Schaltwerk Sram X0 Feder gebrochen (war:Df is broken!)

It happened! Today the spring on the XO rear derailleur on my Df broke leaving me stuck in first gear. What is the normal thing to do now? New alternative, if so which one? Or can the spring be replaced with a steel one?

Es ist passiert! Heute ist die Feder am des XO-Schaltwerk meines Df gebrochen und ich habe den ersten Gang eingelegt. Was ist das Normale jetzt zu tun? Neue Alternative, wenn ja welche? Oder kann die Feder durch eine Stahlfeder ersetzt werden?

Buy a X5 and transplant the spring into your X0. That's what Daniel did on the 3w4f-trip.

Oder mit Ymte sprechen der weiss meistens eine Loesung, naemlich zu Sram schicken und Du bekommst ein Neues

Hi yes I remember meeting you, what a coincidence the springs breaking within a day! I like your repair, I didn't have anything suitable although I could have used cable ties to lock it in a better gear than 1st! I was 115km into a 300 brevet, I had to go back to the start point in 1st gear, max pedalling speed of 18km/h! I have my final PBP qualifying brevet (600km) next Saturday so need mine repaired for then.

I have just ordered an X5 (not a BMW) as a donor for the X0 as @andy suggested - thanks andy!

Off Topic
More coincidences: My 600 PBP qualifier is next week as well (starting Thursday evening). See you in Paris!

+1 for me.
As soon as you have taken out the derailleur, I strongly recommend to widen the borehole which guides the gear cable with a suitable center drill (Zentrierbohrer) on both ends. In its original state it bends the cable around quite a sharp edge, destroying it far before its possible end of life.

I would keep the rest of the X5 as a spare, for the X0 has more parts which like to loose the challenge of being suitable for a VM. Exactly the same happened to me, first the spring broke, then the rest of the X0 was mangled in the chain, now the reassembled X5 is to proove its robustness.

I will look at the guide hole, I did not not know it causes problems. I have had 2 gear cable failures due to the angle the cable takes over the guide channel, I used a Swiss round file and made a radius on this channel edge. The gear cable has not suffered damage for a long time now, although I always carry a spare cable anyway.

X5 arrived this morning, X0 is now repaired and the Df is on the road, thank you all that have helped with ideas and helpful suggestions.

Zurück
Oben Unten