Aus dem Leben eines EVO-R

Nun ist das Rennen vorbei. Schade eigentlich. Aber im Gegensatz zu den anderen Teilnehmern haben wir noch die ganze Rückreise in die Schweiz vor uns. Etwa 1300 km quer durch England und Frankreich. Und dazu soll es immer schönstes Wetter geben. Ist das nicht fantastisch.

Lichfield, 24.9.18

Liverpool - Lichfield

This morning was the morning of the collected nuissances. It started already with the English breakfast. They wanted to charge 2 £ extra for the hot chocolate, because English breakfast is with tea or coffee, but not hot chocalate. Then they didn't want to accept my money because it was from the Isle of Man and this is not accepted in England.

On the road it was not much better. The old bridge over the river Mersey was under deconstruction and the new bridge did not allow bicycles. This meant quite a long detour over Warrington. Another smaller detour was due to a flooded underpass. And I thought Europe has had a hot summer. England obviously does not belong to Europe.

b48.JPG
Town center of Sandbach

b50.JPG
Romantic road along a canal

After chocolate and cake in the lovely town of Sandbach (doesn't sound very English does it?) things brightened up. I passed old villages and followed picturesque water canals, it was really beautiful but terribly slow. After a beer in Stoke-on-Trent (the beer being the most exciting thing in this city) I swapped the country lanes to dual carriage ways. Here the progress was much better. Bicycles are perfectly legal on dual carriage ways, as I found out with Google. In no time I reached Lichfield and also the end point of todays journey.

b49.JPG
Beer in Stoke-om-Trent

What happened to your Flevo tail fin? Did it brake when crashed? I am thinking of ordering one for my velo, but not sure it is fix enough. Any suggestion on this? Thanx!

Heute haben wir das erste Velomobil auf unserer Reise gesichtet. Zwar nicht so schön und elegant wie meine Wenigkeit aber auch nicht von schlechten Eltern. Es hatte sogar ein Fähnchen, damit man es im Verkehr nicht übersieht.

Dunstable, 25.9.18

Lichfield - Dunstable

A blue sky woke me up this morning. Just the right weather for another velomobile day. Traveling with a velomobile is like having christmas every day. Every day is like opening a new christmas present. You don't know what is inside, but you know, it will be something special.

Today the first surprise came already in the morning, in the lovely town Tamworth. A new and extremely charming type of velomobile crossed my way. A bumper car. Why not. A bit unusual but it works. The owner and me, we had a good laugh, each one admiring the unexpected sibbling. But no time for coffee. The bumber car owner was already late for work.

b52.JPG
A new type of Velomobile

My next stop was Coventry with its famous Cathedral or what is left after the bombing during the Second World War. An intersting detail is that the strengthening with iron girders they buildt in before the war, eventually proved to be fatal for the stone structure during the fire after the bombing. Today every civil engineer knows, that iron girders need a special fire resistant protection.

b51.JPG
The old Coventry Cathedral

But I couldn't stay too long. There were still 120 km till Dunstable, where Rona and Peter live. Rona has been the language teacher in Luton, where I have been assistant 44 years ago. That was in 1974/75. And this is also the year in which my wife and me visited the Isle of Man with the motorbike to watch the TT races.

So eine Zumutung! Da hab ich Dynamik sicher und wohlbehütet durch das gefährliche London geführt und nun muss ich zwischen all diesen schrecklichen Gespenstern schlafen. Da scheint der Wahlspruch auf dem Grabstein im letzten Bild doch seine Richitigkeit zu haben.

Rochester, 27.9.18

Dunstable - Rochester

After this enjoyable restday at the house of Rona and Peter I started today fresh und full of energy towards London. I drove through Luton, where Karin and me had been teaching German as foreign language assistances 44 years ago. I passed the lovely towns of Harpendon and St. Albans, where we had often visited the marked. It is still very nice there today, just dear old England.

Crossing London with a velomobile is a challenge. It takes time. In general the drivers were very polite and did let me pass even if I did make some strange moves. Once a motorbike driver shouted: "You need a flag or you will be so killed!" I wonder wether I would be not so killed with a flag.

