WAW - upgrading lights - advice please

Hi all,

As our roads have just become icy again, and I'm still waiting on a better rear tyre, I naturally started thinking about improvements to the velomobile!

I currently have the default B&M Cyo lights in my WAW from 2017 (I think they are probably the Cyo 80 lux, or maybe even 60 lux - see picture below). These are sufficient for riding in town or during the day, but I think I might need better lights for riding at night - particularly if I ever start commuting again.

I have a WAW with 2 small (~48mm) holes in the nose for low and high beam - see picture below.

I've seen a lot of discussion of lights, but am still unsure - I have 3 options that I am considering.
  1. Lupine SL-AF (or the even larger SL-AX).
    Pro: Good light, could use other hole for ventilation
    Con: €€€€, and needs the hole to be widened (and in the case of the SL-AX, making a very wide opening)
    If I used a light like this, could I leave the other hole empty, and then use this for ventilation (as a SPAI)? I think it might look rather strange - but wonder if any Milan riders have done this (riding with 1 eye closed!)?
  2. 2x B&M IQ-XE (the 150 lux variants)
    Pro: Reasonable light, same fitting, no widening holes
    Con: €€€€
  3. 2x Highsider Satellite - and have one as a low beam, and another as a high beam.
    Pro: €€
    Con: Need to modify fitting, and uses more battery.
    I know these consume slightly more power, but I'm OK with that (have a 6.6 Ah 11.1V battery, and a larger, secondary battery which is currently running my twin cameras (Innovv K2) and 12V fan for the hills). How have people installed these into a velomobile? What brackets have you used?
Or is there a better option? From the discussions that I've seen (via translations!) I think the Highsider Dual Stream is not as good when mounted low down, and 2x Satellites might give a better high beam coverage pattern.

Thanks for any advice or help,
Phil

IMG_20201227_143927.jpg IMG_20210104_153641.jpg

I have a WAW with 2 small (~48mm) holes in the nose for low and high beam - see picture below.

I've seen a lot of discussion of lights, but am still unsure - I have 3 options that I am considering.
  1. Lupine SL-AF (or the even larger SL-AX).
    Pro: Good light, could use other hole for ventilation
    Con: €€€€, and needs the hole to be widened (and in the case of the SL-AX, making a very wide opening)
    If I used a light like this, could I leave the other hole empty, and then use this for ventilation (as a SPAI)? I think it might look rather strange - but wonder if any Milan riders have done this (riding with 1 eye closed!)?
  2. 2x B&M IQ-XE (the 150 lux variants)
    Pro: Reasonable light, same fitting, no widening holes
    Con: €€€€
4. 2* B&M IQ-XL, 300lux :cool:
Pro: verrry Reasonable light,
Con: €€€€€ and the Cons of 1. and 2. together....:sick:

This is how i solved it on my DF XL:

IMG_20210119_140207.jpg

@Patrick cut a hole above the ventilation intake, 3d-printed a "trumpet-shaped-tube" with one layer of carbon fiber around it, glued it inside,
and in there sits my Bumm XQ, noticeably higher as it would per design.

The four light-dots next to the hole and on the sides are position lights as well as indicators.
Below the air intake there is a small led-bar i use as a headlight flasher to communicate with cars (actually works better then expected!).

All of this (plus a dashcam) is powered with one (of two) 4000mAh 3S Lipo

Would i like to have more light at night? Of course, its never enough!
Do i feel the need to change that soon? No, I am not riding often enough in the dark, that the wish of spending another couple of hundreds of € rises!

If you go my way and do not need the remaining holes for ventilation, you may want to close them and put reflectors on it?

Highsider Satellite [...] How have people installed these into a velomobile? What brackets have you used?
Since the original steel brackets are quite heavy I've 3d printed a custom one. In retrospective the shape I've used and the fact that it's 3d printed are not really optimal but it has been doing it's job for 3-4yrs now.

Zurück
Oben Unten