Ventilation holes in carbon seat?

Hi :=)

I was wondering if is a good idea to make some holes in the carbon seat (for my C-Quest) to ventilation at the back a bit better/more comfortable. At the moment I'm sitting at a ventisit but could use a bit more airflow to ventilate my back.

Anyone having experiences in that area? (if yes please post picture beside you message)
- Ps. the seat stil have to hold 100kg...

Thanks...

Since the seats from velomobiel.nl are known to break relatively easily, I wouldn't recommend drilling holes if it will be loaded with 100 kg without reinforcement.
It's possible to adapt another seat into your Quest, however. A DF seat should manage some holes just fine and is designed for the same mounting type. The Milan seat is available in two vraiants: with and without holes. However you would have to adapt your Quest for the Seat as it transfers the weight on a flat surface and ist not suitable for the quest type of mount.
And you can always reinforce your original seat and then drill the holes inbetween the reinforcements.

Cheers,

Tim

hi @BcBaghjul !
it's obviously possible, here's the seat of dave lewis riding the transam bike race in a milan sl, he certainly knows if it's useful;) scroll down a little bit:
https://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/trans-america-bike-race-2018.51671/page-30
Thank for the tip @liegeratt - looks like a lot of holes....I think I have to try with less holes as @TimB B suggest if I'll give it a go.

Is the blue funnel i the picture for urine or other purpose?

@einrad: I was thinking about the possibility to use a funnel for the purpose because I've been thinking about participate in a 24 race next year and therefore nices to see it seams to work for others - of cause my one has to be much bigger ;=)

don't SinnerBikes use perforated seats as standard? Many pictures of mangos show seats with holes.

The seat of my Quest was so thick, it was no problem to drill a lot of holes! The extralight seat of the Evo K had to be reinforced a little for the holes.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi
my Mango and Quest saets are with holes.
So far no problems (70000km).
My df seat has no holes but I am sure it could handle a few.
Happy Drilling.
Thomas
20180613_085049.jpg 20180613_085117.jpg

@knightrider looks like a nice setup - I think I'll try something like that... What kind of weight are you putting on the seat? (just to take in consideration before drilling holes :=)

@Kraeuterbutter - The clearance height is okey but I think the exit hole only will be just below the floor of the velo.... I'll try look more into it this summer. If you find some useful information about solutions please let me know.

I started out with 8 holes in my seat (se picture) - test driving tomorrow....

I just noticed that the Trans AM driver have ventilation holes in the back of the velomobile as well. Will this be useful for commuter cycling? - my concern is mostly rain water entering thru the holes (picture is borrow from this youtube video -
)

Anhänge

• 20180613_131356.jpg
    20180613_131356.jpg
    200,6 KB · Aufrufe: 103
  • Unavngivet.jpg
    Unavngivet.jpg
    101,2 KB · Aufrufe: 99
I drilled quite some wholes into my Strada seat some years ago, see Der richtige Sitz im VM.
The stability did not suffer, but on the other side I did not feel a significant improvement concerning the cooling of my back.

@velodrom - Wow that's a lot of holes - like Swiss Cheese... Impressing that the stability didn't decline with that many holes. I wasn't looking for cooling but just hoping for a bit of ventilation lower the humidity of the back a little. Did you use a ventisit on top of the seat?

Yes, i also used the ventisit. I was also thinking about some ventilation mechanism, but couldn‘t figure out an easy solution. Meanwhile i simply accepted a wet back as a minor drawback of an exciting way of motion , and change clothes after every ride. This is the simplest solution for me .;)

You can close the back of the seat and connect it to a hose from the hole in the front. Works pretty good, but not on ascents when you need it the most and downhill it can be too cold.

You can close the back of the seat and connect it to a hose from the hole in the front. Works pretty good, but not on ascents when you need it the most and downhill it can be too cold.

@Felix - based on today's test drive I don't think I need more ventilation... but always nice to have ideas to improve if I change my mind later on :=)

Zurück
Oben Unten