Hilgo (war: Neues Sinner Velomobil)

Here's another one waiting for his Hilgo. I ordered mine in early Dec. I wouldn't get any news from Sinner, unless I ask for news. But if I do, Melvin will always reply fast, even beyond their opening hours. Typically, the provided information is rather sparse and spongy though and I feel a bit like being kept warm in "almost done" or "few more weeks" manner. But im can imagine it's just difficult to be more precise. The latest forecast regarding the completion of my Hilgo is next week (May 14 to 20). It's from May 4.

Melvin also explained that they were behind schedule, namely because Harry and Roelf both caught a serious flu (3 + 2 weeks) in winter, but also due to issues with the gearing plate more recently.

The first production Hilgo was delivered early this week to a customer in Sweden. I have commincated with him. He reports it required only very minor adjustments seat/crank and that to him it felt 'fast'. It is all orange, and to me, looks great. He is excited.

Diese Farbkombi hab ich noch an keinem anderen VM gesehen!
Bei der der Form des Hilgo kommt sie besonders gut zur Geltung. Aber jetzt warten wir natürlich noch auf Fahrberichte,
Alltagserfahrungen etc. !

mit Tim Guthrie hatte ich mehrfach PN ausgetauscht. Er hat mir einen längeren Bericht geschickt, den er auf bentrider.com veröffentlich hat, aus irgendwelchen Gründen aber nicht hier direkt ins Forum bekommt. Er hat mich gebeten, das entsprechend hier einzustellen. Seit ein paar Tagen endlich auch Besitzer eines Hilgo in Cincinnati Ohio
Es folgt Zitat Tim (kursiv):

Delevered.
Wednesday night I drove to Chicago with my youngest son, and we picked up the velo at KLM/Air France Air Freight. This allowed me to get my hands on it sooner, and is supposed to save me 500 euros. It appeared in perfect condition, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside the giant cardboard box, on a pallet. I was very impressed with the packing job. I just brought it back, didn't do any real riding or evaluation save, for a short jaunt around a Denny's parking lot.

It fits in my Honda Odyssey minivan no problem with the middle seats removed. you might be able to fit it with only one seat removed, but I have not tried that yet.

Important disclosure: ALL my prior experience was in my old BV Quest. If I compare, that is what I am comparing to. Further, I am older, fatter, and in worse condition that when I had the quest. Last year I was road bike race fit, but the last 9 months my life had been nothing but work, and my condition shows it. Further, I crashed my mountain bike hard in May mountain biking with my oldest son, and smashed up my left knee. I sprained the left PCL. I can bike now, but I have lost some condition, and likely will avoid hills for a while.

As of now, I have 41 miles in the Hilgo, 23 of that today. These are my quick opinions or observations.

It is smaller than the quest. I knew that, and desired something easier to store, and maneuver, but seeing it in person it really sinks in. It is both shorter and narrower, and the cockpit edge may also be lower. Narrow is good (to a point), push less air, and the quest was larger than it needed to be in certain aspects. When I had the quest I wore XL shirts, now, often XL shirts are tight on my shoulders. This may not be important, but the cabin is tight for me. I didn't say too tight, and when I ride off 20lbs, I will be smaller, it may be fine. Also, with 4 years without a velo, I need to adapt again. Getting in and out is the same routine, but with smaller opening, I need to do the shoulder twist. After 2 rides, I am already able to "do the twist" and pop my shoulders out if I need to while riding.

I cannot provide detailed performance info now, but I can say it handles well, has a tight turning radius, and feels firm on the road. The suspension is set pretty firm, and I am ok with that. It behaves as you would expect a velo, it really accelerates on any roller or downhill, or even slight grade. When I spin it up it accelerates well, and I did average in the mid 20s (mph) for several miles today. It felt sooooo good to have the wind in my face again, flying down a country road in the velo.

Yesterday I rode it in a hard rainstorm, with the race cap on, and I was not feeling real comfortable. Today, I was able to punch it up, get good speed, hold it and feel confident. It felt great.

The big issues on this model are the rear shifting, and easy to remove top.

