Extrem Lowracer im Alltagsverkehr

Status
Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.
Zum Thema selbst wollte ich noch beitragen, dass für mich persönlich das Sehen und Gesehen-Werden bei tiefen Rädern kein so großes Problem darstellt, aber dass ich mit extrem eingeschränkten Lenkwinkeln durchaus Probleme habe. Das war für mich auch einer der Hauptgründe, meinen M5 Lowracer zu verkaufen.

Auf dem Land mag das alles noch angehen, aber im Großstadtverkehr kann es schon mal zu braunen Unterhosen kommen, wenn man z.B. bei Schrittempo scharf rechts abbiegen muss, während links neben einem ein Autofahrer dasselbe tut.

Das Toxy ZR ist in diesem Punkt hingegen vollkommen unproblematisch. Dort ist der Lenkwinkel zwar auch etwas eingeschränkt, aber viel weniger als beim M5 Low. Ein NoCom bin ich nie gefahren, aber ich schätze mal, dass es in punkto Lenkwinkel eher schlimmer als das M5 sein wird, daher wäre es nichts für mich.

By the way, it's really sad lowracers aren't made any more. Optima stopped, M5 Carbon lowracer is not available anymore, Cobrabikes, based in Belgium (I still have contact with Serge Moors, son of Albert Moors) stopped producing a long time ago. Not want to go off topic, but I can't believe a highracer is faster than a lowracer. I talked to people in the USA who owned a Nocom and they have their own opinion (they say the lowracer is faster). I feel it's all marketing these days, the highracer is probably better visible in traffic, yes. Don't get me wrong, I owned the M5 CHR and it was super comfortable and fast but not my cup of tea. Our Belgium and world champion, Stijn Van De Maele owns a M5 CHR but whatever he archived, so has Eric Baeten or Serge Moors on a Cobra/NME. When adding a tailfairing on a lowracer, it's in another league.thumbnail_DSC_8727_900.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
My favourite overall would be the Low Baron. Quick in a straight line and in the mountains a joy to ride. I read in discussions a recumbent in the mountains is not the way to go but I totally disagree. Uphill, on the straights and downhil nothing came close.
Interesting! Do you find that you have consistently been able to climb well on lowracers, or more so on the Low Baron than on the others?

Are there any of these lowracers which have been easier to maneuver than others?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
By the way, it's really sad lowracers aren't made any more. Optima stopped, M5 Carbon lowracer is not available anymore, Cobrabikes, based in Belgium (I still have contact with Serge Moors, son of Albert Moors) stopped producing a long time ago.

There are still some available, M5 CrMo Lowracer, Toxy ZR, Zox 20 and several models by Performer. But yeah, no carbon lowracers anymore. Sad indeed.

Not want to go off topic, but I can't believe a highracer is faster than a lowracer.

Somewhere in the depths of this forum, there is a >50 page thread about exactly this question, with predictably inconclusive results ;)

Interesting! Do you find that you have consistently been able to climb well on lowracers, or more so on the Low Baron than on the others?

Are there any of these lowracers which have been easier to maneuver than others?
Unfortunately I can't say much about it. Only used the Optima racer in the mountains, but Serge Moors and others participated in races in Austria and Switzerland and I believe all did well on a Cobra. Even German Bernhard Böhler (of which I bought the streamliner) did great in the mountains in his streamliner (Cobrabike inside). I checked a couple of articles in the past and M5 lowacers with tailfairing beat upright race cyclists in a time trial (in the mountains!). I have to say this Helmut Lechner guy looked like Iron Man so maybe those upright racing cyclists stayed behind him on purpose in the fear of getting a slap on the wrist. 1.6.jpg1.2.jpg

