Agilo velomobile

Still lots of meat on the brake.
That ain't tell you much, unfortunately. They will look pretty much the same, even if they are worn down enough to be ready for da boot.
What's the diameter of the brake pads? (ø88,0-88,5mm is fine, but ø87,7mm is worn down beyond usability)

That's what I did too. I can feel no difference between bright sunshine and heavy rain.
I used a Dremel with a 3mm milling cutter.
Maybe thats because your brake dust is inside the slots. But if its a wet paste between brake pads and drum, I can imagine it will affect brake performance noticeably.

@Schrau-Bär Remember I am about 15 kg lighter than you, vehicle weight I mean ;)

And while we are on the subject of weight this is the time of year I really could use a lot less - pollen = asthma season. Asthma is one very good reason for having e-assist. Driving home just now I was 6-7 km/h slower than this morning (on the flat, 26 km/h instead of 32-35km/h). Temperature over 30º C does not help much either when you can't breathe your full dose of oxygen </EOT>

30º C air temperature - the new front part only side windows (original version from the plan) + windscreen air entry work better than my previous summer windows because the opening is larger. Last September I tried going to Vendee with the winter windows, "in case it rains". It didn't rain and I was not getting enough air...

That ain't tell you much, unfortunately. They will look pretty much the same, even if they are worn down enough to be ready for da boot.
What's the diameter of the brake pads? (ø88,0-88,5mm is fine, but ø87,7mm is worn down beyond usability)

A project for tomorrow morning! What pad life can I expect?

- steep
- heavy vehicle (and driver before April)
- first 1000 km driven in town with lots of stop and start

I would guess they have probably done 5000 km in total.

Hard to say. Depends how you brake. I like to brake pretty late and hard.
According to my notes (nine 90mm sets), after 5000-8000km its about time for a cleaning* and shims (0,25-0,8mm shims depending on pad diameter). Only the pads with close to 20,000km under their belt are worn down enough (<ø87,7mm) to accept da boot.

Currently, the brakes in my V-L (with 26" or 28" wheels) start getting a bit iffy after a mere 10,000km (only dusted them off once or twice, yet).

*aceton, not brake cleaner

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

I am at 88 mm but the battery in my micrometre is flat so I read that off the scale - could be 87.9 mm...

When you are driving velomobile distances you hardly touch the brakes but driving to the vegetable garden and back probably means I have been using mine twice as much as normal. The trike brakes are older but it is half the weight and I don't touch the brakes often, downhill never... :rolleyes:

I am at 88 mm but the battery in my micrometre is flat so I read that off the scale - could be 87.9 mm...
Time to cut some shims, then. Have fun! (its slightly tedious work... :rolleyes:)

At ø88mm you could insert 0.5, or 0.8mm shims in the "brake shoes".
After that (some 5,000-10,000km in the future), the "da boot" brake shoes should fit.

Try these:

So I cleaned the interior of the brakes :rolleyes:

I had more adjustment left than I imagined. The linings are slightly glazed so the @Kid Karacho tool is back on duty and I will resurface the linings. Now that the trike is gone :cry: Agilo will be getting more love and attention, I promise!

The seat modification worked during the 900 km tour. I have another personal problem (it is called long term computer users back) I need to work on that but if you have a "normal" anatomy the exercise map strips will help a lot over long distances.

I also bought a phone holder which works great for navigation but it is hard to photograph it working when the camera is also the GPS... 12 € at the local automobile supermarket.

No other modifications for this trip other than a lot more ultra-light camping gear and a lower system weight overall.

Agilo had a busy week last week:

- we drove to Boucau to meet @bebauchterbiker and guide him back to Saint Jean de Luz trying to avoid the worst of the climbs (I failed...). It was my fastest ever drive to the meeting point with an average speed of 28.7 km/h. I took the "car" route https://brouter.de/brouter-web/#map...43.439339;-1.490364,43.524531&profile=car-eco so it wasn't flat
- we left the VMs under shelter at her neighbours house
- on Friday I transferred back to a friends garage (the same one I did the last work in before Spezi) in the pouring rain. I loved the drive despite having to use the windscreen wiper and the microfibre cloth all the way, not going fast enough to clear the screen. Agilo will remain there for a while because I want to fix the knock in the rear suspension and change the freewheel in the motor (finally).

I am now riding a Bergamont cargo bike around town. After looking at all sorts of solutions to the problem of transporting boating and fishing stuff with Agilo I decided it was the most logical and practical solution, better than a trailer. I still had upright rain gear in the cupboard and a used cargo popped up on the web so I grabbed it. It has everything I didn't want on a pedelec - Bosch motor, enviolo hub... The motor is OK but I don't like being tied to using Bosch batteries. These days you can find cheaper compatible ones so I can live with that. The hub sucks as much as I imagined it would, the gear ratio is horrible! I spin out at 26-27 km/h as soon as the road is flat... :censored: But this bike is just a tool for moving stuff, up to 30 kg, around Sain Jean de Luz so I will just suffer in silence. The other option the Bergamont had when new was a 10 speed Deore, if I decide to go further away from home I might build a derailleur wheel with more gear range.

One positive point about the Bosch motor is that it measures cadence and rider power. If the accuracy can be trusted it confirmed my suspicions:

- average comfortable cadence between 85 and 95 rpm
- average power output about 170 Watts
- peak power (over 10 of seconds) > 400 Watts

To get the readings just turn off the assistance and read the screen :giggle:

Yesterday was carnival and I finally managed to get a copy of the photo an acquaintance took about 80 km from home. The very tired driver weighs 72 kg and doesn't yet realise he will have driven >2500 km in 3 weeks. That will come when he sees Bayonne cathedral and La Rhune.

almost-home-small.jpg

Notice the quality of the road surface, another 10-15 km of hell before getting back on the smooth stuff.

So just now a potential buyer test drove Agilo around my hilly Basque Country home. His wife came along too but could not drive because only 1.58 m and too complicated to set things up for her quickly.

If he does not give me a positive reply in the next few days I will begin a sales thread here on the forum and delivery will be possible to southern Germany (near the Spezi or around Lake Constance) at the end of April / beginning of May.

From now on Agilo #2 (first one built) will be driving along the banks of the Dordogne in the Bordeaux wine fields. Delivery later this month! (y)

Zurück
Oben Unten