Agilo velomobile

I have a much smaller Wood velomobile, with an central air intake, a bit like the DF with a 50mm round tube. When the temperature is below about 10celcius, i stuff that hole up. It gets to cold otherwise, the cold air exits on the lower body. I ride without e assist. When its cold, my body heat is enough to fog up the visor. When i ride with a cover over the entry hole that is less of a problem. When riding with higher speed and the air intake open, the screen stays clean. When u hit a hill and speed drops, air intake gets less, and power (sweating) is higher, it starts to fog up at some point. If there is a stop then, at the top of the hill, fogging up is guaranteed.

I had a hood, but i did not like the small space inside and blindspot. With the hood in humid conditions, like when its lightly raining or just dense fog, it gets very humid inside. Riding without the fully closed hood, just a hatch, i have the feeling i stay dry better than with the hood on.

I think the air exit "suction" Bodo designed realy works. The Milan and Daniels latest creation have exit holes at the tailend, that work similarly.

Having a wood shell does provide a bit different inner climate. Even when it's 40celsius outside, it stays relativly cool to the touch. When its cold outside, it's relativly warm to the touch. It just gives a different feel, but it does not work miracles. The Insulative values of the 1,5 mm of mine, or the 3mm of the Agilo is not zero, but it's not that high.

This provides a small difference with Velomobiles made of artifical fibers, but it won't be much. The air exit strategie probably has more influence.
When the difference between inside and outside gets big enough, it fogs up, and or gets realy humid inside. Riding with to much clothes on makes u sweat more. I think its probably a bit different from the CFK/GFK velomobiles but only by some percent.

So what did Agilo get for Christmas?

los-reyes.jpg

Waiting on Gocycle tyres, tubes and veloplugs (yellow, not red...). Kinlin DDT32 406mm Disc 32 holes, 2mm spokes and Ginkgo highend 90 mm brakes. I drilled the valve holes out to fit AV valve stems.

Today Stronglight 56/42 chainrings arrived and I mounted them to the cheap Chinese 130BCD from the parts box. It was very nice to see once again* a part with "made in St Etienne, France" on the packaging! I will most probably replace the 130BCD spider with one from PreciAlps next month.

*Saint Etienne is the historic bicycle manufacturing city of France

für Agilo No 1 (mein Langzeitprojekt), habe ich 4 Platten 4mm Albasia geholt.
wie machst du denn das, die pläne sind ja für 3mm. gemacht.
rechnest du das alles um oder machst du kommplet neue pläne ?
ich vertue mich ja schon beim vogelhäuschen wenn die plähne für 18mm. sind und das hloz 22mm. ist.

18 nach 22 ist schon mehr, als 3 nach 4, albasia kann man gut schleifen, und ja, einiges soll anders werden. Das ist ja das Schöne an Pläne: Die kannst noch individuell machen.

A Christmas story:

Remember this https://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/agilo-velomobile.58946/post-1380913 ? Well a forum member (who wishes to remain anonymous) sent me a PM saying basically "Drop the Alfine 11 idea you are wasting your time, I am going to send you the money for a Speedhub" :eek: What? Are you crazy? And of course I refused.

After several more PM I accepted that the the forum member send me a Speedhub, and today it arrived. A little late for Christmas and for Los Reyes but still in the spirit of the festive season.

FAQ:

Have you recovered from the initial shock?

No...

What do you think of the velomobilforum and its members?

Only nice things! You gals 'n guys have all been great during the Agilo build adventure, thanks to you all! And special thanks to those who like the anonymous member have provided extra help and solutions along the way. You know who you are. ;)

So the wheel building stand is out again. And soon no more complaining about the huge jump from 5th to 6th gear and not having a low enough low for the local hills even with the 42T chainring. As for efficiency I have modified the test diagram you all know:

Gearbox-Efficiency-Testing-01.jpg
Of course you can feel the drop in efficiency of >5% between 5th and 7th gear, the motor is off. You can't feel it when the motor is assisting you in the lower gears but the battery will.

So I am expecting more comfort with 2 or 3 km/h higher average speed in the 30-35 km/h area and less Wh drawn from the battery when the motor is assisting. I also think that the motor will never have reason to get warm ever again...

Emotions put to one side, the wheel is in the truing stand and most of the slack has been taken up.

1. know when to stop, I started feeling a little tired so that is it for today
2. lesson learned, double butted spokes are easier to install than 2 mm standard spokes. So far I have used Sapin Leader spokes to economise a few € but the more expensive Race so far are very nice to work with
3. the 3 all black wheels with silver colour spoke nipples are going to look very nice :giggle: (All Black wheels, silver fern national plant, kiwi driver, get it? :LOL: )

Where Rohloff beat Shimano hands down is the gear change mechanism and in my case quick release skewer mounting. The external change mechanism and the anti rotation mount just breath quality and no need to carry a spanner to remove the rear wheel! If only they had made a click shifter, us old guys with arthritis do not like twist grips! Lucky me, I only suffer from my hands when it is freezing.

I still don't understand what just happened here... :unsure: I am building a Rohloff wheel? Me? :eek:

Zurück
Oben Unten