Aus dem Leben eines EVO-R

Wenn ich dafür eine Lösung hätte, würde ich den Rest schaffen.
ein Pedelecmotor + ein Sackerl Lastwiderstände auf ein Kuchenblech geklemmt sollte doch einfach zu kriegen sein ;)
[DOUBLEPOST=1528387993][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wahrscheinlich minimal,
so viel Luftwiderstand wird das nicht sein. So nah an der Achse ist die Bahngeschwindigkeit ja nur noch etwa 1/8 der Fahrgeschwindigkeit.

Ihr denkt da zu groß. Pedelecmotor ist viel zu groß und schwer. Wenn es darum geht, bergab ein paar hundert Watt abzuleiten um die Hauptbremse zu entlasten, stelle ich mir einen kleinen, nur ca. 100g leichten Brushless Aussenläufer mit einem geringem KV vor, der vielleicht ca. 800W leisten und durch ein Getriebe beim bremsen auf hohe Drehzahlen gebracht wird und dabei Strom erzeugt. Den Strom leite ich in eine Supercap - Bank, die grade die Energie einer Bremsung zu speichern vermag und ab eines bestimmten Ladepotentials den Versorgungsakku mit kontrollierter Stromstärke nachlädt. Das Ganze soll dann komplett nicht mehr als 200g wiegen. Wenn es schwere wäre, wäre es Unsinn.
Ich bin davon überzeugt, dass das geht, nur die mechanischen Komponenten stellen für mich ein unüberwindbaren Hindernis dar.

Endlich waren wir, d.h. Ich (EVA) und er (DYNAMIK) wieder einmal auf Langfahrt, und zwar richtig. Dynamik hat alles einigermassen gut vorbereitet, denn es ging ja um ein richtiges Rennen. Oder gings nur um Nostalgie? Für Rennen hat Dynamik soviel ich weiss nicht viel übrig. Wen wunderts, er wäre ja ohnehin der letzte beim Zieleinlauf. War er übrigens auch bei diesem Rennen in seiner Kategorie. Er behauptet zwar immer er sei der Erste gewesen, aber das ist Ansichtssache. Leider habe ich seine Tagebuchnotizen erst jetzt gefunden, weshalb sie auch erst jetzt hier erscheinen.

Dijon, 13.09.18

Montalchez - Dijon

The Isle of Man is famous for cats without tails and for the TT motorbike races. The motorbike races (not the cats) were the reason that 44 years ago Karin and me set off to this famous island on our old BMW 500. Not to take part in the race itself but to watch others roaring with 100 mph through tiny villages. It's amazing what you do when you are young.

20180817_000222.jpg

Now, 44 years later (and hopefully a little bit wiser) I'm again on the way to the Isle of man. But this time for the IOM-CC, the cycle challenge. This year it's the first time that velomobiles are allowed to take part in this race. Being the only person in the category velomobile/veteran I'm bound to finish first in my category. Not a bad prospect.

To save me frustration already in the first hours, Karin drove me and my velomobile to the Col des Etroits near Ste. Croix. This is also the highest point of the entire journey. So it should be an easy run downhill until I reach the Atlantic shore. So far I've passed Salins-les-Bains (with a small lunch instead of a relaxing bath), stopped in Dôle (for cold chocolate instead of wine) and ended the day in Dijon (no mustard but they have a really wonderful historic center).

b2.JPG
Salins-les-Bains

b3.JPG
Historic center of Dijon

Seit der Langfahrt nach Süditalien meint Dynamik immer noch, Velomobilfahren sei Dahingleiten über eine endlose Ebene. Dabei sollte er über jeden Berg froh sein, denn das ist das Training, das er braucht für das Rennen auf der Isle of Man. Immerhin haben wir heute 150 km und 1000 m Höhe gutgemacht. Es ging aber auch 1250 m runter.

Brienne le Château, 14.9.18

Dijon - Brienne le Château

France is not only flat. Starting in Dijon at some 250 m, I had to climb three times up to almost 600 m. I started to doubt, wether I will ever make it to the Isle of Man. Sure the views from 600 m over the plains of Northern France are breathtaking, but with a small velomobile you may feel also a bit lost.

b4.JPG
The first "Mountain" after Dijon

After a good lunch in Chatillon-sur-Seine, I stopped at a petrol station to get some water. "C'est tout plat jusqu'à Troyes" said the lady at the counter. I was so glad about these good news, that I left her the change. But it was not really flat.

