Drape forming canopies

Do any self-builders or small factories wonder about making their own canopies. Most ideas I got from aircraft people, but the technical solutions are the same. I'm focused on drape forming, because it's commonly the easiest way to get an accurate result. But the technical manual covers other methods.

I'll add some useful references here...

Plexiglass Forming Manual

Canopy Production (Piper Sport Cruiser)

We have a small composites Co in NZ that can drape form canopies, It used to be about NZD500/pull (300Euro) if you supplied the form. But for a new customer (form) they couldn't guarantee 100% success. Anyway, my price may be out of date, but this gives some idea. One can buy a 2.4x1.2m sheet of 2.5mm acrylic here for NZD103

For a self builder to do the preparation on their own is a bit of a chore, but a small group might make it easier. The draping needs several hands.

In the manual they describe forms made of plaster. The mold in the aircraft factory is, not surprisingly, composite.

You need to build a warming oven. The sheet is normally hung vertically in there. you can do it with the sheet laid flat, but the warming time will be longer. With a 3mm sheet the manual says the working time is about 30 seconds to complete the drape at 20deg room temperature, after oven exit. The aircraft factory quotes a shorter time.

Maybe with unfamiliarity with the manual draping part, a flat oven will save time. Otherwise some seconds will be lost shifting and re-orienting the sheet.

Lots of information on the ovens in the manual, adaptable to DIY. And info on the critical temperatures, warming times, working times, all related to the material thickness. At least this is a very good starting point. I think there is info on polycarbonate also.

I've never seen so much useful, easy to read info in one document.
I'm starting to believe in Santa Clause again.

Gregg,,,.

Ein Kollege hat mal für LARP Rüstungsteile eine Tiefziehanlage gebaut.
Zum Erwärmen meine ich waren das flächig angebrachte Heizstrahler (Elektrisch?).
Da wurde das Material aber in einen rechteckigen Rahmen gespannt, über der Form erhitzt und dann zügig nach unten auf die Form mit dem Vakuum-Bett gezogen.

Ehe man die Sauna abfackelt, bekommt man da sicher was mit Brettern, Isolation und ein paar Heizelementen hin.
Muss ja auch gerade und flächig liegen, damit es nicht schon beim Erhitzen verformt.
Vielleicht auch eine Batterie Heißluftgebläse und entsprechende Leitbleche zur Verteilung?

Wichtig ist sicher, dass es gleichmäßig und ohne Hotspots erhitzt wird, damit die Oberfläche nicht beschädigt wird.

Ich bin Endkunde, kein Produzent.
Mit DF fuhr ich auch nur im Winter mit Haube. Die vom M9 wartet auch noch auch ihren Einsatz. Ich stelle mir, aufgrund der Transparenz und damit besserer Sicht, vor, dass ich öfter mit Haube führe.
Aber gerade im Winter, bei Regen, Kälte, Nebel etc. wären die Probleme ja auch immer noch die gleichen. Die Visiere müssten weiterhin separat hergestellt und eingebaut werden damit sie geöffnet werden können. Auch bräuchte es weiterhin Pinlocks oder ähnliches an den Sichtflächen.
Und spätestens wenn die integrierten Seitenfenster beschädigt oder verkratzt sind müssen sie herausgeschnitten und klassisch ersetzt werden.
Am Ende wäre es dann lediglich ein anderes Material für den Bereich, der nicht als Sichtfläche ausgebildet ist. Und eine andere Herstellungsmethode. Ob die geänderte Herstellungsmethode sich positiv auf den Herstellungsaufwand und damit die Preise auswirkt kann ich nicht abschließend beurteilen. Vermutlich schon. Welche Materialstärken wiederum nötig sind, wie sich die Klapper-/Dröhnproblematik verändert und wie es um die UV-Beständigkeit steht weiß ich nicht. Es käme vielleicht auf einen Versuch an.

Der Aspekt des Besserbestauntwerdenkönnens sollte diskutiert werden, ebenso die Kopfsommersaunawirksamkeit :p
Gruß Krischan

As @flachlaender mentions this would be another way to produce the carbon part of a standard hood. You probably also want to mostly paint it because otherwise gets too hot under the glass
To make it as strong as carbon, I estimate you need much thicker plexiglass and thus the whole hood would be correspondingly heavier. Unless you want to drop the safety aspect of the hood (I'd rather keep that)

Zurück
Oben Unten