Peer Gynt liegerad vorne Frage

S

skypix

I'm riding a Peer Gynt long wheelbase bike in Hamburg but I'm having trouble finding the right tire for the front wheel.

I have Magura hydraulic brakes and I would like to keep the same rim, which is stamped
20 x 1 3/8. The tire is a 28-440 (500x28A) iso 200

Can anyone tell me what is the right tire? I have not found a tire of that size online, the bike shops do not know, and I do not want to buy the wrong tire.

Thanks for his help!
Jim
[DOUBLEPOST=1497905569][/DOUBLEPOST]bump

Hi skypix,

Unfortunately the size ETRTO 440 has practically died out. Maybe some guys here in the forum still have some old tires in that size for you or you can check if there is a solution to put in a different fork for ETRTO 406 or ETRTO 451 Greetings HFKLR

I had the same problem. But it is possible to change to a 406 wheel. You have to change the Break. Some pictures for you.20170620_102119.jpg 20170620_102113.jpg 20170620_102128.jpg
I think thats the easyest way to change the wheelsize. The break works like before.
Greetings Ray

I should ask my cycle dealer. Some weeks ago he told me there still are some produced, but I forgot the brand. I will ask him again and post here. I want to keep the original size of the front wheel on my Radius Dino as long as possible: Looks a lot better.

Thank you! Very helpful, thank you.

Delli, I have Magura hydraulic brakes. Are you saying you
[DOUBLEPOST=1497951803][/DOUBLEPOST]oops...delli, I have Magura hydraulics, can they not be adjusted for a different rim? The rim I have is exactly 25mm.

Also thank you Troubadix, yes, please, that would be great.

Thank you Christoph, they have a 28-440 there, I will call them.

Thank you HFKLR. Where would I go to find a new fork? Maybe the people in Muenster who still do some Radius parts will know.

Vielen Dank Alle!

The problem of 440 is finding good quality tyres and rims
If you want to keep the bike for longer, you should look for a 406 wheel and a longer mount for the magura break.
They are called Magura U- Buegel and are made in different sizes. (A-E) I have given mine to a friend with a peer gynt years ago and I thought Size E maybe D was the right one.
On ebay you can still find them. And also somebody which produces a remake. (You have to ask for the right size)
The mount should be placed behind the fork and not before, to avoid bending of the aluminium.

best regards
Jaap

@skypix , @delli , @christoph_d , @jaap1969, @HFKLR
O.K., I just asked at my bicycles outlet:
The Michelin City J tire is still available in 440mm diameter. One costs about 13,00 €uro and is sold as a tire for children´s bikes. I guess the "J" stands for "junior".
As the front tire on my Radius Dino LWB is getting brittle, I just ordered one. I will tell you about my impressions.
BTW: I got a set of Michelin City 406 as front tires of my Leiba X-Stream: Good all-rounders for road use, low drag, fairly puncture resistant.

Cheers, Martin

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Thank you Jaap and Troubadix:

Jaap thanks for the suggestion, probably not the way I want to go for now. I only have the bike to ride for another 2 weeks, then back to the US for several months.
Thanks Martin, I'll see if I can find that Michelin City J. Can you tell me who your supplier is?

Also, can anyone tell me if I'm right, that a 37-440 won't fit a 28-440 rim? The rim is 25mm in width, outside to outside of rims.

If this is a hooked rim, I don't see why this shouldn't fit.
With 25mm outside width, the rim probably has 19mm inside width, and according to >this table< found on Schwalbe's Website, anything from 28mm to 62mm should be OK. Although I like to stay below a 2.5:1 ratio for tyre width to rim width.

Hi Skypix

I realise this is an old thread but I am having the same problem - I need to replace a 28-440 (500x28a) tyre on my recumbent. I can’t find one anywhere.

Did you have any success? I have tried a 35-440 but there is not enough clearance.

Replacing the rim with a 406 will get to be very involved as the brake mounting bosses will need to be lowered or the Magura calipers will be in the wrong location.

Any advice would be appreciated…

Hi @Jenky ,
I think the only solution is to get yourself a 406 fork and to somehow find a way how to attach a joint of some kind. I got the same problem with my Radius recumbents and I wonder if a high quality pipe clamp could be used.
Cheers, Martin

451 rim and 451-28 tyre (e. g. Schwalbe One) fits tightly without modification except perhaps at the fender. Hence a more sportive option.

451 rim and 451-28 tyre (e. g. Schwalbe One) fits tightly without modification except perhaps at the fender. Hence a more sportive option.
How do you deal with the brakes then? - Probably some Magura HS22 or similar? Do the brake pads still touch the rims?
451 rims are 11 mm larger in diameter than 440 sized ones.
(Writing in English so @Jenky can follow our discussion.)

How do you deal with the brakes then? - Probably some Magura HS22 or similar? Do the brake pads still touch the rims?
451 rims are 11 mm larger in diameter than 440 sized ones.
No problem at least at my PG. It is the original Magura with the old U-shaped mounting. With my 440 rims there ist still ~5 mm adjustment towards larger rim diameter left and fits perfectly with 451 rims (self tested). More crutial ist the rim width. Should not be less than 22 mm or so.

Zurück
Oben Unten