20 km before Troyes I headed towards Brienne-Le Château in the "Parc Naturel de la Foret d'Orient". Brienne-Le-Château is not exactly what one would asociate with this name. They have a castle, but it has been converted into a hospital. Napoleon has been here three times. The first time from 1779 to 1784 at the military academy, where they mocked him for his humble origins and his Corsican accent. The second time in 1805 on the way to Italy where he was crowned, in order to revisit the place, where he had spent part of his youth. But the academy had already been demolished. The third time in 1814 when he had to fight against 100'000 Russian and Austrian sodiers. After that he had to abdicate and go to exile.

Nevertheless, I had a wonderful evening meal that will sustain me for the greater part of the next day.

b5.JPG

Das ist schon richtig, bergrunter ist fast schon wie Fliegen. Aber Dynamik weiss ja wie das geht mit dem Fliegen. Muss man nicht zweimal haben. Uebrigens dank mir ist er heute zu einem Glässchen bestem Wein eingeladen worden. Schönheit bringt's!

Laon, 16.9.18

Brienne-Le-Château - Laon

Leaving Brienne this morning it was quite cold. But inside of my velomobile it was - after a few kilometers - nice and warm. This is due to my "personal central heating". I made good progress as the terrain was rather flat and the tarmac smooth.

After Châlons-en-Champagne I made a small detour through the "Parc naturel de la Montagne de Reims". It was really worth it, just a bit on the steep side. But with a velomobile you get all the energy, you put in on the ascent, back on the descent part. So I almost flew down the Montagne de Reims into the City of Reims with its beautiful cathedral.

b6.JPG
Climbing ther montagne de Reims where the Champagne grows

b7.JPG

Reims Cathedral

After a café, a crêpe and the compulsary bottle of water I carried on towards Laon. Laon is certainly one of the most beautiful towns of France. It has been - according to a knowledgeable motorbike driver - the capital of France round 1200 (Merowingian kings). Unfortunately they have buildt it on a rather high rock outcrop. And as I wanted to have my hotel in the Old Town, I had to climb these 150 m with my velomobile. But to no avail. All hotels up there were booked out and I had to content myself with the hotel Tramway at the foot of the rock.

But the evening meal at least had to be in the Old Town, which meant to climb again the 150 m by foot to reach the illuminated Cathedral and the restaurant in front of it. "Ca va détendre vos muscles" said the charming lady of the hotel Tramway. I personally would have preferred to use the historic Tramway, but it was out of order. I should mention that the hotel Tramway prooved to be a good choice. Not only the room was nice but the owner, on coming back from my climb to the Cathedral, invited me to a glas of Rosé in the hotel garden. He wanted to know everything about my velomobile but I guess he will stick to his Triumph Rocket III motorbike with 2300 cc.

b8.JPG
Laon Cathedral

Alles läuft perfekt, schönstes Wetter, kein Materialschaden, kein Plattfuss und nicht einmal nachpumpen musste Dynamik bis jetzt. Und dank mir erhält Dynamik auch genügend Aufmerksamkeit. Das ist wichtig, wenn man alleine reist.

Kortrijk, 16.9.18

Laon - Kortrijk

Never trust a motorbike driver in history matters. I've got the information about Laon having been the capital of France under Merowingan kings untill 1200 from the proprietar of the hotel Tramway in Laon and proud owner of a Triumph Rocket III. Must be a hairy biest this bike. It's true that Laon has been the capital of France, but it was under Karolingan ruling and between 800 and 1000. Many other cities have shared this questionable honor as for instance Tournai in Belgium, where I had a beer this afternoon and where I made the picture of the big tower with the tiny velomobile below. The French, profiting on the weakeness of the Roman empire, declared Tournay the city of the France in 495. And it's still an impressive town.

b10.JPG
Belfry of Tournai

From Tournai to Kortrijk my navigation system misguided me onto a bicycle way. These bicycle path are certainly picturesque but also a pain in the neck (to put it poloitely). And at the end they even have an "End of Motorway" sign.

b9.JPG
End of motorway

Kortrijk, my destination for today, is a marvel in every sense. I stopped my velomobile on the main square and before I could get out a lady fotographer bombarded me with hundreds of questions about my velomobile and my journey. After having taken shots from all angles she said: "I like the way you do silly things in such a nice way."

Wie immer hat Dynamik nichts vorgebucht, weder Fährticket noch Kabine. Die Ueberfahrt nach Hull dauert doch immerhin 16 Stunden. Zum Glück gelte ich als Fahrrad, denn so bekommt er meistens noch ein Ticket, auch wenn die Fähre schon voll ist.