Anyway, I reached Greewich Village save and sound and made a small tour on the Greenwich University campus. Whereever I stopped I've been asked by students, if they may take some fotos. "Of course" l replied, "but you have to tell me, where the Prime Meridan is." "Never heard of that, what is it?" was the usual answer. I don't know what they teach these kids. They are standing right on the Prime Meridian and don't know.

B54.JPG
Greenwich University campus

At six o'clock I reached Rochester and decided to lodge in the "Kings Head". The "Kings Head" seems to be one of the oldest "Drinking Houses" of Great Britain. The big problem we had, was therefore not the beer supply but the storing of EVA. Luckily the owners son was so enthusiastic about my velomobile that he tried everything to get EVA a good sheltered place. And that was not easy in this old building. Now EVA is parked vertically in the staircase. I hope she is not frightened to death by all those ghastly faces staring at her.

B55.JPG
Staircase in "The Kings Head"

The staircase of "The Kings Head" is a real horror. From every corner dreadful figures stare at you and each step produces a squeeky sound. The railings are broad and worn and the doors need hard pushing to get them open. And then they close with a horrible bang behind you. The rooms are named after famous figures in Dickens stories, like Miss Havisham or Artful Dodger. Mine is called Pip. I doubt that this is a good place to sleep.

B56.JPG

Kaum zu glauben, jetzt haben wir in knapp 4 Tagen ganz England durchquert. Und das bei schönstem Sonnenschein. Kein einziger Tropfen! Das mit der Glaskuppel ist doch die beste und vor allem die schönste Lösung.

Calais, 28.9.18

Rochester - Calais

Having survived the haunted house in Rochester without greater damage on body and soul (except a terrible dream that still is following me) I carried on in my velomobile towards Canterbury with chocolate and cake and a visit of the famous cathedral in mind. The cathedral I had to skip due to renovation work. But apple crumbel with custard and hot chocolate was available. Better this way than the other way round.

b58.JPG
The famous White Cliffs of Dover

England is extremely hilly in this south-eastern corner. It was a nice but also tough. At 3 o'clock the ferry left and the white cliffs of Dover displayed their beauty in full splendour. 5 o'clock we disembarked in Calais. But here it was already 6 o'clock and therefore time to find a hotel.

b59.JPG
On the Dover-Calais Ferry

The most famous thing in Calais is certainly the sculpture in front of the Hotel de Ville, in English called "The Burghers of Calais". Mind you, it's not from MacDonalds, it from Rodin. Rodin took up the historic event of the siege of calais by Edward III in 1346. Edward offered, to spare the people of the city, if six of its leaders would surrender themselves to him, presumably to be executed.

b60.JPG
The Burghers of Calais

Zürich has also a piece of art from Rodin. Not that heroic but probably even more famous, "The gate to Hell". I'm not quite sure wether it's in front of a bank or in the Art Gallery.

Heute hat sich meine Schlankheit wieder einmal bezahlt gemacht. Alle Autos mussten einen Riesenumweg fahren, nur weil zwei Autos sich gestreift haben. Für mich reicht ein schmales Trotoir.

Cambrais, 29.9.18

Calais - Cambrai

Rolling against a bright morning sun I left Calais this morning. The nicest part of this day was that the "Pas de Calais" has no mountains at all. It's ideal for velomobiles. So I proceeded from Calais to Saint-Omer, then to Bethune and reached Cambrai after 160 km. Not too much for this flat land, but all the coffe and cake stops take some time.

b61.JPG
Along a canal in Béthune

Cambrai is a nice but somehow sombre town. No wonder after all the battles fought here. From 924 Cambrai belonged to the Holy Roman Empire (actually Germany with a few addendums) in
an uncomfortable position on the border with France, until it was annexed by France eight centuries later. I didn't spend too much time visiting the old town center but had instead a wonderful evening meal in the Mouton Blanc.

b62.JPG
Hotel de Ville in Cambrai

Jeden Morgen nimmt sich Dynamik vor, 200 km pro Tag zu absolvieren. Aber irgendwie schaffen wir es nicht über 150 km pro Tag. Wahrscheinlich müsste man etwas früher als 9 Uhr losfahren. Aber dann sind es ja keine Ferien mehr. Und schliesslich sind wir auch nicht auf der Flucht. Deshalb gondeln wir gemütlich südwärts dem Jura entgegen.