The top is amazing. I can now take the top off in just a few minutes, and have taken it on and off several times. There are 10 bolts, easy to reach, and two powerful magnets up front. To be even faster in the future, I plan on buying metric wing nuts. The bolts are set, you only need to twist off the nuts. It is a huge blessing to be able to remove the top so quickly. I hated that aspect of the quest. It was so hard to work on. Local bike shops wouldn't touch it, and I am not the best mechanic. This thing is a dream in that regard, and I believe it may be the best solution to access available in any velo. See the pics, with the top off, its easy.

I also really like the rear shifter. It is easy and intuitive to use. I see two main benefits, one, I like the access of all the rear cogs and shifting right under the seat, if you need to work on it, it is far easier than trying to work on some small panel in the back. This thing is WIDE open. See the pics.

The second benefit is rapid shifting. Let's say you going fast but approaching a traffic light. You don't know if you will get a green or red. With this shifter, you can downshift so quick, it is a real help. As fast as you twist, you can go from the small cogs to the largest cogs. You can also feel the shifts if you are just up or downshifting like normal. I really like this system. I consider it leading edge, and a great benefit.

Other items. The tiller is on a bungie that pulls or holds the tiller up. You don't notice it while riding, but entering or exiting the velo, the bungie holds the tiller up and out of the way. There does not appear to be room to 'tuck in the tiller" like the quest, but on the quest, this system wore off the foam on grips on the tiller.

It has no chain tubes. I am not sure about this, as I was a chain tube guy from way back...Over time, I will report on this more. Harry L deigned a chain tensioner and I will include a photo. The idlers are pretty noisy, and I plan on trying to reduce this noise by adding a plastic liner to the idler, or painting the idler with rubber, or buying some nice T-Cycle idlers. I know all velos are noisy, and I an not used to the noise with the time off, but I want to improve those things.
[DOUBLEPOST=1532365250][/DOUBLEPOST]und noch die Fortsetzung:

The chain cover is really nice. The sides have a 'wall' that curves up and holds you inventory of stuff on the sides in place and away from the gears.

I was worried about my feet fitting, there are no foot holes. I can report that while I can MAKE my toes or heels hit (size 48 SIDI dominators) normal pedaling is no problem.

Today I had to do a U Turn on a narrow county road. I sat up, and pulled on the left wheel to effect a 'reverse gear', and I was on my way. NP.

I am still waiting on my "do not touch" stickers.

The zippers broke on my old "velo bag", so I use on the left hand side.

The kayak cover will fit under the top, but I have not tried to ride with it stored there yet.

There are TWO braces in the rear. I really like the way they tie into the rear wheel cover, drive train, and seat support. It is well done. I must note though, with TWO braces there, the size of the objects you can store my be reduced. You can still pack a far amount back there (a lot less than quest-it is much shorter), but the size of the items you pack is important. I have not yet tried to commute to work, as I have a big hill, and I am not doing big hills yet due to my PCL sprain. I may decide to my big laptop (I like giant laptops, helps my clients see what I am pointing too) belongs up front beside me, instead in the back.

The rear wheel has 36 spokes on a 406. This looks bomb proof. I like that. I have not counted the front spokes.

It came with Shreddas all around.

I did get a race cap for being a super smart early adapter, and I have used it once, in a driving rain. I did not wear a helmet (I never go helmetless), but my helmets are so huge, it looked like a fit

I did get a race cap for being a super smart early adapter, and I have used it once, in a driving rain. I did not wear a helmet (I never go helmetless), but my helmets are so huge, it looked like a fit issue. I will be searching for a thinner, smaller helmet.

The windshield stayed where I put it, and I was able to adjust my ventilation just fine. The side openings are also nice. Some rain came in, as it was raining really hard. In summer that was no issue. I need to figure out what I am doing in a cold rain, I guess close up the windshield for starters. I cleaned with an anti-fog compound I found a race motorcycle shop.

Up front it is a 60x34. Shifting is fine, but I only expect to use the 34 on big hills.

There is NO issue with the small rear wheel size. The gearing to the drive wheel takes care of the gear inches, and even though I was used to a 26" rear wheel, you don't notice it all.

Zitat Ende

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Zurück
Oben Unten