Aus dem Leben eines EVO-R

Heute gings richtig flott vorwärts. 130 km mit einem Schnitt von 24 kmh. Und das trotz der kurzen Fahrradweg-Einlage. Ich habs ja schon immer gesagt, Fahrradwege sind für Fahrräder gemacht und nicht für Velomobile. Sonst hiessen sie ja Velomobilwege. Ich kann mich mit Baumwurzeln, auch wenn sie mit einer dünnen Lage Bitumen kaschiert sind, einfach nicht so richtig anfreunden.

Biscarosse, 20.8.17

Une voiture un peu comme Tintin

When I stepped out on the terasse this morning I thought I was dreaming. The water in the lake at my feet was steaming and the small island in the middle of the lake dissapeared and reappeared. The sun had just reached the top of the trees and gave the whole scene a misterious glow.

20170820_075639.jpg
Echasse in morning light

The land between Bayonne and Bordeaux is completely flat, so I could make good progress. With the hard top on I could reach speeds of 40 to 45 kmh. But I preferred the cabriolet feeling and had the hard top removed for most of the time. This way I was certainly a bit slower but I was still too fast, as I found out today. A car that just had passed me, stopped about one kilometer ahead of me. The driver jumped out of his car, opened the trunk and tore out his fotographic equipment. But at the time he was ready for the shot of his lifetime I had already passed him. So he had to repat the same procedure again but giving himself a longer time lapse. And this time it worked fine.

In the afternoon I tried a few bicycle routes but this was not very successful. They are often a bit bumpy. Furthermore with a velomobile you feel a bit out of place. "Real" cyclists think I should use the road as any decent car does. But on tbe road the motorists think, I am holding them up and I should use the bicycle lane. You can't get it right with a velomobile.

By the way, the nicest description for my velomobile came from the lady at the tourist information desk in Capbreton. On the phone she explained the receptionist at the other end of the line: "Je vous envoye un monsieur avec une voiture un peu comme Tintin." Tonight Tintin will sleep in Biscarosse with tbe waves of the Atlantic Ocean as background music.

20170820_195934.jpg
The beach of Biscarosse

Dynamik scheint alle Zeit der Welt zu haben. Mit Tagesetappen von 120 km muss man sich ja nicht gerade überanstrengen. Und dabei hat es gar keine Berge mehr, die man als Ausrede brauchen könnte. Alles an und in mir läuft perfekt. Nur der Schlumpf knurrt ab und zu. Aber wenn man dem einen kuzen Kick gibt, läuft er wieder absolut geräuschfrei. Weiss nicht ob das von Herrn Schlumpf auch tatsächlich so vorgesehen war.

Angoulème, 22.8.17

Getting lost, almost

The day started quite nicely in Biscarosse. I followed the coast in order to see the largest dunes in Europe, the dunes of Pyla. They were quite impressive but not suitable for my EVO-R. My original plan was to follow the coast up to Royan and then turn eastward to Angoulème. This would have been a nice ride along the coast and would have included two ferries. But already on the first ferry they refused my velomobile. They said it's too big. How unfair.

20170821_104805.jpg
The sand dunes of Pyla

Well, I changed my plan and rode to Bordeaux and as it was only 4 o'clock, I carried on in the general direction of Angoulème. That was easier said than done. The motorway A10 was nat a viable solution. I tried it but the honking of the cars got on my nerves. So I left the A10 and started zigzaging through the country side. It would have been a wonderful ride, if the sun wouldnt have been approaching the western horizon so fast.

20170821_162956.jpg
Bordeaux

How stupid I was to leave Bordeaux. Certainly I would have found a hotel and I would be sitting now happily in front of a glas Bordeaux wine. Instead I was following small country roads where there was not the faintest hope of getting an accomodation. It really looked as if I had to sleep "à la belle étoile". After about two hours I had reached a small village with the name Cavicnac. All the villages here have the ending "nac" like Bellac, Vibrac or Cognac, which is also in this area. There was a noble looking house with a small sign, I couldn't read. Well, lets stop and see what it says. And really it was a sign that promissed "chambres d'hôtes". With not too much hope I asked, wether they had a room. The answer was "no", as I had expected. It was already beyond 8 o'clock. The landlady called a few other guest houses but all were full.

Just as I was ready to leave, the landlady came back and explained that one guest won't show up and that she could give me the best room. I should put my stuff upstairs and join them for a drink. They invited me also for the evening meal and we had the most interesting evening. At midnight we decided that it is time to sleep.

