front light dismounted
  • 1 mirror
  • System weight (rider, Sneok, luggage) : 97kg
The purpose was to collect data on this track, running from East to West and after that from West to East and average the values. I wanted to have a good data point at 50km/h and a good one at 60km/h. Here are the results :

Graph Speed Power Vossmeerdijk from East to West.jpg

Graph Speed Power Vossmeerdijk from West to East.jpg
Vossmeerdijk 20210604 summary.jpg

Here is the summary of for the Kettelmeerdijk (for the 50km/h data point collection :

Kettelmeerdijk 20210604 summary.jpg

As reference, the DF under race condition: lowered by 15mm, very smooth asphalt, Erlköning 28-406 + latex tube at 8 bar, Vittoria Corsa Speed 23-622 at 9 bar, no light, no horn, 1 mirror: it required 192W to ride at 60km/h.

When I have time and when the conditions will be right, I will set up my Snoek under race conditions:
  • Lowering the Snoek by 15mm
  • Rear wheel: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25-622
  • No lights, no horn
  • Inner mirror.
  • Improved drive chain
  • Large chain ring.
Have a nice weekend !
Greetings, Clément

Anhänge

• Graph Speed Power Kettelmeerdijk East from East to West.jpg
    Graph Speed Power Kettelmeerdijk East from East to West.jpg
    66,8 KB · Aufrufe: 11
  • 1622809856675.png
    1622809856675.png
    146 KB · Aufrufe: 14
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
hi Clement,
by how much is the cross-sectional area smaller than for the df?
Best regards, Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Apologies, but I don't know the exact frontal area of the DF, neither of the Snoek.
Most probably, the front area of the Snoek is smaller.

With kind regards
Clément
The frontal area is definitely smaller; by how much is unknown. What is known is the widest point of the Snoek is almost the same as the DF yet the DF has open wheel wells, thus the Snoek is slightly smaller there; in addition the Snoek is lower than the DF which results in a smaller frontal area in both axes. From memory the Snoek is said to have a frontal area over 20% less than the Quest XS, so if someone knows the difference between the Quest XS and the DF then we could make a better approximation.

Ich bin endlich das Snoek Probe gefahren.
In echt sieht es noch viel toller aus als auf den Fotos die hier bis jetzt gezeigt wurden. Mit meinen 1,79 cm, Schuhgröße 42, pass ich noch eingermassen rein allerdings muss ich mit 140er Kurbel fahren um nirgends mit den Schuhen anzustossen. Der Knackpunkt sind die Schultern. In der optimalen Sitzposition war es mir zu eng. Wenn ich ca. 1-2 cm tiefer käme wäre es perfekt. Diese Einstellung war aber nicht auf die schnelle zu machen, da z.B. am Sitz unten etwas hätte abgeschnitten werden müssen. Mit so kurzen Kurbel war es für mich auch ungewohnt.
Es fährt sich fantastisch. Dass es extrem tief ist merkte ich nur daran, dass ich völlige problemlos mit der Hand auf dem Boden kam. Ohne Haube war es nicht sonderlich schwer die 50 km/h zu halten.
Leider hatte der Vorführer noch kein Naca Duct. Das hätte mich schon interessiert wieviel Luft da rein kommt. Toll ist, dass der Öffnungsbereich viel größer ist als z.B. beim DF. Es fühlt sich freier an. Wird bei Regen aber ohne Haube/Deckel mehr Wasser reinkommen.
Ich denke mal, dass ich mit etwas Anpassung durch den freundl. Velomobilhändler im Norden hineinpassen werden. Das Teil ist extrem eng, aber ich denke dass ich mich schnell daran gewöhnen kann.
Super fand ich auch die Wartungsluke unten. Interessant wäre es zu wissen wieviel Geschwindigkeit es kosten würde wenn man unten offen fährt.

Fazit: Mit dem Snoek ist velomobiel.nl ein ganz großer Wurf gelungen. Es können sich alle freuen die hineinpassen. Hier noch ein paar Fotos:

20210603_085132.jpg

20210603_085155.jpg

20210603_092949.jpg

20210603_092939.jpg

20210603_093801.jpg

20210603_091601.jpg

60.4 kph @ 174w. Amazing! When will we see a 1hr attempt?

Yirgachef, may I ask if you are measuring at the pedals or at the rear wheel? I skim read the 48 pages but couldn't see. Milan seems to be measured at the rear wheel.

Sorry if this has already been stated explicitly.

Very helpful! Thanks @yirgacheff

The Snoek is fast! I'm looking forward to comparing 35x406 to 44x406 bleu tires. So far, I only have data / experience on 44mm.

braucht jemand ein paar cm von meiner Beinlänge? Ich hätte ca 15 cm abzugeben, für die Model-Karriere ist es eh zu spät. Ich will auch in ein Snoek passen!!!

Zurück
Oben Unten