Château Thierry, 30.9.18

Cambrai - Château Thierry

Das gute Wetter bleibt mir treu. Bei schönstem Sonnenschein geht's südwärts nach Saint Quentin, Soisson und schliesslich nach Château Thierry. Auf diesem Abschnitt finden sich die typischen wellenartigen Geländestrukturen von Nordfrankreich. Immer wieder steigt es von 50 m auf 200 m um dann wieder sanft auf 50 m runter zu sinken. Mit dem Velomobil ist dieses Auf und Ab noch recht angenehm, denn man kann beim Abwärtsfahren recht Tempo machen. Schneller als 60 fahre ich allerdings nie, denn immer wieder gibt es Querwinde oder Bodenunebenheiten, die recht gefählich werden können.

b63.JPG
Südwärts Richtung Soissons

In Château Thierry , nach etwa 150 km, habe ich ein zauberhaftes Hotel gefunden, Le Jardin des Fables. Der Garten und die Zimmer werden dem Namen voll und ganz gerecht. Das Haus ist über 500 Jahre alt und jede Ecke ist liebevoll dekoriert.

b65.JPG
Der Garten von "Jardin des Fables"

b64.JPG
Mein Zimmer im "Jardin des Fables"

Gegenüber dem Jardin des Fables steht ein weiteres Hotel, das Hotel-Dieu. Zum Glück habe ich da nicht angeklopft. Das ist nämlich ein Krankenhaus aus dem 14. Jahrhundert. Da ist mir der Jardin des Fables doch sympathischer.

Ich finde die Hotels immer vor Ort mit Google Maps. Das geht natürlich nur in der Nebensaison. Auch muss man recht flexibel sein in den Ansprüchen. So hatte ich auf dieser Reise alles zeischen 2 und 4 Sternen. Oft helfen auch die neugierigen Passanten. In Kortrijk hat mir ein Passant besorgt vom 4-Stern-Hotel in der Stadtmitte, vor dem ich grad stand, abgeraten. Das sei viel zu teuer für mich, am Bahnhof gebe es ein günstigeres. Was er nicht wissen konnte und ich auch noch nicht, dass der Besitzer des Hotels an diesem Tag in besonders guter Stimmung war und mir ein wunderschönes Einzelzimmer zum halben Preis überlassen wird. Solche Reisen sind voller Ueberraschungen.

So jetzt hat es Dynamik auch gemerkt. Etwas stimmt beim hinteren Schwingenlager nicht. Da rappelt etwas. Hätte er schon lange beheben können, denn das hatten wir schon in Italien, nur nicht so laut.

Châtillon-sur-Seine, 1.10.18

Château Thierry - Châtillon sur Seine

Again a wonderful day for riding a velomobile. After a steep climb from 50 to 200 m, rolling hills followed. The up and downs were not too exessive, so I usually could gain the hilltops with the speed gained in the previous downhill part. Outside the velomobile it's now quite fresh but inside it is just ideal. I guess autumn is approaching.

b68.JPG
Autumn is approaching

EVA, my velomobile, behaves flawlessly. No puncture or any other mechanical problem. And we have covered already more than 2000 km. There is one little concern about the rear suspension. It seems that one of the bearings of the swing arm is a bit loose and makes some rattling noise if the road is bad. But I guess it will hold for the remaining 300 km.

