Agilo velomobile

The rain stopped! So quickly outside for a sanding session and here is the chassis ready for skin.

chassis-complete.JPG

In my lovely outside workshop :giggle:

Of course when I say "chassis" it is just shorthand for the assembly of parts that will receive the sides and roof - Agilo is of course a monocoque with the skin playing a structural role.

I am pre-bending the skin panels:

curves-forming.JPG

The bend is quite easy, it just requires a lot of strength. Once you understand where the wood wants to go you can explain where you need it to go with some gentle persuasion techniques.

holding-flat.JPG

My biggest problem at this stage was getting the wood wet enough, the panels are too big to go in my shower... :(

Hat der "Erfinder" (Bodo Sitko?) das eigentlich jemals selbst aufgebaut und zu einem fahrfertigen PT gebracht?

There are two prototypes:

- the one from the 2017 Spezi, he still drives it from time to time he told me
- the current one you see photos of on his web site, but I don't know what state it is in today

He told me he changed the position of the front pilar which holds the boom because it wasn't practical in daily use, otherwise the inner structure remains much the same. The new body shape is simpler and easier to build. I like the entry of the 2017 one better.

So yes there is (at least) one drive-able Agilo. I chose to build it because I saw that Spezi version in photos "on the road". The hardware comes from other vélomobiles so has been tried and tested for years.

Remember to build the trunk a little bigger, to Germersheim it's ~ 1300km and woe betide you don't come to the Spezi ....
;)

That was my goal but if I am only on the road in March there won't be enough time - I want to have done at least 1000 km road testing before setting out on such a long adventure. I am still looking for a solution to get the parts I need from velomobiel.nl so that I can finish building quicker...

There is enough room for everything, it is huge inside.

Tomorrow igus deliver the bearings for the rear swing arm. Once they are mounted I will be able to glue on the body panels so there should be more pretty pictures here soon.

The sides are "on", tack glued in place. Side one was easy, side two not so easy. I think more towels and hot water will convince it to take up position...

side-1-on.JPG

Yes the wood has lots of horrible ripples. No I will not be using filler to remove them, it is wood not plastic, I can live with ripples.

What do you do when you don't have a jigsaw and you need one in a hurry? You make one! This is a piece of pure kiwi engineering!
:p
jigsaw.JPG

If I remember correctly (IIRC) I promised a finished Agilo body for the end of October. Well unforeseen circumstances, procrastination and the weather (!) have prevented that from happening, but it is very close. There are 6 pieces of wood left to be glued on to have a body with roof. And another 3 pieces of wood plus lots of little strips to glue on before and after the door is cut.

Procrastination:

- fixing the motor controller to the boom, but where?
- building a box in the the nose to house the light, a horn and the bell, with an air intake with flow directed over the controller
- which side do I mount the holder for the rear damper lockout button
- size, shape and number of foot holes to cut

I am locked up at home for 4 more weeks, I have all the epoxy and wood and whatever I need to continue working. No more excuses!

front-three-quarters.JPG

rear-with-hood.JPG

The wide angle lens and the close distance photos make the body look chubby. Agilo is a short velomobile but it is much sleeker looking in real life. I have removed the body from the building plate earlier than in the normal building sequence with the authorisation of the designer. This is specific to my Agilo build.

Do you need to cut foot holes at this stage, anyway. Or do you need them at all?
If they are not needed for clearance of the heels you could try riding without them first.

Zurück
Oben Unten