Agilo velomobile

Building an Agilo for travel and bike packing holidays.

This is more for builders past and future, little things to make your life on the road more comfortable.

1. The seat

You are going to be spending some time here so get it right for your particular body shape. I need vertebrae relief, I talked to Ventisit and asked Bodo what I can do to make mine better.

Get a Ventisit mat with the light fabric cover, you will be more comfortable. I asked if I could remove material from the double layer mat I have to make a groove for vertebrae relief. The answer was a prudent "yes" or more a "yes, but". you will have to do some stitching to keep the mat in the correct shape. On the road I had to remove a cable tie which had created a huge bruise in the middle of my back. Replace the cable ties with nylon fishing line is my best suggestion. That helped me but was not enough, a slot will have to be sawed out from the middle of the seat, I will illustrate that with photos when I do the job.

2. Luggage compartments

My front luggage compartments are OK. Sort of, because they are not French speed bump proof. They work fine for speed bumps that are built to the norm set by the transport authority but as you can guess they are not the majority.

So you need a luggage compartment which is high enough and which is not too high to get to things in the bottom. I use bags so that small objects like inner tubes cannot fall to the bottom to never be seen again. There needs to be a hole at the front so that you can click out. See pedals and cranks below.

I have a custom large hole in the top of the seat and the top luggage compartment can only be accessed from inside*. I only put lighter things like jackets, cover etc up there but, once again the speed bumps, they have a tendency to want to join me in the cabin. I will add a net to stop that happening in the future.

The bottom luggage compartments also have a larger non standard opening (kind of like the one on the new ventec plan ;) . I used the covers on this trip so that people could not see what was inside. While driving I designed a new cover which also acts as an elbow rest. With the arms back that far one could even install tank steering... I bought a couple of 15 litre bags from Decathlon (in the fitness section). They are water resistant and just the right size for my luggage compartments, I will get 2 more before the next trip. I also got a 30 litre model but it is a little too big to be useful, a bit of a pain stuffing it in there even though it was mostly clothes for the washing machine.

3. GPS and other instruments

My clever idea of putting the Bafang LCD out of the way on the floor worked quite well. Until one day, tired, I stood on it when getting out. Drill 22 mm holes in M1 and epoxy glue 2 lengths of 22 mm CF tube there. The top one for the Sigma or other. I have my high beam switch there as well - it is in direct vision so you know if the light is on high or not. The lower one can hold the Bafang LCD.

I love my indicator switches (too heavy) with flashing LED but now I would put them in a 3D printed holder on the bar ends. One could hold the brake light switch too.

GPS - needs to be on a holder fixed to the right hand wheel well and under the hood so the sun does not affect reading the screen. Long distance travel requires a GPS. Switzerland is a nice country but the route to Spezi is not the best on that side of the Rhine... Turn on the annoying voice so that you don't go too far off track!

4. Brakes

Look further up in this thread, you will need real brake levers when you are driving fully loaded with camping gear. There are some TT brake levers which seem to be short enough to be installed in the end of the tiller arms without affecting the Rohloff shifter. The other solution is to add one of those accessory bars to the tiller and mount the Rohloff shifter there.

Or use a pair of bar ends as I have done. I find the driving position very comfortable too. Get the lightest bar ends you can find but they do need to be long enough. As a handbrake I use a velcro band. The latest one has survived since Alsace, I lost 2 before that...

5. Gearing

Sorry, you need a Rohloff. Your bank account may suffer a little but you will never regret it. I drove the whole way on the 42T chainring except for a couple of experiments on the 56T (of course 56T empty at the Spezi). 16T Rohloff sprocket, 50-406 rear tyre, go plat in the gear calculator. Lots of times I was at 35-37 km/h in 14th gear but that is fine. And when the battery died early in the day I used 1st gear and crawled up some steeper parts at 5-6 km/h. As long as you are moving forwards you are getting closer to the campground.If you are rolling backwards then you must have a problem.

I did regret a little to not have installed the chainring guards I promised myself before leaving. You need those when hand shifting at the front - you are tired, you have a huge truck bearing down on you from the rear, that is when the chain will fall off when shifting. Or install a front derailleur, click, click, you have shifted.

I was very pleased with my Mango style tensioner. I played a little with alignement on the way and got to a perfectly silent drive train (OK you hear the chain on the chainring, you know what I mean...)

If you only have one chain tube your Ginkgo idler pulley cage only needs one chain tube holder. Please don't ask how I know... :rolleyes:

6. Tyres and tubes

Front CCU in 50-406, not much to say, they look like new, the track must be set correctly. One puncture on the left, the right which drove through all the holes and broken glass didn't.

Rear Gocycle 50-406, I put it on the day before leaving in place of the 56-406 Maxxis DTH. Puctured through the rolling band by a "sharp object" in Belfort. Another slow puncture in Germany but could not find the hole.

