World Championships 2020 / Cycle Vision / A race in the park

Vielleicht kann mir ja jemand schlüssige (!) Antworten auf die Fragen geben.
Hi Martin,

thanks for being my sparring partner again! Hope we can meet soon again although there is no Cycle Vision/A Race in the Park on the agenda yet. I think the last World Championships was one of the most transparant and well documented ever, I think others already posted links to ligfiets.net but let me once repeat, since it also extensively documents our motivation:

This ranking system was very carefully designed, and well discussed in advance. We encourage other World Championships to copy it.
It features separate rankings for the various vehicle classes, and the way it 'averages' across races is based on speed. Simple, elegant and easy to manage.

In terms of transparency, we shared the spreadsheet with the entire world as a Google document:

You should understand that there are only a few hours, in which a lot of other things are going on, to collect all the race results and arrange all the rows and columns such that the correct overall result is calculated. And even then we rely on the alertness of the participants to point out errors like the one you mention here, with an unfinished race not being properly marked as such (I just fixed that, this is the first time I hear about it). That is precisely the purpose of sharing the Google doc.

When I received the output from Gerard (who manages the timing system) I did notice that the Spaarnwoude results were using the wrong track length. You are asking why, well I think Gerard changed the track length when we moved between places and accidentally applied it to the Spaarnwoude races as well. Anyway, I did not have time to ask him to fix that, but instead I just multiplied all Spaarnwoude speeds by a factor 3.2/2.5, so the correct speeds were used for the overall ranking. This is very transparently reflected in the formulas used in the spreadsheet!

Later (after the event) I added extra columns to the Spaarnwoude results that contain the correct speeds, because some people (including yourself) asked for it. This does not affect the overall ranking since I already accounted for that from the beginning.

Also because you asked for it, I now also added a column 'corrected speed' to the 3/6 hour race results. It multiplies the speed by 2 for 3-hour racers. Again, this does not affect the overall ranking because that already contained the factor 2 in the underlying formulas.

For those who want to race this winter, we have three indoor races on the Agenda. After some delays due to Covid restrictions the sky seems to be clearing up.
The dates are now 20 February (Amsterdam-Sloten), 6 March (Alkmaar) and 3 April (Apeldoorn).

Hi Rembrandt,

thank you for shining a light on the intricacies of how all the strange numbers came to appear in the lists. Now it sounds much clearer.

thanks for being my sparring partner again!
I'm always happy to do so. ;) And I'm also looking forward to seeing you and the team from the WK again soon.

Thank you for taking your time to explain the details. I stand corrected on a number of points and take a bow. What I saw in the initial results did not (at first glance) reflect the points system I had read about beforehand. I could not have just sent a link to a friend without extensive follow-up questions or explanations. And I was tired. :LOL: I'll take my time to have another close look at the results.

Thanks for the dates for the indoor races. I'd really like to attend, it's a long way, though.

Best regards!

Ihr solltet bei der UCI mitfahren
Bitte nicht - ein viel zu tiefer Teller, um über den Rand zu schauen. :D
Wieviele Rennen wurden letztes Jahr ausgetragen? Nachwuchsfahrer?
Die Frage ist doch immer, wo der Kern des Problems liegt. Ich meine mich zu erinnern, dass es allgemein im Sport Schwierigkeiten mit dem Nachwuchs gibt. Das ist aber er ein gesellschaftliches Problem, dass wir immer weniger Bindungen und Verpflichtungen eingehen und das werden wir in unserer Nische nicht lösen.
Je verschrobener wir rüber kommen, desto schwerer wird es Junge anzuziehen. Transparenz bei Veranstaltungen, besonders einer WM ist dabei eben auch wichtig. Im Automobilsport wird das mit bestimmten Modell-Cups gemacht - aktuell z.B. im E-Bereich, um das anzufeuern.