Great ! I am Spanish -living in Germany but I could not imagine riding in Spain with my Baron. Where is the different between Low Baron and a normal Baron. How can I make my bike faster without spending too much money ? Kind regards
I just copy pasted info from the internet: the bottom bracket from the X-low has been positioned more efficiently in relation to the seat and the chainline has been further optimised. By using special heat treatment processes, a 30% saving in frame weight has been achieved. About making your bike faster I can't say much but.. Finding a (very) good personal trainer @MartinL for instance helps a lot, I have lost a lot of belly fat the past months and I feel I'm getting better each month thanks to structured training. In contrast to what lazy "sportsman" I was in the past, I really feel confident the goals are becoming more realistic. My eating pattern has also improved. Instead of wondering all the time what we are going to eat next, I now know better where to focus on. Oh, and a tailfairing helps also a lot. I'm training without for the moment, but it's a nice feeling if things get serious, I can add it to the lowracer.

Nummer 63, das M5 taugt wirklich nur für Rennen oder die Rad-bahn; hat ja übelste Kurbelüberdeckung, das wär im Großstadtdschungel lebensgefährlich...
Und ich schreib nicht nur so daher, ich hab s mit M5 und Kurbelsachen usw. mir alles selbst erfahren : ) bei großen VR muss die
Kurbel einfach am Rad vorbei können...
Ich selber vermisse das tiefliegen gar nicht mehr, das freut mich, ebenso freu ich mich über die anderen hier, die sich so sehr an ihren Tiefliegern erfreuen...

mein Tipp um den Baron schneller zu machen: ein M5 Lowracer kaufen : ) hat bei mir geklappt, nix für ungut, der Baron ist auch n super Rad : )

There are still some available, M5 CrMo Lowracer, Toxy ZR, Zox 20 and several models by Performer. But yeah, no carbon lowracers anymore. Sad indeed.

Somewhere in the depths of this forum, there is a >50 page thread about exactly this question, with predictably inconclusive results ;)
Do you know where this thread is or what the name was? I tried to search but stopped after 20 pages :)

Do you know where this thread is or what the name was? I tried to search but stopped after 20 pages
Might not have been 50 pages but this could be it:

Ich würde jetzt noch nicht davon ausgehen, dass der Comet damit Geschichte ist. Ich könnte mir gut vorstellen, dass die erforderlichen Änderungen (was mag das wohl sein?) irgendwann gemacht werden, wenn die sonstige Auftragslage bei Birkenstock sich mal etwas beruhigt.

der Kreis derer, die deswegen in Tränen ausbrechen wird immerhin klein sein und außerhalb unserer Blase überhaupt nicht wahrgenommen werden...

Ich würde jetzt noch nicht davon ausgehen, dass der Comet damit Geschichte ist. Ich könnte mir gut vorstellen, dass die erforderlichen Änderungen (was mag das wohl sein?) irgendwann gemacht werden, wenn die sonstige Auftragslage bei Birkenstock sich mal etwas beruhigt.
Die letzte grosse Überarbeitung (vom Comet zum Comet RT) erfolgte vor rund 15 Jahren, dann kam vor rund 7 Jahren noch mit der Einarmgabel eine grosse Neuigkeit dazu und es gab kontinuierlich kleine Anpassungen (z.B. Umrüstung auf Scheibenbremse auch hinten, E-Comet, elektronische Schaltung usw).

Die Zeit steht aber nicht still und eine erneute Überarbeitung angebracht (auch um weiterhin die hohen Ansprüche welche Jürg selber an seine Velos stellt erfüllen zu können).

Diese Überarbeitung ist aufwändig und die Auslastung mit anderen Aufträgen hoch. (Neue Aufträge für) Comet und Peregrin stehen weit hinten an. Es ist ungewiss wann (ja, auch ob*, da bin ich aber optimistisch) der neue Comet realisiert wird und ich finde es gut, dass dies potentiellen Kunden so kommuniziert wird.

Besser als Liefertermine zu versprechen welche dann nicht eingehalten werden können und zu dies dann zu Entäuschungen führt.

Status
Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.
Zurück
Oben Unten