Winter tyre - 30-40mm 559

(With apologies for English).

I went for a ride today, and discovered that roads that have had no traffic on them apart from farm vehicles can be a bit 'exciting' - ice plus rain make for some slippery hills. Fortunately I only slipped on the way up - a few times I had to actually get out, walk and push - even reversing to get better traction failed me.

I'm therefore wanting to get a rear tyre with better grip (currently running a Marathon Plus that the previous owner had fitted - with Kojaks on the front). I do have a Continental Contact Speed, but I don't think this will help - I didn't really trust these in slippery conditions.

On the Alleweder I used to use Marathon Winters when things were terrible, or Marathon GT 365s for most Scottish winters (not much snow, and a mix of ice and rain).

However, these don't fit on my WAW - I have a 2017 model, with suspension, and the advice from Stephane is to not fit anything wider than a 42mm tyre (I have a 559 rear wheel). This unfortunately means that I cannot fit the Continental Top Winter or Contact Urban either (too wide).

Does anyone have any other tyres in 559 that might give reasonable grip in winter, and are no wider than 42mm? G-one allround? Or should I just go with a narrower rear tyre and put the Continental GP in 28-599? I prefer wider tyres, but if it will give me grip...!

Thanks,
Phil

You could use a 24" (507) rear wheel with a wide 24" tire. Marathon Winter comes in 24" (47-507), for instance.

Thanks Marc - that is an option.

I'm hoping to avoid buying a new wheel for the velomobile. My wife is still getting over the shock that even 2nd hand, it cost more than we usually pay for our cars :) Long term if I do get another wheel I was thinking of 584 to give more choice of faster tyres.

Vredestein Moiree 35-559

Reverse mounted (against rotation suggested by manufacturer) with good grip on snow.
I use this configuration since ten years commuting near the Alps.

BR Harald

Thanks Harald. I can't find any UK places that stock this - and thanks to our genius politicians, purchasing something from a web shop in the rest of Europe is now much more difficult than it used to be. The UK Vredestein website does not even list it - would it go by a different name?

Ich fahre den G-One Allround in 42-584 auf dem DF. Die Noppen der Lauffläche sollten Grip geben, vor allem wenn man nicht auf Maximaldruck pumpt. Auf einem Steilstück im Wald, nass und mit rutschigem Blattbelag. Bin ich allerdings neulich nicht mehr vom Fleck gekommen, nachdem ich einmal angehalten hatte. Reifen war auf Maximaldruck. Mit dieser Einschränkung kann ich den empfehlen.

Schwalbe Durano, now called Schwalbe One, have a good grip when wet. And new tires better than old tires since the rubber gets hard over time.

Ich fahre den G-One Allround in 42-584 auf dem DF. Die Noppen der Lauffläche sollten Grip geben, vor allem wenn man nicht auf Maximaldruck pumpt. Auf einem Steilstück im Wald, nass und mit rutschigem Blattbelag. Bin ich allerdings neulich nicht mehr vom Fleck gekommen, nachdem ich einmal angehalten hatte. Reifen war auf Maximaldruck. Mit dieser Einschränkung kann ich den empfehlen.
If 42-559 (roughly ø 643mm) is the biggest tire that fits the WAW, the 42-584 G-One Alround (ø 668mm) ist too big. With a bit of luck and a true rim, the 35-584 G-One Allround (ø 654mm), or the X-One Allround Evo in 33-584 (ø 650mm) might fit.

I've got the 2019 (pre Addix) G-One Allround Evo on my 584 wheel. Wet grip even unter 5°C is about on par with the GT365 as long as it got some thread left (can't feel much of a difference, except the GT365 being much louder and slower). The tread only lasts about 2.300km though (two tires).

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Vielen Dank an alle

I shall plan for a 584 wheel some time in the future when any larger bike related purchases might be allowed. (In addition to just buying the WAW, I've also purchased a 6x3m log cabin for the garden - mainly to store and work on the velomobile in all weathers!) The G-one Allround sounds like a good choice when I do get this wheel.

Short term I'll try and find something better than the Marathon Plus in 559 - Durano/One, Conti GP or maybe even Marathon Supreme which I've used before and was somewhere between Marathon Plus (poor grip) and Marathon GT 365 (good grip). It all depends what I can find in stock from UK resellers - Brexit is a sad reality now, and those of us Brits who wanted to stay in Europe now just have to live with the consequences of a foolish political stunt ...