AV7 tubes, they don't hold air when they are new. I had noticed this on the trike and the CCU which didn't puncture held air much longer than the 2 new ones I put in. After a while they seem to be more airtight, the trike front tyres still have the same pressure as when I left 4 weeks ago. OK it has been inside and not driven but still.

7. Battery and BBS01

Arriving within 26 km of the Spezi the BBS01 started making noises, I though white nylon gear but then it stopped so I think more like controller FETs.

My battery was too small for the conditions I encountered. Last year 3.4 Wh/km and here 5.6 Wh/km. A > 800 Wh battery would have been more comfortable. Learning by experience, lots of rain, colder temperatures, headwinds and more hills than in the Landes.

8. Windscreen wiper

You need one in April and May. Worked great, I saw the Hovelo one which I would like to try also. The screen has a nice CD-ROM pattern when the sun shines so I get to test polishing those out - she has some polycarbonate polish for the Yaris headlights!

More thoughts will probably come later.

* I forgot the GPS/phone when parked in front of a supermarket, of course someone had tried to get in through the window but had not managed to open the window or the door :rolleyes:

9. 12v to 5v charger/power supply

Next time there will be a charger lead from the main battery to the GPS (Nokia phone). @JKL told me to install this but I forgot, it would have saved me a lot of wasted, steep km when I got lost going to Chalon-sur-Saône! I bought a small battery en route but I even managed to empty the phone and the extra battery a couple of times. I do have a 12v power line with nothing connected to it...

I would recommend velcro to hold the Ventisit and avoid any marks on your back. Thanks for the detailed write up.
Phil

After the high, I'm coming down... Regrets, but only a few:

- I would have enjoyed driving a CF velomobile at the Spezi even over a short distance (so that I could compare)
- I would have preferred to build my Agilo correctly and have a little less weight. A 30.5 km/h average over 2 hours heavily loaded shows the potential of the plan! After analysis I seriously think a 30 km/h (or high 20's) average speed over long distances on good surface is a realistic ambition for an Agilo
- I hate ticks...
- maybe more than BRouter? :unsure:
- next time pure HPV so that I don't need to use camping grounds to charge the battery

Thank you all for a great experience!

As for the seat i have good experience using a 1 meter bit of aluminium 10x1mm. That can be bend in to shape easily by hand. So u can copy the intricate shape of the seat. Once in form, it is stable enough to copy that sideview to a seat form. The optimal seatshape is not the same for everyone. I'd look in to improving the upper part, to better suit your bodyshape, get a bit more support in the shoulderblade area.

When u take a cheap closed cellfoam mat, one of those camping mats, or yoga mat, u can cut that up in smaller sections and use double sided tape to stick it to the seatbase. U can even stack multiple layers. This is not a permanent sollution that will last years, but it is good enough to last several months and get and idea if a certain shape works. The foam can also be cut, sanded, shaped with a dremel.

I have a shoulder support cushion which works very well already. It is just the vertebrae relief slot which is missing - a nice summer project, I can't drive here during the summer vacation. Then testing in September on the road to the French velomobile meeting. :giggle:

The low tech solution is ready for testing:

- 10 mm exercise mat
- 2 pieces cut and stuck with double sided tape to the seat back
- 6-7 cm gap between them down the centre of the seat
- 10 mm holes punched through the mat (before gluing!) that coincide with the ventilation holes in the seat. OK some more or less... :rolleyes: A hole punch was made from a sharpened section of 12 mm aluminium tube from the material box.

The vertebrae relief is visible in the ventisit after sitting on the seat for 5 minutes! Static test feels very comfortable, pushing hard I no longer touch the seat back with my bones.

While the ventisit was off I looked inside (I had cut out 1 of the cable ties on the road) and it could have a vertebrae relief slot cut in 1 layer of the material (even in 2 layers with 3 layer mats). To keep it in shape a few stitches with a nylon thread are all that is needed.

Photos after conclusive road testing.

Works! Photos tomorrow. And air extraction is not affected! Another dry back ride :giggle:

The kind of idea I wished I had dreamt up around the 16th of April... :rolleyes:

under-the-ventisit.jpg

From bottom to top:

- seat cushion, 10 mm exercise mat with a second 50 mm wide strip at the front to give some angle. Held on with velcro and a second velcro for the ventisit mat
- small 10 mm cushion which is positioned in the angle to make it rounder
- vertebrae relief pads, 10 mm exercise mat with holes for the ventilation system. The distance shown by the blue line will differ for each individual driver, the empty space creates the curve for lumbar support
- the top cushion supports the shoulder blades. My seat top should have been bent more vertical during construction, it should be at about 90º to the horizontal floor.