Hab kurz das google-doc angeschaut und ganz ehrlich - so wie VV in einer Gesamtwertung dominieren macht die einfach keinen Sinn. Selbst wesentlich stärkere UV Fahrende haben keine Chance auf einen Treppchenplatz. Entweder einen Korrekturfaktor für die Gesamtwertung oder weg lassen (meine unwesentliche Meinung).

Warum wurde @dooxie im 20-Minuten-Krit voll gewertet?
ich hatte das erst nach der Siegerehrung verstanden, als sie sagten ich läge knapp nach Ymte auf Platz 4.
Nachdem es für die Gesamtwertung keine Auswertung hatte, hab ich dann nicht weiter nachgebohrt. Meiner Meinung nach ein Versehen bei der Auswertung.

Meiner Meinung nach ein Versehen bei der Auswertung.
Wie gesagt, da bin ich gar nicht böse drum. Ich finde ohnehin ein System am besten, bei dem Jede/r einen Patzer haben kann.
Nehmen wir an, Matze dominiert die WM wie im letzten Jahr, hat seinen Platzer aber im Stundenrennen nach weniger als der Hälfte, bekommt kein Ersatzfahrzeug, schiebt zum Start, repariert den Reifen und fährt z.B. noch ein, zwei Runden. Die Gesamtwertung wäre futsch, obwohl sportlich die beste Leistung abgerufen wurde. Das finde ich nicht gerecht.

Prinzipiell finde ich das Punktesystem wie im letzten Jahr (hust-jetzt-da-ich-ahem-es-voll-und-ähhh-ganz-nachvollziehen-kann-hust) plus z.B. Extrapunkte für die fünf Erstplatzierten eines jeden Rennens (z.B. 7-5-3-2-1) oder so am besten. Das hat sich in vergleichbaren Sportarten bewährt. Ob man für die Gesamtwertung nur die besten drei Resultate einbringt, wäre z.B. auch noch diskutabel.

To avoid any explanations just race faster next time...
Really? Are we really doing this? Well, Christian, I have been an athlete for the last 40 years or so. And I've learned my bit of shit talk, believe me. Always hated it, though. So, as you asked for it, here's the first nice version:
Wow, great advice! THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's genius! Same to you (y). Okay, you did the long race on Sunday, and kudos to you for that.
But remind me again in which of the first three races exactly, in which we were pitched against each other directly, did you beat me? Just asking ... not for a friend ... :unsure:
That was just an easy warm up. Enough? Or do you want to play more? There's a lot more where this came from, and much more unpleasant stuff, too. I learned from the best, and for a looong time.

Considering the time and effort I felt quite good about my achievements.
Thinking back I still feel quite good about my achievements. I mean there are really experienced people out there. And nice people to talk to. An overall great experience. Eighth (not shameless enough in the first race because of my good upbringing) with a top speed of 70 kph, two seventh places in Spaarnwoude, nice average speeds, it was all fine with me.
I just chose to race the 3hr-race. So what.
My feet hurt as I knew they would. They still hurt two weeks later. Why in all the world would I race for 6 hours?

If you are the first there is nothing more to explain.
Yeah, riiight ... see above (the bits in orange). I have a group of friends who sometimes send a link to a results page. They ran a Marathon or did a tt on an upright or a leg of a triathlon relay or such. So they did 40k in 53'37" or their girlfriend ran a marathon in 2:52 hrs. Then I know they did an average of 44 to 45 kph or she ran at an average of just above 4 minutes per kilometre. Simple. No equations, no calculator. I send congratulations.
If I send them a link, they will try and understand, blink, laugh, ask for proof of the thousand metres vertical at that speed, and in my shame :LOL: I will send them a screenshot of my Garmin data. Only then they will understand. That's the difference.
The official results have to show numbers everybody can understand -- time, distance, points, overall points. That is and was my point.