Zeebrügge, 17.9.18

Kortrijk - Zeebrügge

Belgium is the ideal velomobile country. No mountains and perfect bicycle lanes. Sometimes you have to stop quite unexpectedly because they are just turning a bridge to let a ship pass. Luckily I refrained from passing under the barrier in the last moment.

b11.JPG
Turning bridge in Brügge

The 62 km from Kortrijk to Zeebrügge were quite easy, but I still had to overcome one obstacle: I needed a ferry ticked but haven't booked in advance. Would they have a spare cabin for me and a small place for my brave velomobile? All my worries were in vain. At this time of the year they have plenty of room.

b12.JPG
EVA waitung for the ferry

The lady at the port coffee shop was so enthusiastic about my velomobil that I let her do a few rounds in the harbour premises. She was really good at it but at the end she asked a bit frightened: "Now, how do I get out of it?"

b13.JPG
EVA with other two- and three-wheelers on the ferry

Heute wurde es kmapp. Das kommt davon, wenn man nicht vorausplant. Fast hätte es Uebernachtung im Freien gegeben. Aber Dynamik wird nichts daruas lernen.

Leeds, 19.9.18

Hull - Leeds

This day started not only with a blue sky but also with a blue cloud. Beeing parked on the ship behind some 50 vintage Lambretta scooters brings you this treat. A Lambretta has to be kick-started well ahead of time as you don't know wether it is in a good mood. And if it starts, don't switch it off. It won't start again. But I shouldn't complain, my old BMW was not much better.

b17.JPG
Starting 50 Vintage-Lambretta in a ship hull creates quite a poisonous athmosphere

After leaving the rather ugly port area I followed small country roads and reached the lovely town of Howden just right for a good lunch in the "Cheese Shop" beside the church. The church has halfways fallen apart which gives it a rather romantic touch.

b14.JPG

20 km before Leeds I decided to take the bicycle path, which leads through an area of swamps, lakes and canals. A real treat for the eyes but not so much for my poor velomobile. I had to ride really slowly in order to save the tires and the suspension.

b15.JPG
Bicycle path, about 10 km East of Leeds

No wonder that I reached Leeds a bit late and all hotel rooms were already taken. After having checked out 10 hotels I gave up. What now? The best thing to do in these moments is to postpone the solution of the impossible and get a decent meal. Luckily dear Karin phoned and upon hearing that in whole Leeds not a single bed can be found she said: "Just try B&B, you are in England". And it worked.

Dass wir uns überhaupt auf den Weg zur Isle of Man gemacht haben, ist einem gutn Zufall zu verdanken, denn ursprünglich war die Pacifik-Küste auf dem Plan. Aber Ende Juni war das Transportproblem für mich immer noch nicht gelöst und da ist Dynamik eher zufällig auf die Website von Isle-of-Man CC gestossen und sieht, dass dieses Jahr erstmals auch Velomobile zugelassen sind. Die PacifikKüste rennt nicht davon, meint Dynamik und meldet uns sofort beim IOM-CC an. Zwei Tage später figurieren wir in der Rider's List, allerdings im Team der "Blazing Saddles". Begreiflich, dass Dynamik damit nicht einverstanden war. Er komme mit einem Velomobil und nicht mit dem Team "Bleeding Saddles". Schnell wird die Liste angepasst aber nun erscheint Dynamk unter den Frauen, was ihm auch nicht behagt. Laura Mears, die das gaze Event grandios organisiert hat, schreibt zurück:"Thank you for your very funny email and I am so sorry that your saddle is seeping and you have had an involuntary sex change. We will fix it tomorrow." Nun figuriert Dynamik unter den Veteranen in der Gruppe Velomobile.

Heysham, 20.9.18

Leeds - Heysham

For today they have predicted a storm. Trees have been uprooted and ferries and flights have been cancelled (as I've heard at the end of the day) but in my velomobile I didn't notice too much. The first 20 km I followed the bicycle path from Leeds to Shipley, a very picturesque path along the Aire canal, but progress was very slow.

