"Best" bicycle pump (easy to store inside velomobile)

I've checked 10 pages here without information about bicycle pumps. Are here people using a larger pump than size mini? I have one larger SKS laying at home but too big to carry inside the velomobile. In the past I had the Zefal profil Mini RG01 in my Milan SL. Thanks.

A little story:
For about a decade my preference was a small pump that enabled me to change the tube and limp to the nearest gas station to pump-up the tire to a useful pressure. Worked reasonably well, but one day the task of inflating a 55-559 Almotion at -5°C with a Lezyne Micro Floor pump* left a lot to be desired in the convenience department. A few month earlier, inflating the same tire with the same pump at +5°C in rain wasn't too much fun either.

Then I stumbled upon a link to the Fumpa Pump. Its €160 price tag put me off a tiny bit, though (to say the least).

After visiting the website and several Fumpa Pump videos on Youtube for about 6 month, I figured: "Fuck it! Just get the damn thing already!"

Now, three years later, I've never regretted to shell-out the money. Actually, I got two of them now. Totally worth its price tag** and if one would die today, I'll order a new one tomorrow (maybe not, because their customer service is pretty good!).
Sure, a flat is still inconvenient, but inflating a flat tire in 30-40 sec to its ideal pressure (up to 8.3bar) is even kind of fun now. Especially if you have spectators or help a fellow cyclist in need. Even at home, I usually choose the Fumpa over the SKS Rennkompressor any day.

*in comparison, the Lezyne is simply utter crap
**but only the full sized Fumpa Pump with LED-pressure gauge and battery capacity to inflate 4-6 tires! While the smaller Fumpa pump models cost less and are a bit smaller***, without the pressure gauge and skimpy batter capacity (1-2 tires), they seem wildly overpriced to me.
***the full size Fumpa Pump has about the size of two packs of cigarettes

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I've checked 10 pages here without information about bicycle pumps. Are here people using a larger pump than size mini? I have one larger SKS laying at home but too big to carry inside the velomobile. In the past I had the Zefal profil Mini RG01 in my Milan SL. Thanks.
Hello Peter,
a pump in a VM shouldn't be such an issue!?
Compared to racing or even TT bikes, you have all the storage space in the world!
From standard frame attached pumps (with a flexible hose) to the micro-pumps you can mount to the bottle carrier (it's only 20" of volume, isn't it!?) to small scale compressors (motorcycle equippment) with or without battery, every one will easily fit into the hull. I'd go for the weight, not the size.
My favorites are the mini pumps, which I have mounted to all bikes. The high pressure / low volume for race bike and VM, the low pressure / high volume for MTB and commuter bike. To pump up tire maybe two times a year, it's absolutely ok. At home, I prefer my 25 years old SKS floor pump, still good for +12 bar.

Marc is absolutly wright, no chance against FUMPA PUMP I have to admit... but 160 bucks

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Anhang anzeigen 310309
On which VM does that pumps fit? Looks quite huge and "clumsy"!?
You need the "Elbow nozzle kit" with the current model. Till about a year ago, the "full size" Fumpa came with this "nozzle kit" already installed.

WDELBV10_10_1024x1024.jpg

Ich fahr nen Milan. Damit geht das kontrollieren des Reifendrucks oder nachpumpen schneller als Ventilkappe abschrauben. Dank LED-Anzeige auch bei Sonnenschein, im Schatten des VMs oder in völliger Dunkelheit.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Leider derzeit überall ausverkauft / nicht lieferbar. Finde ich auch ganz interessant, gerade jetzt in der Dunkel/Kalt/Schmuddel-Zeit

Mein Tipp zur kalten Jahreszeit: Nehmt eine maximal ineffiziente Handpumpe, dann kühlt ihr ausserhalb des VMs nicht so stark ab beim Reifen flicken :ROFLMAO:
Die Fumpa sieht wirklich gut aus, das Winkelventil hatte ich auf der Seite nicht gesehen. Ist mir aber zu groß/schwer, ich fahre mit dem VM allerdings auch nicht zur Arbeit, da sieht das natürlich ganz anders aus. Für 1x Reifen Aufpumpen im Jahr (bzw. weniger - bis jetzt...) bleibe ich bei der handbetriebenen Einfachlösung und muss mich auch nicht über einen selbstentladenen Akku ärgern, falls ich sie dann doch mal brauche.
Im Reisemotorrad klemmt so eine Akkupumpe als Billigversion für knapp über 50€ unter der Sitzbank.
Funktioniert super - in der Regel aber bei anderen Mopetten.

Hello Peter,
a pump in a VM shouldn't be such an issue!?
Compared to racing or even TT bikes, you have all the storage space in the world!
From standard frame attached pumps (with a flexible hose) to the micro-pumps you can mount to the bottle carrier (it's only 20" of volume, isn't it!?) to small scale compressors (motorcycle equippment) with or without battery, every one will easily fit into the hull. I'd go for the weight, not the size.
My favorites are the mini pumps, which I have mounted to all bikes. The high pressure / low volume for race bike and VM, the low pressure / high volume for MTB and commuter bike. To pump up tire maybe two times a year, it's absolutely ok. At home, I prefer my 25 years old SKS floor pump, still good for +12 bar.
So which one do you prefer for a mini pump? I have read several types here now and would like to order one tomorrow. Also, I am still asking myself which type of tyre levers are good. I found these 2 in a test. One is from bbb cycling and the other one tyre glider

Anhänge

• 31-1666785882 (1).png
    31-1666785882 (1).png
    152,5 KB · Aufrufe: 5
  • 29-1666785882.png
    29-1666785882.png
    46,4 KB · Aufrufe: 5
Also, I am still asking myself which type of tyre levers are good. I found these 2 in a test. One is from bbb cycling and the other one tyre glider
For three or four years now, I'm completely happy with the Petro's tyre levers. Every one of my cycles got a pair of Petro's in its tool bag.
96741-00-d-157107.jpg

A very close second are the classic old Michelin tire levers made from yellow plastic (the current orange ones are made from a different plastic, they will all break after some use and hence are totally worthless). Still got two of those yellow ones (going strong after a good dozen years of use) and plan to take them with me, just in case I need to change some tires in the coffin.

Untitled-1.jpg

The Petro's are much sturdier, though.

Actually, the Tip Top tire levers that come with the patch sets ain't particularly special, but not bad either.

proxy-image

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
So which one do you prefer for a mini pump? I have read several types here now and would like to order one tomorrow. Also, I am still asking myself which type of tyre levers are good. I found these 2 in a test. One is from bbb cycling and the other one tyre glider
I have several types of micro pumps in use, SKS, Lezyne, Topesk, etc. As long as there is a hose, they all work well on VM wheels with discs.
As for levers - I use the orange Michelin levers, working well even on a Pro One TLE with Fratelli rims, but it was some work.

Zurück
Oben Unten