Oval chainring question

A very simple question, is an oval chainring an advantage on a trike?

I spin quite fast, about 95 rpm and am wondering if 165 mm cranks and an oval compact double (absolute black 46-30) would give me a more fluid pedal stroke.

TIA for your opinions

Hi Saint Jean,

you need to define what type of oval chainring you're considering.
  • Some of them are designed to make the pulling force on the chain more balanced, reducing peak forces and limiting the effect of the dead center of the pedalstroke.
  • Others, like the old Shimano Biopace, try to maximise power and make the forces even more unbalanced compared to circular chainrings.
At the end of the day, the result of such a discussion will be a question of personal preference...

Best regards, Harald

you need to define what type of oval chainring you're considering.
  • Some of them are designed to make the pulling force on the chain more balanced, reducing peak forces and limiting the effect of the dead center of the pedalstroke.
  • Others, like the old Shimano Biopace, try to maximise power and make the forces even more unbalanced compared to circular chainrings.
At the end of the day, the result of such a discussion will be a question of personal preference...

I think the absolute black ones are the first type and that is the result I am after.

It would be best to test I think but on a trike that is not going to be easy...

Zurück
Oben Unten