With a WAW you should be able to use this winter tyre in 50-559 - worked for me when I still had my Milan GT

Thanks Tim - unfortunately I have rear suspension, and Stephane from Katanga has said that 42mm is the widest that will fit on a WAW with rear suspension - any wider will rub when cornering hard. It's a shame as I was hoping to use that exact tyre in the winter on the back.

I'm going to try a Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard - as it has a reputation for good grip in wet conditions, and I can get one easily.

Thanks again to all of you for the input, and further justification for a future purchase of a 584 wheel :)
Phil

Thanks Tim - unfortunately I have rear suspension, and Stephane from Katanga has said that 42mm is the widest that will fit on a WAW with rear suspension - any wider will rub when cornering hard. It's a shame as I was hoping to use that exact tyre in the winter on the back.
Did you try to mount a 50-559 in your WAW?

Its a bit hard to discern from online images where exactly the tire would rub at the rear suspension, but it looks like its about where the side knobs of the GT365 are. Since the GT365 in 50-559 is only 45mm wide on my 25mm wide rim, the GT365 might actually fit just fine. The knops would withstand some occasional rubbing and you could even cut the corners of the side knops away with a knife,

hs475_schwalbe_marathon-gt-365.png

pic13.jpg

Thanks Marc - I haven't tried a 50mm tyre as I don't have any 50-559 tyres, and I didn't want to buy a tyre just to find it didn't fit. I've placed an order for a 42mm wide Pasela TG (folding) to keep me going in the meantime. I know several people who have hard tail (no suspension) WAWs have fitted 50mm wide tyres in without issues.

Stephane said that tyres wider than 42mm mostly rubbed on the chain protection covers (during hard cornering) which are not shown in the photo you found. My view was that as I'm at the heavier end of things (94 kg) I probably shouldn't risk it - having a rear blow out due to rubbing the sidewall is not something that I'm keen to experience! The chain cover (black carbon) that is used with rear suspension (blue metalwork plus shock at the top) can be seen more clearly in https://www.katanga.eu/waw-300/

But you are right - I might get away with it. I will stick some tape/foam to the sidewalls of my existing 40-559 at the weekend and see how much additional space there actually is - the Conti Top Contact Winter (50mm), or even Contact Urban (47) would be nice to fit in. I'm reluctant to remove the chain cover in winter - this is exactly the time that I want to protect the chain from all the salt that is put on our roads.

Thanks again for the very helpful input.

Despite these minor inconveniences of finding the right tyres - I am loving the WAW. It is a big improvement over the Alleweder, and I'm not really missing any motor assistance either - I just have ridiculously low gears (Mountain drive + 53t up front, 11-36t 10-speed SRAM at the back). With 127mm crank arms I'm not comfortable at cadences of less than 80 rpm for very long - so the low gears are useful.

Phil

Hi all,
I thought I should probably give an update for the sake of future searches.

I ended up getting a second 559 wheel which was centred properly on the axle. The Katanga one I had was definitely biased to the left (i.e. rim was closer to the side without the cassette) and could not even fit a 42mm Panasonic Pasela tyre on. With the new (centred) wheel I was then able to fit wider tyres, and after increasing the size of the cutout in the bottom of the WAW tail, could ride with larger tyres.

IMG_20210205_143844.jpg IMG_20210205_143847.jpg

I'm now using a Continental Top Contact Winter II (50-559). I haven't been cornering very hard - as I'd rather not lose control - but so far have had no tyre rubbing. I also put on Maxxis Torch (40-406) tyres on the front - as I thought they might give better grip than the old Kojaks! Traction is a wonderful thing :)

I hope that you are all keeping well,
Regards,
Phil

@pn_day I hope this ist a work in progress picture, as it seems that the screw on the right hinge bushing is not properly tightened.

@spargelix Well spotted - I had taken the chain cover off to re-index the rear derailleur. This bolt is one of the mounting points for the chain cover - so I had been lazy and left it loose so I remembered which holes to use when putting the chain cover back on!

Thanks for checking - I do appreciate people with more experience spotting any possible errors.
Thanks
Phil

Ahhh, i understand. The cover moves with the hinge and is not just bolted on the body like on the hard tail model. It's been a while since I have been closer to a Waw: Spezi 2018...
So btt.

Zurück
Oben Unten