Towards 2 o'clock I reached Troyes. After passing unpleasant industrial suburbs I quite unexpectedly landed in a charming historical center. While I entered one of the nice coffee shops, an elderly lady asked with a mischievous smile, wether she could have a test ride. "Of course!" I said, "but you must be back in half an hour." But she didn't dare.

b67.JPG
Town centre of Troyes

After Troyes the road followed the river Seine. Here the Seine is much smaller than what we are used from our visits to Paris. Riding through this part of the Seine valley is very pleasent. No roller coaster ride as in the morning, just level terrain and - important for a velomobile - smooth tarmac.

It seems that the training of the last two weeks is showing some good effects. In reaching Châtillon sur Seine I have covered 180 km in one day. I know, expierienced velomobile drivers would say, that is about the minimum, you should cover in one day.

Heute haben wir nur 160 km geschafft. War aber auch alles bergauf und bergrunter und dazu noch dieser Rumpel-Belag. Erst kurz vor Besançon gings dann richtig schnell. Aber so schnell wie Dynamik erzält, waren wir auch wider nicht. Ueber 60 kmh getraut er nämlich nicht. Da müsste man wohl noch einiges an meiner Lenkgeometrie modifizieren. Die Wäscheleine vorne und hinten (pardon: Stormstrips) hat ja schon einiges gebracht. Aber wie Ian Perry mit seinem DF mit 120 kmh den Berg runterbrettern, das wäre ja nicht schlecht.

Besançon, 2.10.18

Chatillon sur Seine - Besançon

To day I travelled on small roads from village to village. Not much traffic and always a bit up und down. In one of these small villages I wanted to have a nice lunch. I hoped for an old style restaurant where I might get some potatoes with sausage. But I was mistaken. There was a Turkisch Kebab Bar, but that was a bit too noisy for my taste and then there was the "Cheval Blanc", totally renovated and everything stylish. Some of the guests even wore a tie. They must have come from far away to eat here. The meal I got was really excellent.

The landscape in this area is nice but not really exciting. Once a deer run out of the wood and crossed the street. At last some excitement. Then came big fluffy thing appeared. First I thought it might be a bear, but as it was trailing a leach behind him, it was quite clear that it was a dog who has escaped his master. I didn't wait to see the master panting out of the wood trying to catch his dog.

Finding the right road, i.e. a road that suits a velomobile, was a major challenge in France and also in England. Usually the nice small roads zig-zag through the country and always take the steepest hills, while the larger roads have more traffic and quite often turn into dual carriageways. This happened also today on the approach to Besançon. Coming down from a high plateau on a small road I suddeenly found myself on a three lane road. But as it was downhill I had almost the same speed as the cars.

Todays jouney ended in Besançon. It's a nice town but it lacks a real old historic center with narrow lanes and bars full of poeple. Maybe its just too late in the year.

b69.JPG

Heute morgen war die Stimmung nicht sonderlich gut. Kein Wunder bei diesem Nieselregen. Dabei sitzt DYNANIK schön im Trockenen und blinzelt durch die Glaskuppel, durch die man allerdings nicht sehr viel sieht. Dabei hatten wir von 20 Reisetagen nur 2 halbe Regentage. Ist eigentlich nicht schlecht für den Monat September.

Montalchez, 3.10.18

Homeward bound

The last bit of my ride across Europe was the hardest one. On 100 km I had a cumulative climb of 1900m. At least this gives me the self-assurance I will need for the next epic ride. And the next epic ride will certainly not be any shorter.

Besançon is buildt in a loop of the River Doubs and this river has left a natural wall of almost 300 m altitude around the town. That was once very handy for defence purposes but is not so much for cyclists today. In order to avoid a long detour I had to push my velomobile for a full hour up a small footpath. From there the road gained altitude steadily up to 800 m until Pontarlier.

b71.JPG
The natural wall of Besançon

To me Pontarlier is the town where the time has stopped 200 years ago. The big main road with the impressive buildings on either side tell from times long past. The best place to eat is the "Grand Café Français". Not only the meal was exellent but also the staff . They were really enthusiastic about my contraption.

b72.JPG
The staff of the "Grand Café Français" in Pontarlier

The road continued to climb up to an altitude of 1153 to the "Col des Etroits". There I made a short stop at the cottage of Daniel, where I emptied a big bottle of Coke to prevent dehydration. Meanwhile the drizzle had stopped and a blue sky with a wonderful sunset welcomed me on the other side of the Jura mountans opening an incredible view over the midlands and into the Alps.

b73.JPG
The last hurdle

b74.JPG
Sunset on the other side of the Jura

After 3 weeks and 2500 km on the road I have reached our cottage on the south slope of the Jura where my dear wife and a warm fire was waiting. It's good to be home again.