I swapped to a larger road that developped into a dual carriagway. Here the progress was much better but I wasn't quite sure wether this was legal for velomobiles. Taking the next exit I followed again my navigation system for bicycles, only to end up on tiny rural lanes and that took me over the loveliest but also steepest mountain ridges. And here I felt that there was a storm going on. Branches were scattered on the road and the crosswinds were so strong, that I didn't dare to go faster than 30 kmh on the downhill. The headwind however didn't slow me down too much.

b18.JPG

b19.JPG
Dark clouds and sunny spots changed intermittently and inbetween it poored down. The rain didn't bother me too much as I was well protected in my velomobile. Toward 6 o'clock I reached the ferry harbour of Heysham where I met two gentleman who were booked on the Liverpool ferry but had to drive to Heysham as the Liverpool ferry couldn't run. Let's hope for the best that there is a ferry available to reach the Isle of Man in time.

b20.JPG

Nun bin ICH wieder mal zum Zug gekommen. Im Hotel Clifton durfte ich im Tanzsaal übernachten und am nächsten Morgen konnte Dynamik erst losfahren, nachdem die Dame des Hotels in mir Platz genommen hatte und genügend Fotos geschossen worden sind. Dafür war der Abschluss des Tages etwas anstrengender. Ganze zwei Stunden im strömenden Regen, so eine Zumutung. Reiner Zufall, dass wir ganz im Sulby Glen Hotel angekommen sind. Dynamik wird wohl in ein Blindlandesystem investieren müssen.

Sulby, 20.9.18

Heysham - Sulby (IOM)

b24.JPG
Leaving my hotel in Heysham

We, i.e. my velomobile and me, have reached today the Isle of Man after 1000 km. The last few kilometers however proved to be the most difficult ones. Due to the storm I coudn't book the ferry for Thursday so I bought a ticket for Friday. With this ticket I went this morning to the ferry port, hoping that there is still a small place for me and my velomobile. And really they were very helpful und allowed me to go onto the Thursday-Ferry. This gives me an extra day to explore the island.

b21.JPG
I didn't know that sitting in a velomobile is the dream of so many a young lady

18:30 the ferry landed in Douglas and it was pouring down. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to book the romantic Hotel Sulby Glen at the other end of the island. For it meant another 35 km under rather unpleasant conditions. Never mind, I have had 1000 km of sunshine so I should also accept a few drops of rain. The visibility was reduced due to rain and increasing darkness and what normally would have taken one hour took me now two hours. And those two hours really seemed endless. At nine o'clock I reached the Sulby Glen Hotel safely. And here I didn't only get a very nice room but also a wonderful evening meal, inspite of the late hour.

b22.JPG
The romantic hotel "Sulby Glen"

An sich war für heute eine Trainingsrunde vorgesehen. Einmal die TT-Strccke abfahren wäre doch nicht schlecht, meinte Dynamik. Viel wurde nicht draus. die Bergstrecke war heute noch gesperrt und dann gab es noch so vieles auf dieser schönen Insel.

Sulby, 21.9.18

Getting ready for the race

Island weather is tricky. If the sun comes out you have to jump on or (if you have a velomobile) in your bike. You never know how long it lasts. I almost made it from Sulby to Douglas in bright sunshine. When the rain set in heavily I was already in a dry place with chocolate and cake. This is important for proper preparation of a race. The hors drawing the tramway just outside the café was not so lucky. I hope it doesn't mind too much the rain.

b25.JPG
Horse-drawn tramway in douglas

Douglas is a lively and colourful city. The promenade along the seafront with the sculptured 19. century facades, the gardens and the cafés are a dream. But the sun must be switched on. In grey windy weather the pleasure is somehow limited. I had both, sun and rain, and therefore good reason to test all the cakes they have on display. And they are really delicious.

The Isle of Man has once been a very prestigeous holyday destination. In 1913 a total of 663 000 guests spent their holiday on this island. Postcards praise not only the wonderful landscape but also other amenities:"You can do here a lot of things you can'tdo at home."

b27.JPG
Wonderful garden in Douglas

At the TT-Grandstand I met charming Laura Mears, the good soul of the IOM-CC. What an incredible task to organise such an event. Actually I came only to make sure, that I start at the right location, but the time keping expert (lukily also present at the moment) realised, that tracking a velomobile won't be easy. We will now stick the number with the electronic circuit on the perspex canopy. On the carbon shell it would not work. Life is not easy.