20170822_101310.jpg
Chambres d'hôtes in Cavignac

The next day I didn't start too early but I made it to Angoulème, a town with a very nice medieval town center.

So langsam kommt Dynamik doch noch in die Gänge. Heute und gestern zusammengenommen haben wir tatsächlich 400 km abgespult mit einer mittleren Geschwindigkeit von 24 kmh.

Nevers, 24.8.17

Talking to a horse

Yesterday I set off in Angoulème and followed small country roads in the general direction of the "Parc Naturel Régional de la Brenne". The weather was fine and the scenery very idyllic. In a narrow lane an unusual problem: Two horses with their respective riders came from the other side. I knew that horses have some difficulties with recumbent bicycles and even more with a velomobile, so I stopped. I didn't want to see the horses running off in panic. The riders dismounted and one horse passed by. But the second horse was absolutely unwilling to go close to this dangerous yellow thing. What can be done? As I didn't want to wait any longer, I started to talk to the horse and explained him what this funny looking thing was. To my own surprise the horse came slowly nearer, looked into my little car and then passed by. One has to talk to each other and things go much smoother.

I reached the "Parc Naturel Régional de la Brenne" towards evening. It is a wonderful area. In the middle of the parc there is a town called "Le Blanc". The only disadvantage of it was, that it had absolutely no hotels. This time I didn't carry on with my threewheeler but got myself a beer and did let the barkeeper search for an accomodation. That was quite effective. He found me a room in an old "manoir" in Chalais, about 25 km away in the middle of the forest. Towards 9 o'clock, after 200 km in the legs, I got my room in an old tower and also an excelent evening meal.

20170824_084335.jpg
Sufficient parking space in the manoir

20170824_082152.jpg
The pigeon tower of the old manoir

20170824_081207.jpg
My room in the pigeon tower

The next morning I drove out of the forest and from then on the landscape was rather flat and dull. I took the road to Bourges and eventually to Nevers, a medieval town towering over the Loire river. 40 years ago I have been here together with a school friend on a Loire expedition with a kayak. As I remember, rowing on the Loire was a bit more demanding than riding a velomobil.

A

Die Berge machen sich wieder bemerkbar. 100 km mit einem Schnitt von 16 kmh ist ja nicht überragend. Gemeinerweise war eine schöne Abfahrt gar nicht geteert, nur looser Splitt. Ob das den Reifen wohl gut tut. Die sind ja dünner als Handschuhleder. Vielleicht sollte Dynamik für die nächste Tour quer durch Europa doch etwas währschafteres aufziehen. Den Tagesschnitt wird es wohl nicht stark drücken.

Autun, 25.8.17

Lunch where Mitterand used to eat

Starting in Nevers this morning was quite wet but it didn't take long and the sun dried all the clouds. I was heading towards "Parc National du Morvan". High up on a mountain top I saw a castle. No, the road won't go there. But it did. I was quit exhausted when I had reached the village Château Chinon in the middle of the Parc National at an elevation of some 600 m.

An elderly man who had been an aerodynamics engineer wanted to know everything about my velomobile. This man might be helpful for my crosswind problem, I thought. But all he could advise me was to cut my hair very short to make my racing machine run faster. How helpful. At least he knew where to get the best meal in the town. It's the "Au Vieux Morvan", where Mitterand used to dine. And it was really excellent the lunch I had.

20170825_142213.jpg
Lunch in Château Chinon

The road kept climping and reached an elevation of 674 m. But then I was rewarded by a wonderful downhill run almost until Autun. I had plenty of time to study the crosswind problem. It has nothing to do with my hair. It's just the law of Bernoulli that says, that with an airfoil the uplift forces increase with the second power of the wind velocity. And uplift means in my specific case side forces due to changing wind direction. Maybe I should install flaps in order to disturbe the laminar flow.

20170825_194845.jpg
Historic center of Autun

Autun is a charming medieval town with a unspoilt historic center. A huge cathedral, lots of stone buildings and everywhere cobblestone. I found a very nice place to sleep at the Ursulines. It had been a monastery but now it has been converted into a hotel. Probably this new line of business is more promising.

20170825_200411.jpg
At the Ursulines in Autun

Frisch gepumpt starten wir so ca. um 10 Uhr. Dynamik muss das jeden Morgen machen, seit wir modern sind und tubeless fahren. D.h. am Anfang der Reise genügte Pumpen alle vier Tage. Jetzt nach knapp 4000 km genügt das offensichtlich nicht mehr. Vor einer Woche hat er sogar noch eine Werkstattpumpe gekauft, weil das Pumpen mit der Notfallpumpe nicht so lustig ist.

