velomobil strut enhancement

M

mi7d1

This is a cross post more or less from BROL that I made. Sorry for the post in English. Spanish is the only other language I can speak or write in.

For the past couple of years I've had issues with the tires of my WAW making contact with the wheel well during high speed turns. Weight transfer was the problem. I use to run Primo Comets but in a raffle last year at the HPC I won a set of Schwalbe tires. I picked the Marathon Plus since I use the velomobile for commuting. The Marathon Plus tires were a little taller and I had even more tire contact issues.

Like some people, I started to research springs with a higher load rating. I didn't understand much of the lingo. Another forum user, RATWATER set me a PM offering to assist me with some enhancements I was working on. With his help and guidance, I began to grasp an understanding of spring specs. Several days into emailing back and forth I had a revelation. I had just installed the strut without the spring to measure the travel distance I needed. What I saw and then understood was that my problem was not in the spring load rating. I only had tire contact in turns. I realized that if I installed a higher rated spring the ride would be rougher. The problem was in the strut travel length. There was no bumper to prevent the tire from contacting the wheel well. When I emailed RATWATER what I was thinking the response I got was "...now we're both on the same page" He had patiently allowed me to learn so I could see the bigger issue. What I wanted was a bumper that stopped the wheel from contacting the wheel well and also soft enough to add a little bit of total spring weight rate.

I think I've found a material that will work. Yesterday at work, I noticed a mechanic had on his tool box a kneeling pad. It compresses well and is made of closed cell foam.

This morning I went to the store and purchased a kneeling pad for $5.00. I cut out four donuts that would cover the exposed end of the strut shaft and installed the strut. With me sitting over the wheel and pulling up on the rim I still had at least a half an inch of room between the tire and wheel well. Then I tried the same on the other wheel that didn't have the donut stack on it. With just me sitting over the wheel it had less than a quarter of an inch to spare.

2215.png

2216.png

2217.png

I added a large washer that sits on the strut tube to support the kneeling pad donuts. I need to get a plastic sleeve or something to go between the strut shaft and the washer to prevent wear on the strut shaft.

It has been since suggested by RATWATER to use a hard plastic such as Delrin or an aluminum washer to prevent wear on the strut shaft.

The only other velomobile I've seen a Go-One and didn't give the suspension much thought at the time. Knowing that the struts are common on many velomobiles it may be that this idea could help someone else.

AW: velomobil strut enhancement

Hello, i dont want to say your solution is not good, but by putting these rolls of plastic on the shaft, you only stop the suspention from going in too far. Wich solves your problem off course. Now, when you go over a bump, the stress is much more on the body. You can also open the suspention and put one of these plastic rolls untherneath the spring. Also make sure there is not to much grease inside. Clean everything inside with a cloth, leaving just a little bit of grease. Bij this solution you raise the body a little bit and your problem is also solved.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I see that you have a Quest listed as your velomobile. I haven't seen a Quest yet but hope to a couple of months.

There are two smaller washers at the top of the stack that can't be seen. One metal and one rubber. The same ones that were there originally. The WAW is a monocoque design and has no internal frame, therefore it is built strong. I weigh 90kg and can sit on the body with out any problems If I am not mistaken velomobil.nl has springs of different ratings avaliable. I'm failing to see how any additional stress would be different from using a higher load rated spring at the strut mounting point. I've had the struts apart several times. There is one 89mm blue spring inside. In fact I'm also doing what you have suggested. Inside the strut, I have added an additional 12mm plug to raise the body over the tires that much more.

Now, when you go over a bump, the stress is much more on the body.

I had the same problem, but not with my quest, but with my alleweder and could solve the problem as i suggested before. I also owned a waw and can relate to the problem.

Zurück
Oben Unten