It was not worth taking a photo with the ventisit on, the black mat does not show the vertebrae relief channel well on a photo but you can see with the naked eye.

punch-for-mat.jpg

A quick and nasty punch made from 12 mm tube to cut 10 mm holes in exercise mats.

Yesterday's test also had another interesting statistic, 4.5 Wh/km in town! I think I am seriously fit now :giggle: Usual number is 6.5 Wh/km on that route... No problems driving 30-34 km/h on the flat and 27 km/h up the 1-2% gradients.

How do you like the closed sides of the seat near the wheelwells, on both sides of that white cusion? I contemplating about having something like that, but i am not sure if its ok. I could make a seat with some side flanges sticking up, as there not enough space for flanges going down. Width would be 39-40 cm, about equal to what u have i guess?

How do you like the closed sides of the seat near the wheelwells, on both sides of that white cusion? I contemplating about having something like that, but i am not sure if its ok. I could make a seat with some side flanges sticking up, as there not enough space for flanges going down. Width would be 39-40 cm, about equal to what u have i guess?

Those are part of the monocoque structure, they make an Agilo very stiff! There is enough room there to put a cereal bar or two, my keys etc. I think they would also provide protection in case of lateral collision. There could be a foam cushion between the seat and there to prevent you sliding off the seat but I am (was?) a trike guy so I still move about a lot in corners, I move over as counterweight when I hit a roundabout at speed. One day I will get old I promise, but for the moment I am still a dangerous lunatic :sneaky:

There are festivities in town so tonight so I drove the main road home, the cycle path is closed, less than 15 minutes she said, there was no traffic... And less than 3 Wh/km, it is much less steep!

It took me a long time! But the last try at getting the air damper set to the correct pressure seems pretty good. Of course I am also carrying 4 kg less dead weight but when I got back from the trip I removed a little too much air and was sagging too much. The drive to the vegetable garden just now was smooth(er) and I was getting a lot more Watts to the rear wheel, I could feel that it was squatting less.

Now I just need to read the pressure and note system weight and will have a good starting point for future settings. For myself and for other air damper users too!

This week I tested a couple of new things:

- during my trip I drove in the rain (too often...) and I drove at night (once). This week I drove in the rain at night. I mean real rain, lots of it, and it is not really something you want to do very often. I need to get the wheels off to check the brakes because I lost a lot of braking performance when they got wet.

- friends from NL are here and I got him to sit inside, he is 2 metres tall and wears size 48.5 shoes... :eek: Of course he could not drive because of the 165 mm cranks and the BB position but he had plenty of head room and "the seat is very comfortable". The door was a bit of a challenge but he has a bad right knee so looked as un-elegant as me at the beginning when getting out. The shoe size needs more investigation but I don't have a spare pair of 145 mm cranks lying about. ;) Just guessing but I think that 155 mm cranks and size 45 shoes might be the limit :unsure: Are there SPD shoes in 48.5? He has problems buying walking shoes, Decathlon stops at size 48.

Or just cut the top off with a chainsaw when you get stuck inside. :sneaky: A scientific experiment that went wrong :ROFLMAO:

For sure the friend from NL is not built like a rugby player as you are! I don't know how reinforced the A9 is but the top of my steering bridge is only 3 mm ply, the front edge of the seat has a hidden strip of UD carbon fibre tape because I broke it during construction*. I can jump up and down on that area now :giggle:

* climbing in and out through the window before the door was cut was not always a good idea...

I don't know how reinforced the A9 is but the top of my steering bridge is only 3 mm ply, the front edge of the seat has a hidden strip of UD carbon fibre tape because I broke it during construction
OT: I totally trust the steering bridge, but I once invited a bloke that was also 2 m but looked even more rugged than I am (I guess ~120 kg) to try my brand new A9 as he came by on his road bike. I told him to step onto the seat (as always because that's what you do).
Two days later I did the same (at home) and it just cracked its front edge. Must have been too much (it was a seat from Daniel himself and I guess they are always a bit on the lighter side than the ones from RO... however, got it massively reinforced there with lots of UD now so that would not happen again). I was glad it did not happen right away when the guy tried it because I was ~40 km away from home...

Back to Agilo: I know that me stepping on a thin thing made of plywood can make you walk back to France. And I didn't like to risk that... ;)
I'll get back to you when you have one made from oak or copper beech...

The brakes were adjusted with the grinding tool and no slots yet. I drove through deep water and a lot of powder was washed out during the tour so I took the right wheel off to check. Still lots of meat on the brake.

Using the Velcro strap as a hand brake has stretched the cable a little too so I have an hour in the workshop setting the brakes again. After 3500 km that seems normal, in any case braking remains better than with the coupled tiller brake lever!

Zurück
Oben Unten