Champagnole, 26.8.17

Little Horse is winning

Breakfast at the Ursulines was a dream. Evererything was perfect. Service, athmosphere, view. What else do you want. But already the first few kilometers on the road took me back to reality. A steep uphill for more than an hour. But the landscape was great and towards midday I had reached Châlon sur Saône. The historic center is very nice, the faubourgs a bit boring and way too large.

20170826_135141.jpg
In the historic center of Châlon sur Saone

The next 60 km were a dream for a velomobile. It was really flat. Not the slightest sign of a hill untill Lans-le-Saunier. On these stretches you know why you are riding a velomobile and not a classic bicycle. In Lans the speedometer showed already 120 km and it was only 4.30. So I decided to push it a little bit further to reach Champagnole.

But now I had to climb the first range of the Jura mountains. Signs promising "scenic views" and "waterfalls" are a good indication that it is going to be tough. Once an emergency stop for water was needed. That is, all water was used up and I had to hunt for a fountain with drinking water. But I made it to Champagnole where they had "Route barrée" for the town center. That certainly doesn't count for velomobiles. I squeezed through and ended at a improvised racing circuit with the most beautiful racing cars. At the moment "Little Horse" was in the lead. Too bad that I wasn't alowed to partake. The cars must all be made by its owner.

20170826_200932.jpg
"Little Horse" in the lead

The race has been organized by the FFCVP (Fédération Française des Clubs de Voiture à Pédales). Inspite of the name this has nothing to do with velomobiles. Actually the spokesman didn't even know what a velomobile is.

Wir haben es geschafft. 4000 km ohne irgendwelche Zwischenfälle. Zweimal ist mir die Luft ausgegangen. Aber ich glaube Dynamik ist das viel öfters passiert. Am Berg oder so. Ein paar Kleinigkeiten müsse man bei mir noch modifizieren, meint er. Aber das wird er dann selber beschreiben.

Montalchez, 27.8.17

Homeward bound

From Champagnole to Montalchez it's only 90 km, according to Google Maps. That shoudn't be too difficult, I thought. The landscape was gorgeous but steep. The Jura mountains are not really velomobile friendly. At midday I finally reached Pontarlier. I have been here with my Scorpion trike some 7 years ago. The old town center made then a somewhat deserted impression. It still does today.

20170827_105131.jpg
Between Champagnole and Pontarlier

I passed the château de Joux and then the big climb began. To Fourgs and later on to the Col de l'Etoile with an altitude of 1153 m. From there on it was a very pleasant ride with a marvellous view over the lake of Neuchâtel and the Orbe plain. This area is also known as the "Balcon du Jura". On clear days you can see all the famous peaks of the alps, starting with the Eiger in the East to the Mont Blanc in the West.

20170827_134524.jpg
Château de Joux

Just before 6 o'clock, after 15 days of pedalling from Gallicia back to Switzerland, I reached our cottage in Montalchez. It was a wonderful journey. Doing this journey with a velomobile gives you a new feeling for distances. It gives you also the possibility to really see the country you are driving through and to meet so many interesting poeple. When I set off to this journey of 4000 km on a velomobile, I was not quite convinced, that it can be done. But it can be done. Just keep the wheels rolling.

20170827_195348.jpg
Back home after 4000 km

Rückblick auf 4000 km mit dem EVO-R

4000 km sind eine grosse Distanz. Ob das ohne Zwischenfälle abgeht. Das war die grosse Frage am Anfang der Reise. Ich hatte so meine Zweifel. Deshalb hatte ich eine Abmachung mit meiner lieben Gattin (in der Schweiz) und mit meiner ältesten Tochter (in Gallizien): Solange ich in Frankreich bin, werde ich von meiner Gattin gerettet, auf spanischem Boden wird meine Tochter die Rettungskolonne losschicken. Beide fahren einen Wagen, in dem das EVO Platz hat. Mit dieser Zusicherung konnte ich recht unbeschwert losfahren.

Zweimal zwei Wochen Velomobil-Ferien sind eine tolle Sache. 1000 km pro Woche sind locker zu schaffen. Man hat keinen Stress und genügend Zeit, die Reise so richtig zu geniessen. Ich würde für eine Ferienreise keine ehrgeizigeren Ziele setzen.