Nach bestandener Langfahrt ist es Zeit, Rückschau zu halten. Was ist gut gelaufen und was könnte man besser machen?

Die Planung dieser Reise war perfekt. Ich habe nämlich nichts geplant. Ich bin von 150 km pro Tag ausgegangen und so wusste ich wann ich starten musste um zeitig beim Rennen auf der Isle of Man anzukommen. 150 km schafft man mit einem Velomobil gut in einem Tag. Die Routenwahl habe ich immer spontan gemacht, d.h. mit Google Maps und vor allem mit Wegweisern. Um aus einer Stadt rauszukommen, habe ich mich häufig auf Garmin verlassen. Aber über Land nützt Garmin nicht viel. Der schickte mich immer den Kanälen entlang und wenns keine Kanäle gab über die steilsten Hügel. Es war in Frankreich und England oft nicht einfach eine gute Route zu finden. In Italien war es wesentlich einfacher. In Frankreich und in England hat man wegen des starken Verkehrs oft alte Strassen zu zweispurigen Schnelltrassen ausgebaut, während man in Italien die Autobahnen und Schnellstrassen neu gebaut hat und die alten Strassen belassen hat.

Schön war natürlich, dass auf den ganzen 2'500 km keine einzige Panne aufgetreten ist. Kein Platten und nicht einmal nennenswerter Druckverlust in den Reifen. Vorne hatte ich Schwalbe Durano und hinten Schwalbe Kojak, beide mit normalen Butylschläuchen.

Die Schaltung funktionierte tadellos. Vorne 60-48-38 und hinten 11-42. Für die steilen Bergetappen hätte ich mir noch eine kleinere Uebersetzung gewünscht. Muss ich noch ändern.

Die neue Batterie mit 12.9 Ah hat sich bestens bewährt. Nun kann man den ganzen Tag Licht und Ventilator eingeschaltet lassen.

Die schönen Aussenspiegel von Birk habe ich abmontiert und durch Innenspiegel ersetzt. Das hat zwei Vorteile: Erstens ist man schlanker und zweitens ist der Luftwiderstand geringer. Man sieht nicht ganz so gut nach hinten, aber die Vorteile überwiegen.

Das Problem mit dem Schwingenlager hat sich als harmlos herausgestellt. Ich habe die Schwinge ausgebaut und die Zapfen festgezogen. Nun ist alles gut.

Das EVO-R ist absolut zuverlässig und macht riesig Spass auf Langfahrt. Natürlich ist die Glaskuppel ein Problem bei Regen und noch vielmehr bei Regen und Nacht. Aber dafür ist es (mit dem halbierten Hard-Top) bei trockenem Wetter die perfekte Lösung. Man hat nie Wind im Gesicht und hat doch das Gefühl, dass man draussen ist.

Vor der nächsten Langfahrt werde ich folgendes ändern:

- Felgenbremse hinten gegen hydraulische Scheibenbremse austauschen.
- 38-Kettenblatt (vorne) gegen 30-Kettenblatt tauschen (weiss zwar noch nicht wie).
- Umwerfer vorne modifizieren, dass er alle drei Kettenblätter schalten kann, nicht nur zwei. Für das kleinste Blatt hatte ich "Fuss-Schaltung".
- Vorne hydraulische Bremszylinder montieren
- Die Reifenwahl muss überdacht werden. Letztlich sind Zuverlässigkeit und Sicherheit wichtiger als die Geschwindigkeit.

Wenn all das modifiziert ist, kann es wieder los gehen. Aber da muss zuerst der Winter vorbei sein.

Zurück
Oben Unten