I have competed in hundreds and won dozens of races in my time. Many of them much bigger than the HPV Worlds, some of them much bigger challenges, racing alone against several strong teams or in really strong fields, thanks. I am not willing to sacrifice that much any more. I still want to race. I'm fine with any result as long as I feel I did my best.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Sorry @MartinL - ich glaube, Du hast was in den falschen Hals bekommen bzw. siehst das doch ernster als ich dachte.
Mein Kommentar war damit wieder maximal unpassend und eher augenzwinkernd gemeint. War wohl nicht so gut.
Mir persönlich ist der Platz auch total egal wenn ich mit mir selbst zufrieden bin und Du wirst mich sicher auch in jedem Rennen abziehen - außer im Courier Race…
Ich bin null Sportler und habe keinen Plan von Training und fand es nur cool, so einfach mal schnell auf Strecke mit Cracks fahren zu können. Habe auch immer Platz gemacht.
Du siehst das wohl mehr als echten Wettbewerb (was es ja ist) aber da bin ich raus.
Also verzeih meine blöden Kommentare. Ich versuche, mich damit zurückzuhalten. Es ist ja gut, wenn den Sport auch jemand ernst nimmt.

Sorry @MartinL - ich glaube, Du hast was in den falschen Hals bekommen
Nee, alles gut. Ich habe mir nur von so vielen Leuten schon Sport erklären lassen müssen ... die dann den Helm falschherum aufsetzen. Ich habe mehr als meinen Anteil an Shittalk gehabt, selber bestimmt auch mal peinliche Sachen abgeliefert, und werde da vielleicht etwas zu schnell getriggert.

Nur aus Interesse, was hast Du denn erwartet wenn Du so Sprüche raushaust?

siehst das doch ernster als ich dachte.
Eigentlich habe ich lang und genau erklärt wieso ich das ernst nehme, aber nicht verbissen sehe. Aber wenn es mir ans Bein plätschert, dann ist meine Blase auch auf einmal sehr voll. ;) Sorry.

Wie gesagt, für mich war die WM ein super Erlebnis. Ich bin mit meinen Leistungen zufrieden und habe ganz ordentlich abgeliefert. Aber ich hab auch noch ein echtes Leben, das höher priorisiert ist.

Ich freue mich auch, Dich beim nächsten Rennen zu sehen und zu quatschen. No hard feelings.

Wie gesagt, für mich war die WM ein super Erlebnis. Ich bin mit meinen Leistungen zufrieden und habe ganz ordentlich abgeliefert. Aber ich hab auch noch ein echtes Leben, das höher priorisiert ist.

Ich freue mich auch, Dich beim nächsten Rennen zu sehen und zu quatschen. No hard feelings.
Puh. Ich bin beruhigt. Nochmal sorry für mein loses Mundwerk.
Du bist ein super Typ und ich will hier keinen verärgern oder runter machen. Es war ein blöder Spruch. Mehr nicht.

Ich bin auch zufrieden - war eine tolle Erfahrung (und Quälerei). Und Du fährst mir sicher immer weg. :rolleyes:

Du bist ein super Typ und ich will hier keinen verärgern oder runter machen.
Das gebe ich gerne zurück. Sorry, wenn ich auf bestimmt Themen sensibel reagiere.
Ich bin auch zufrieden - war eine tolle Erfahrung (und Quälerei).
Dafür, dass Du immer behauptest, kein Sportler zu sein und von Training keine Ahnung zu haben, bist Du viel zu schnell. :LOL:
Und Du fährst mir sicher immer weg.
Und wenn nicht, dann hast sicher Du nichts falsch gemacht. So isses nu mal. :giggle:

Die sind bei einem Rundkurs von wenigen Kilometern „angekommen“. Haben sich nicht verfahren ?
HHB = Hamburg - Berlin Da hat Stephan geliefert, darum ging's.

Irgenwie hat er jetzt so das Recht, großsspurige Ansagen zu machen. Muss aber natürlich weiter liefern, sonst verfällt das. :LOL:

Zurück
Oben Unten