Das EVO-R hat sich bestens bewährt. Nicht der geringste Zwischenfall ist aufgetreten. Man sitzt bequem, auch noch nach 14 Tagen. Stauraum ist etwas knapp, aber so nimmt man nicht zuviel mit. An sich reicht ja Creditkarte und Zahnbürste.

Die neuen Vorderräder mit Kühltürmchen sind super. Die Naben werden viel weniger schnell heiss. Auch die vielgeschmähte Hinterradbremse hat bestens funktioniert. So kann man doch beim Bergabfahren die Bremswärme auf drei Räder verteilen. Dazu hat man ein redundantes Bremssystem.

20170515_083614.jpg

Was werde ich das nächste mal anders machen? Ich werde das Hardtop zu Hause lassen. Offen fährt sich's viel besser. Ich werde mir einen Notfall-Regenabdeckung basteln. Tubeless-Reifen scheinen mir nicht unbedingt ideal zu sein für Ferienreisen. Sie funktionierten zwar perfekt, aber das Nachpumpen geht doch etwas auf die Nerven. Und dann noch die Verschmutzung des Radkastens, wenn mal Dichtmilch austritt. Zwei Stunden lang habe ich mich mit Aceton und Putzlappen abgemüht.

Der Schlumpf MD hat sich an sich bestens bewährt, doch die im Direktgang auftretenden Reibgeräusche strapazieren die Nerven. Wenn man ein paarmal hin- und herschaltet verschwinden die Reibgeräusche aber beim nächsten mal Schlumpfen und wieder zurück in den Direktgang sind sie wieder da. Beim Scorpion Trike habe ich auch einen Schlumpf eingebaut und der läuft absolut geräuschlos.

Das einzige ernsthafte Problem war die Querwind-Anfälligkeit des EVO-R. Da strampelt man im Schweisse seines Angesichtes den Berg hoch und dann muss man beim Bergabfahren bremsen, damit man ja nicht schneller wird als 50 kmh. Denn über 50 kmh beginnt Russisch Roulette. Dieses Problem muss ich vor der nächsten Reise noch lösen.

Und da sind wir ja auch schon beim nächsten Problem: Wohin geht die nächste Reise? Das wissen nur die Götter, aber die verraten es nicht.

Labella-Baron

Du hast Recht, den Einfluss auf die Lenkung kann man mit dem Nachlauf beeinflussen. Als erstes habe ich aber den Tip von Roland65 realisiert, das mit dem 0.8 mm - Faden über die Glaskanzel. Das müsste - wenn es funktioniert - die Querkraft an sich reduzieren. Werde das demnächst austesten. Dann wird der Tip von Elmi ausprobiert, das mit dem Zackenband bei den Radkästen. Vielleicht mach ich auch klappbare Spoiler. Dann könnte man noch eine Schnauzenverlängerung einführen, sozusagen ein Strömungsteiler. Wenn dann alles zusammen ein sicheres Fahren bei 60 kmh ermöglicht, bin ich absolut zufrieden.

Tolle Tour, die Du da gemacht hast.

Probieren kannst Du viel, Du solltest nur eins nach dem anderen machen, sonst kannst Du nicht einschätzen, was was bewirkt. Zackenband vor den Rädern z.B. wirkt primär auf den Einstrom an den Radhäusern - brachte bei mir nicht viel und nichts spürbares. Ich hatte da auf eine leichte Verbesserung der Geschwindigkeit gehofft. Zu vergleichenden Rolltests ist es bisher aber nicht gekommen.
Wim Schermer empfiehlt für Quest und Konsorten den Stormstrip
Sind aber nicht wirklich hübsch.
Hatte ich Dir bereits ähnlich geschrieben - der Nylonfaden könnte aber schon genügen und trägt nicht so auf auf der Scheibe. Die Höhe musst Du testen und das Blickfeld kannst Du erst mal frei halten.

Wenn Du vorne zu klar die Luft teilst, kann das sehr unangenehm werden, weil die Luft nicht mehr den geringsten Widerstand strömen kann und Du mehr Unterdruck auf einer Seite bekommst. Ich hatte das, es führte zu deutlich wahrnehmbaren Störungen und drum habe ich es auch wieder abgebaut. Auch "Buckelwal" hatte ich schon mit Noppen - im Endeffekt nicht stark genug wirksam. Was im Wasser funktioniert, muss nicht zwingend an der Luft genauso seit.

