Velomo HiTrike Pi

Feddy
Skis are generally hollow' at least in their center portion. They consist of an upper and lower layer linked by a honeycomb type of stuff, sometimes light wood.
You might want to look for short skis. That would increase the chances that you end up cutting the section where both layers meet.
And they are assymetric. The rear end is much shorter. The stiffness might not be the same there.
But it would be worth a try.

Hello Rob,

thanks for the link, it works fine, looking into your album right now. (y)

What I saw on the first look is very interesting!

Best regards
Wolf

I thought he was attacking my response to you (in english) cynically
Not at all! My post refered to Rob's initial one, saying nothing else, that non-constructive criticism (in most cases expressed from people with low practical experience) should not discourage him from doing his project.
@Freddyflatfoot : Seems you have already build up extensive experiences. We all are looking forward your photo -documentation here excitedly:D

regards,

Christoph

Well, I have just been and picked up 3 sets of used skis! All for a measly AU$2o! I had a quick look at them, and tried bouncing on them. They are indeed of varying 'springiness', varying from a lightweight set, to a heavier set that basically doesn't move much at all when bouncing with my full weight! After looking at them, it appears the best way to go, is basically use the thick centre where the bindings attach. and discard the rest. My first thought is to use the heavier one on the bottom, and one of the lighter ones for the top leaf. As the top leaf will be shorter, slightly less flex shouldn't be an issue. They do vary in thickness a bit, but the width appears to be constant amongst all 3 sets. I am feeling very confident and excited about this project! For a bit of reference, the track on my trike is circa 730mm with around 5 degrees of negative camber. I'd be surprised if I get the 3-4cm of suspension movement that the Velomo Pi gets! I am thinking it may even be less, depending on how I mix my 'leafs' up. I am only looking at 250mm max from kingpin to the centre of my boom. So will be only ~230mm or less from where I'll clamp the leafs. Anyway, time to sleep on it!

I bought another set of skis today, but they are really heavy duty! so pretty sure I wont be using them. I tested the springiness again today, with supports at 50cm, which is roughly the dimension of my king pins. The lightweight skis had the most movement, and when I paired them up, it actually fairly solid. My thoughts at this stage is to make up a set of leafs from the lightweight pair of skis, and see how we go. I suspect that they will provide the best compliant ride. They are still fairly thick, around 15mm at the thickest point, to 13.5mm at the 250mm mark from centre. I will need to be careful to make sure I get the centre of the ski! They are only 62mm wide, so I suspect a little narrower than the Pi? If the initial experiment shows the suspension to be too soft, at least I know I have a lot more options to firm things up! I am thinking that I may have to seal the ends of the skis where I have cut them. Any thoughts on whether I need to do this or not? Cheers!

Whether you need to seal them depends on what you find inside. If they have a wooden core then definitely yes. In any case it can't hurt.

Servus,

bitte halbwegs beim Thema bleiben, sonst wirds hier schnell unübersichtlich :)

Gruß,
Patrick

Thanks Gear7Lover! Wondered what that comment in German was!
Sorry Patrick, not meaning to Hijack your thread, but needed to start somewhere. I'll see how I go navigating my way through this forum.
BTW Patrick, I love your concept, so simple, and I love simple! I hope I can do your design proud, by replicating it in some fashion! Any guidance/input you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Servus,

seit Anfang der Woche läuft die Serienproduktion der PI-Trikes wieder an. Nach dem vorfertigen der Einzelteile, sind heute die ersten 3 Hauptrahmen fertig geworden. Es folgen insgesamt noch 13, dann ist diese Serie für die Session aufgebraucht (Kein weiteres Rahmenmaterial mehr vorhanden). Somit: Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm.. Mit div. Detailverbesserungen, die wir durch die Tests mit der Nullserie entwickelt haben.
Diese beziehen sich hauptsächlich auf die Befestigung der hinteren Umlenkrolle, sowie einem vereinfachten Schwingenlager (leichter wartbar, weniger schmutzanfällig, ca. 30g leichter) und eine ca 4cm nach vorn verlegte Vorderachse.
Der Rest hat sich als solide und funktionell herausgestellt.

DSC_1041.jpg

Zudem hat heute das leichteste Trike der Welt seine Jungfernfahrt absolviert.. Morgen kommt der erste Testfahrer, anfang kommender Woche wird der zukünftige Besitzer sein Baby in Empfang nehmen.
Das Rad wird anschau und anhebbar auf der Spezi bei Gingko-Spezialradteile stehen und wird vorher von Joggl hier im Forum vorgestellt.
Eins vorweg: Es wiegt keine 11kg, ist vollgefedert und es ist keinerlei Carbon verbaut (Ausnahme Sitz).

Gruß,
Patrick

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hallo Patrick,

bis auf dass das Bildchen auf einen toten Link verweist (der Link funktioniert nicht), sehr gut. (y)

Edit: Nun funktioniert der Link (und auch die Großansicht). :)

Viele Grüße
Wolf

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Gibt es inzwischen einen real existierenden Untenlenker? Wenn ja, wird ein damit ausgerüstetes HiTrike auf der Spezi zu sehen und zu testen sein?

Servus,

klar gibt es einen, das Rad steht in Belgien. Wegen der Entfernung, hat es leider recht lang gedauert um die FEinanpassung des Lenkgestänges vorzunehmen, aber es sollte nun keine Probleme mehr geben.
Auf der Spezi werden wir wohl auch einen vorstellen. Aber nicht am Pi, sondern wohl am GT.

Gruß,
Patrick

Zudem hat heute das leichteste Trike der Welt seine Jungfernfahrt absolviert.. Morgen kommt der erste Testfahrer, anfang kommender Woche wird der zukünftige Besitzer sein Baby in Empfang nehmen.
Das Rad wird anschau und anhebbar auf der Spezi bei Gingko-Spezialradteile stehen und wird vorher von Joggl hier im Forum vorgestellt.
Eins vorweg: Es wiegt keine 11kg, ist vollgefedert und es ist keinerlei Carbon verbaut (Ausnahme Sitz).

Gruß,
Patrick

Testfahrer, genau, ich war heute in Weida :D

Ich durfte es nicht nur anschauen, ich durfte es fahren!! Daher viiiiiiiielen Dank an Joggl der erlaubte das ich es vor ihm fahren durfte, ich war auch wirklich ganz ganz vorsichtig.

Wie ist das Rad nun...........was soll ich sagen, ich gehe gerade rüber ins Wartezimmer um meinen Traum auf drei Rädern zu erwarten :) alles andere erzählt Euch Joggl viel besser als ich wenn er es in Empfang genommen hat.

Dann ist es doch leicht genug, um noch eine Lage Sichtcarbon drumzuwickeln.

Um Stahl? Wie, auf die Pulverbeschichtung? Wenn auf blankes Metall, rostet er vor sich hin, schaut aber schön aus. Irgendwie nicht so sinnvoll, was meinst Du?

Nicht, dass ich dies nicht auch schon mal in Betracht gezogen hätte, aber Stahl einzulaminieren mit Kohlefaser und einem sich differenziert ausdehnendem Epoxid, ich weiss nicht.

Viele Grüße
Wolf

Dachte ich mir, der Gedanke mit der Echtcarbonbeschichtung ist mir jedoch auch schon gekommen. Also nicht als Scherz. :D

Dachte, Du kennst vielleicht einen Kombinationsweg, welcher a) hält, b) korrosionsgeschützt ist und c) gut ausschaut. GFK-Zwischenlage würde vor Korrosion schützen, aber ob das Zeug auf beschichtetem Stahl klebt..

Viele Grüße
Wolf

Zurück
Oben Unten