Agilo velomobile

Day two (or three? :eek: ) of chain installation. I have learnt many things:

- never have a chain problem on the side of the road
- as soon as the chain enters a chain tube it twists 180º...
- chain tubes are evil (but bicycle chains cut plywood like butter...)
- 1 Connex link is very hard to find in 3 chains riveted together

It looks like I put the sprocket on the wrong way on the Alfine, there is not much room for the shifter cable. I copied the way a nice Japanese man did it on Youtube but he was installing on an upright. Getting it off again is going to be fun because of the C clip from hell (I think Shimano had it made there).

Basically I need a couple of front wheels and a longer terrasse for road testing! The thing is done! But for the moment the weather is great and I need the trike*. Painting will be complicated because there is too much wind... Life is just so many compromises :rolleyes:

Todo list:

- install controller and LCD (I have a funky idea for that)
- paint
- install windows
- drive
- install electrics (the nice Chinese woman sent me the wrong indicator switch... you naughty Chinese person!)

* I am currently assembling a garden shed for you know who, much more important than me getting my living room back she said...

Next week if the weather allows painting outside. I don't do that in my living room any more.

And don't forget the hardest part of the drive the first 4 floors down :giggle:

Why is it necessary to throw out a nice piece of furniture for nothing else but a bottle of red wine? :cool: The French are sometimes a bit strange in this respect, I know.

Gruß
Chris*curious about the next pictures*stoph

Why is it necessary to throw out a nice piece of furniture for nothing else but a bottle of red wine? :cool: The French are sometimes a bit strange in this respect, I know.

Gruß
Chris*curious about the next pictures*stoph

I'm not French :p, the wine is from Navarra by the way, you can even see Navarra from my balcony but not the wine growing part, just some of the mountains ...

Photos of drying paint are very boring :giggle: tonight Agilo gets to sleep inside and on a rug!

I wish I had documented the brake sensor wiring when I put it on the upright pedelec... For the moment that is my only issue to solve but a brake sensor will not be obligatory for test drives!

Todo for tomorrow:

- adjust brakes
- mount windows
- take right hand crank off and investigate chainring wobble
- wait for help to get it down to the ground...

Of course there is still work to be done, a historic vote (1 voice for - 0 voices against) has decided that finishing bodywork will be done after test driving. Sharp eyes will spot a couple of warts below ...

After a long and interesting year, thanks to or despite being locked up at home and a complicated financial situation, because there were no jobs in 2020, I give to you an almost finished Agilo vélomobile:

before-the-storm.jpg

right-almost.jpg

There is one coat of V33 Extreme Climate (12 year guarantee!) RAL9016 house paint rolled on over 2 coats of universal primer. In places you can still see the wood grain despite primer and sanding, a coat of epoxy over the outside would have prevented that. The rear window still has the protective white film on the polycarbonate, it will stay like that until I buy the anti-UV film. Today after 48 hours the paint is dry enough to put the indicators in without them becoming permanently stuck. Some internal varnishing remains to be done. I don't have a front light yet. A light sanding and a second coat of paint are planned for the coming weeks. @Schrau-Bär it is a 7.5 metre paint job :LOL:, but very little orange peel effect.

Bodo Sitko has drawn an interesting shape - in the photos the nose appears much shorter than it seems when you look at it with your eyes and not a camera. The volume inside is "huge" which makes being there feel very comfortable, I don't think overheating will be much of an issue, I can check that because my KT LCD has a very accurate thermometer. Much more accurate than the speed reading... :rolleyes: The part of the hood that is varnished does reflect a little in the windshield. Some have recommended painting that part black but I do not want a large black area exposed to the sun so I will use a strip of black cloth for when I am driving in bright sunny conditions which I can remove when stationary.

Today there is too much wind to attempt lowering, imagine a 38 kg pendulum swinging dangerously close to the side of a building, bad things could happen... :eek:

Stay tuned, next episode "The Big Drop"...

The weather is perfect and my team is not available :mad:

I just got off the scales - If I had used the correct thickness of aluminium tube (the one that is on the plan) the weight would be 39.44 kg (around Orca weight). This is including an Alfine 8 hub (1.68 kg) and the >3.8 kg motor. Mine is slightly heavier however, 41 kg ... :rolleyes:

Today, if I had 2600€ to spare, a Mountain Drive + Rohloff combination would allow me to drive without a motor. It would save about 2.7 kg and more than double the cost of my build... Yes hazard would have it that the extra cost is just under 1€ per gram saved :giggle:

Today in my spreadsheet I am at a total cost of approximately (some nuts and bolts may be missing from the total) 2402,30€. This includes 2 front wheels which I will build during the summer and shipping, depending on where you live shipping cost of parts will be higher or lower. I already had a motor and a battery from my upright pedelec and used a few other parts from my bicycle parts box. A brand new Chinese bottom bracket motor, shipped from a German warehouse with a 48v battery, costs under 600€. I have not included the cost of tools which I bought for this project.

A building time of 4 weeks can be achieved. Because the government gave us a year off work I took my time. It is a shame that extra time cannot be seen in superior build quality... :( My bad...

I am pretty sure, would you go on and build another one after commissioning of #1, it would be much closer to perfect. But all imperfections do not matter once you are riding it. It is built for the streets and not for a museum.

It has a very pleasant look to it. Way more sophisticated appearance than all those efforts we have seen from numerous startups and even some big players trying to step into the light transport segment.

Ahem... :rolleyes:

one-way-ticket.jpg

No video, untrained personnel... :(

And the new home:

bike-garage.jpg

Of course it rained! Even more heavily once the descent began. No battle scars but the windscreen did decide to pop out half way down (when the rain really started) so I guess Agilo was christened by the the rain maker... Now it has stopped raining so I have to go out for a test drive on wet roads... :sick:

Looking likea bit a private crashtest.:cool:
Congratulations to the succesfull launch and baptism!

Always save trips on your travels. (y) Best Jake

Test drive on wet roads. Oh no, it will get wet and dirty. :oops:

Drive carefully, must be a joy to have it on the road finaly!

I was thinking more about brakes with new pads, learning tiller steering, things like that. ;)

I made a mistake attaching my chain tubes so only 600 metres driven in the car park before the first breakdown - too embarrassing to talk about... :rolleyes:

16 km/h top speed! In the car park driving in circles all the same!

Zurück
Oben Unten