Elastomer struts?

I am curious where I could find some elastomer material to experiment with?
I assume the disc material that I see in pictures are from some industrial purpose?
Thanks for any help understanding the construction of these struts.
TD4EEB9AF-2C61-4F95-A0C0-2DA8B2C82F11.jpeg

These apear to be the Alpha/Daniel Fenn struts. They move in a bearing that is mounted in the top of the well, the steel piston travels thrue that bearing, and the piston top inside the velomobile shell, then extends longer. There is a thinner xsection part inside the elastomeres and a wider part at the bottom underneath the elastomere elements. The thin and wide bit do not move in relation to eachother, its 1 part.

I"m not sure about the red/orange material. The Black is probably an Elastomere damper. It is used often in industrial use, as a vibration damper. Eleastomere has different hardness rates, very common are 70,80,90 shore. 70 is like hard rubber but u can squish it a bit, 90 feels like plastic. I cannot compress it by hand, but can see it move if i lean on it with bodyweight on a toolhandle.

The red orange stuff is likely cellasto, also made from roughly the same stuff, but then with lots of air in it, bit like a foam campingmat. There fore it has a different behavior.

The cellasto material is also in use in cars as bumpstop material.

@roland65 sells elastomeres that fit inside the normal Velomobiel.nl struts.

Birdy folding bikes and Ice Trikes use elastomere parts for the suspension, both look very similar in dimensions.
The Cane Creek thudbuster also uses cylinder like Elastomeres, that are sold seperatly.

Greetings, Jeroen

Build this Type of struts 10 years ago..
Works much better then the "Classic" struts. They are lighter and have a longer lifespan.

Fehlt noch eine Serie als Ersatz für die vm.nl-Dämpfer oder die Fremdhersteller, die diese dort beziehen (müssen?).

Thanks, so basically this is what the strut looks like.E4138382-386E-4F7C-B7AD-7B385294DEE7.jpeg
My guess is that elastomers do not travel as far as springs but do the job well!

They travel lighter, with more progression and damping.

If you want to build this you need the rod inside the elastomeres and the bearing from igus.

Your drawing is correct. The bearing sits in the shell and the rod rotates and slides in the bearing. Because of the steering geometry, the bottom of the strut moves while u steer, and follows a J shaped track. As a result of that, there are slight changes in angles of the strut to the bearing. A "Gelenklager" does allow for those angular changes, cause the yellow part of the bearing has a rounded shape. Check the drawings on the site.

I am curious where I could find some elastomer material to experiment with?
In case that you took the picture form this SOURCE all information is given ...
EFFBE Elastomer DIN 9835 Typ 295 AD 32 mm except the inner diameter, which I too currently do not remember. (I believe 13,5mm)
Order some of different length (or cut them yourself) and see what fits you.

Zurück
Oben Unten