In the next spell of bright sunshine I made it from Douglas to Peel with its impressive castle, stopped for a cream tea with scones while it was pouring down and continued in bright sunshine to Sulby for a tasty evening meal in the Sulby Glen Hotel.

b28.JPG
Riding back from Peel to Sulby in bright sunshine

@Dynamik
Großes Kompliment an Deinen Reisebericht! Es ist richtig schön, Dir zu folgen und mitzureisen. Dein Sprachwitz macht großen Spaß! Ich wäre gern dabei gewesen.
Grüße Ivo

Heute war mein grosser Tag. Dynamik behauptet zwar immer, dass er der erste in seiner Gruppe gewesen sei. Das stimmt schon, aber er war auch der letzte in seiner Gruppe. Ist doch toll, wenn jeder Teilnehmer seine eigene Gruppe hat. Aber ICH war die Schönste von allen. Wurde zwar nicht bewertet aber alle haben es gesehen.

upload_2018-9-22_15-2-18_resized.png

Sulby, 22.9.18

The day of the race

It was an early start today. As I was so ingenous to chose my hotel at the far end of the island, I had to cover 35 km to reach the starting point, the Grand Stand of the Isle of Man TT. At least I was warm when I got there. The riders started in three groups, first those who have opted for three laps, then the two laps and finally those who didn't need to make the circuit more than one time. I was in the third group.

b41.JPG
b42.JPG

b36.JPG
Start of the third group

Everything was perfectly organized. The weather was fine and the start was smooth and civilized. On the road you had the impression that these groups of cyclists are on an outing, having a good time. The course was quite flat in the beginning but after 10 km the first steep part begun. That's where I could watch all these colourful garments passing by on my right side. Then came a section with a nice descent. There I could see the same garments falling behind on my left side. I was cruising at a speed of some 50 km/h when suddenly an orange object appeared in my mirror and whizzed by not to be seen again. That was Ian Perry in his DF doing already his second lap.

b32.JPG
Ian Perry in his DF

After Ramsey (km 36) I had to resort to the smallest gear. The road climbed quite steeply from 50 to 450 m. Never mind, I don't have to rush it. With my gearing, 38 in front and 42 in the rear, the grade was manageable. Behind me Nr. 121 was closing up. We have passed each other several times. Jokingly he shouted:"He's cheating, he's not pedalling, he's eating bananas." With the bananas he was right. What else can you do on a uphill section to make the time pass. Slowly the summit came closer and then the big descent started. For 15 km it was only downhill. Not too steep, just right to let it run without too much of braking. But of course I had to use the brakes. I don't dare to let it run faster than 60 km/h. Above 60 km/h EVA gets somehow nervous and me too. And then I passed the finish line and the race was over.

b33.JPG
The big descent starts

As expected, I was the first in my group as there was only one person in the category velomobile / veterans. The 60 km took me just about 3 hours, which gives an avearage speed of 20 km/h. But Ian Perry with his orange DF did the three laps in 6 hours. And this gives an incredible average speed of 30 km/h on 180 km. Neil Fleming in his yellow Quest did two laps, i.e. 120 km at an average speed of 26 km/h.

b40.JPG
Neil Fleming in his yellow Quest

Ich bin wirklich stolz auf DYNAMIK. Aber ohne mich hätte er es nie in die BBC News geschafft. Er war nämlich gar nicht besonders schnell, ausser bergab natürlich.

Liverpool, 23.9.18

Good bye Isle of Man

One of the best inventions of England is certainly the English Breakfast. And in my romantic Hotel Sulby Glen it was especially good. I will need all these calories on my way home to Switzerland. For the last time I crossed the island to reach Douglas and the ferry boat. On the way from Sulby to Peel and futher on to Douglas I noticed a change. Everywhere poeple waved when I passed by and on one occasion a young woman, with her four year old daughter, asked, what this little car, I'm sitting in, is. As I explained her, that this is a velomobile, she exclaimed: "Oh, then my daughter was right. She saw you on TV."

Later I found out, that my velomobile made it also into the BBC News:

b45.JPG b46.JPG b47.JPG

At 3 o'clock, after EVA has been stored safely, the ferry left Douglas and the harbour promenade with the white hotel fassades dissapeared in the distance. The Isle of Man has certainly changed a bit in the last 44 years but so many things, it seems to me, are still exactly the same as 44 years ago. And that's what makes this Island so precious.

b43.JPG
Douglas harbour promenade with the white hotel fassades

Liverpool, a modern city with concrete and glas buildings, with four lane roundabouts and congested roads, was quite a challenge after the peaceful days on the Isle of Man. But also here you can find a quiet corner like the hotel in Sefton Park, where I stay tonight.

b44.JPG
Romantic Hotel in Sefton Park, Liverpool

Zurück
Oben Unten