über 50 kmh beginnt Russisch Roulette
Nicht über 50 km/h klingt für mich aber erst mal nach "Suche bei Lenkung und Spur" - die Einstellung ist vllt zu nervös (Vorspur, Nachlauf). Aerodynamische Probleme durch die Karosserie beginnen nach meiner Erfahrung erst ab 60-65 km/h richtig "zuzuschlagen".
Bzgl. seitliche Störung spüre ich einen deutlichen Unterschied zwischen "Seitenwind" und"überholendem Fahrzeug". Letzteres schiebt erst mal nur hinten und das Moment ist ein anderes - ich finde unangenehmer, weil es Richtung Überholenden drückt. Das bin ich gerade mit weiteren Verbesserungen am Testen. Seitenwind ist aktuell kaum noch ein Problem. Grundsätzlich finde ich im Moment aber beide Störungen rel. gut beherrschbar.
Allerdings fühlen sich seitliche Störungen ganz anders als z.B. die Unruhe durch eine Kármánsche Wirbelstraße - die Unruhe des Fahrers kommt hierbei erschwerend dazu. :rolleyes: Die entsteht nach meiner Beobachtung eher bei rel. hoher Geschwindigkeit (ab 60-65), weil die Strömung hinten nicht mehr stabil genug anliegt. Drum fahre ich aktuell immer noch mit Sand drauf. Das Problem dürftest Du aber mit "nur" 50 noch gar nicht kennen. :whistle:

Viele Grüße,
Roland

vielen Dank für Deine tollen Reiseberichte! Ich bin 'nur Pendler'. Es war ganz spannend mitzulesen, und falls ich mal auf Tour ginge.. mein VM ist offen, hat kein flaches Heck, Bremsen sind glaub hitzeresistent (Scheiben), und über 50 hab' ich noch nie geschafft. Leistung und Gefälle sind auf meiner täglichen Strecke zu schwach.

I drive a DF Xl and noticed that with the "trousers" installed (caps over the wheels) the behavior with side wind and wind gusts is much improved. I believe the trousers also fit the Evo-R.

Das einzige ernsthafte Problem war die Querwind-Anfälligkeit des EVO-R. Da strampelt man im Schweisse seines Angesichtes den Berg hoch und dann muss man beim Bergabfahren bremsen, damit man ja nicht schneller wird als 50 kmh. Denn über 50 kmh beginnt Russisch Roulette. Dieses Problem muss ich vor der nächsten Reise noch lösen.

Man muss da 2 Probleme trennen:
Zur Nervosität bei hohen Geschwindigkeiten wurde schon viel gesagt.
das ist abhängig von der Federbeineinstellung und evtl Zuladung bei jedem anders.

Aber speziell das R hat noch ein ganz anderes Problem:
Der Wind (oder auch eine Hand beim Schieben) drückt oben seitlich an's Heck.
Das wirkt auf die Lenkplatte an der Vorderradnabe.
Das R lenkt wie von allein.

Lösung:
Die mittlere Bohrung an der Platte muss samt dem Kugelkopf um ein paar mm nach hinten (Richtung Heck) .
So 7 mm genügen, sonst ist die Schraube vom Federbein im Weg. 7,7 mm sind optimal.

Jetzt kann man über's Heck nicht mehr lenken, auch der Wind nicht.

siehe auch den Beitrag vom @labella-baron

Ich hab dieses Problem jetzt nicht mehr, Labella Baron sei Dank !

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
So jetzt hab ich das mit dem "Storm Strip" ausprobiert. Für 18 Franken zwei Perlon-Fäden mit 1 mm Durchmesser mit zugehöriger Spannvorrichtung erstanden. Normalerweise werden die verwendet, um einen Rembrandt oder so aufzuhängen. Besitze ich aber nicht. Diese Fäden mit Spannvorrichtung habe ich vorne über die Glaskuppel und hinten über das Heck gespannt.

Heute habe ich dann eine Testfahrt rund um den Neuenburgersee gemacht. Das waren ca. 120 km. Es grenzt an Magie. Jetzt fährt das EVO-R problemlos 60 bis 65 km (bergab natürlich) ohne dass man etwas von Seitenwind merkt. Ueberholende LKW's sind nun kein Problem mehr. Das Fahren ist nun viel entspannter und ein richtiger Genuss, auch über 50 kmh.

Frag mich nur, warum man diese Fäden nicht schon in die Originalausrüstung reinpackt.

Zurück
Oben Unten