EuroTour 2013 Status, 5/27/12

Statistics

Days until Start; 420
Riders; 101
Volunteers; 6
Total participants; 106
Countries represented; 15
Models of velomobiles on tour; 34

As you can see from the statistics, we now have 101 riders and 6 SAG crew that will be participating in the EuroTour 2013. I think it will soon be time to plan how we are going to keep our impact on the towns and villages we pass through to a minimum. We may have to camp in two locations each night. I need to get more input from the locals in each country to know how we can best be able to accommodate 106 campers nightly.

Sponsorship

We have not started our big push for sponsors yet but there are already three sets of active inquiries in progress;

Heike Bunte has been wonderful about donating her time to represent the tour to the Mayor of Leer, Germany. The Mayor will be doing what he can to persuade his local shipping companies to provide shipping for the North American velomobiles to and from the event. The possibility of accommodations in Leer has also been mentioned.

One of our riders works at a satellite communications company and is actively pursuing the possibility of sponsorship from his company.

I recently had lunch with the regional sales manager of the enterprise tape backup company that we do business with. During the meal, the tour was mentioned and his first words after seeing pictures of velomobiles were “wouldn’t our logo look so cool on one of those!” “Well, that can be arranged” says I. He promised to talk to the president of the company during a retreat this week.

Volunteers

Tour Photographer:
Klaus Binder, one of our Swiss riders, has volunteered to be the Tour Photographer. His fine work can be seen on his blog.

Sponsorship team:
At the moment, the sponsorship team consists of Sean Havins (me), Luc Fournier and Steve Wood. We are working on brainstorming ideas to target and approach sponsors. First we need to finish a projected budget for the tour. We have already completed a small brochure that was delivered to the Mayor of Leer by Heike Bunte during their initial meetings. Within the next couple of weeks we will begin expanding our efforts to secure sponsors.

SAG:
I was worried at fist that we would not have enough support and gear (SAG) volunteers to keep this adventure running. I was wrong. As the registration progressed, volunteers appeared. at the time of this writing, we have 6 SAG volunteers. They are:

Volunteer / Country
Angelika Leipold / Germany
Ann Mühlenbruch / Germany
Jan Bain / Canada
Jean-Kathryn Fournier / Canada
Nancy Sanford / USA
Vicky Johnsen / USA

Without these people, the tour will not happen. I don’t have the words to thank them properly for volunteering to support our tour.
Ann Mühlenbruch has also volunteered to be SAG captain for the German portion of the tour. She has volunteered to organize the SAG team and help our tour succeed in Germany. It will be nice to put some of the logistical worries on her shoulders. Thanks Ann!

Route definition:
The following people have taken ownership of sections of the route to choose the best roads and paths for the tour to use.

Volunteer(s) / Section
Harry Lieben, Patrick Debal / Leer Germany Through Netherlands and Belgium to the French border
thibaut (From the French forum) / Troyes, France to Dijon, France
Klaus Binder / Dijon, France to Basel, Switzerland
Micke (From the French forum) / Basel, Switzerland to Karlsruhe, Germany
Josef Janning, Nina Mohrmann / Mannheim, Germany to Leer, Germany

I Will be contacting each of the route volunteers to get individual status soon.

Country Coordinators:
There are many tasks that require someone in each country that knows the local regulations of the countries we will pass through and speaks the language. At the moment, we only have one volunteer Country Coordinator. I am looking for more.

Coordinator / Country
Michael Lippens / Belgium
Needed / Netherlands
Needed / France
Needed / Switzerland
Needed / Germany

That is all I have for now.

Thank you.
Sean

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
AW: EuroTour 2013 Status, 5/27/12

Hi,

now I am also registert.
Hope, its not to late:)

Greetings
Waldschrat

Hallo Jupp,

von der Organisation und dem Sponsoring habe ich nun gar keine Ahnung.
Vor ca. zwei Wochen wurde im TV ein Bericht über vier Handbiker gezeigt, die von Süd nach Nordeutschland innerhalb von drei Tagen gefahren sind. Den Bericht habe ich mit viel Freude gesehen.
Anscheinend wurde die Truppe von der Erdinger Brauerei unterstützt, das Logo für Erdinger alkoholfrei war auf jeden Fall auf der Bekleidung zu sehen.
Ich weiß jetzt nicht, ob Du dich überhaupt an der Organisation dieser Tour beteiligst. Ansonsten ist dies einfach ein Tip, den Du ( mein englisch ist miserabel ) an Sean weitergeben könntest.

Gruß
Reinhard

Hallo zusammen.

Und wo müsste mann sich gegebenenfalls Anmelden??

Anmeldung zur Euro-Tour 2013 hier

Gruß
Arnold

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Vor ca. zwei Wochen wurde im TV ein Bericht über vier Handbiker gezeigt, die von Süd nach Nordeutschland innerhalb von drei Tagen gefahren sind. Den Bericht habe ich mit viel Freude gesehen.
Anscheinend wurde die Truppe von der Erdinger Brauerei unterstützt, das Logo für Erdinger alkoholfrei war auf jeden Fall auf der Bekleidung zu sehen.
Ich weiß jetzt nicht, ob Du dich überhaupt an der Organisation dieser Tour beteiligst. Ansonsten ist dies einfach ein Tip, den Du ( mein englisch ist miserabel ) an Sean weitergeben könntest

Sean:

This is to alert you to Erdinger, a brewing company in Bavaria, as a possible sponsor. I had asked them for ROAM but they declined stating that their sponsored teams were absorbing all the budget they had.
a European tour might mak a different case.
PM me if you want contact details.

Josef

Auf geht's, Mandi, Jessie und ich stehen schon drin :D

Gruß,
Patrick

Auf geht's, Mandi, Jessie und ich stehen schon drin :D

Gruß,
Patrick

Hab ich gerade gemacht, aber ich seh nicht das es angekommen ist. Wie lange geht das bis das sichtbar ist? Ist schon geschehen, ging ja doch schnell.

I reseved a tourplace for me, but i cann't see it in the participant list. How long is it until it will be visible on the list. Ohh, now i see it.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Hallo Jupp,

von der Organisation und dem Sponsoring habe ich nun gar keine Ahnung.
Ich weiß jetzt nicht, ob Du dich überhaupt an der Organisation dieser Tour beteiligst. Ansonsten ist dies einfach ein Tip, den Du ( mein englisch ist miserabel ) an Sean weitergeben könntest.

Gruß
Reinhard

Reinhard,
I am sorry! I have not been paying attention to this forum.
Thank you this is an excellent idea. I will get the contact info from Jupp.

Sean
=================
Reinhard, Es tut mir leid! Ich habe nicht aufgepasst zu diesem forum. Vielen Dank das ist eine ausgezeichnete Idee. Ich will mir den Kontaktinfos von Jupp.

Sean
Sean:

This is to alert you to Erdinger, a brewing company in Bavaria, as a possible sponsor. I had asked them for ROAM but they declined stating that their sponsored teams were absorbing all the budget they had.
a European tour might mak a different case.
PM me if you want contact details.

Josef
PM sent.

Thanks.

EuroTour 2013 - I need your advice: A giant tour.

We now have 120 registered participants. I received 11 new registrations in the last 7 days.

Several people have mentioned that it will be very difficult to find places each night for this many tents. Food will also be an issue because many small villages may not be able to feed us all at the same time.

Some people have said that they are not going to ride the entire tour so there probably will not be 120 people in camp on any night. But some who initially said they could not ride the entire tour may change their mind and ride the whole way.

Some will cancel. I think that the cancelation rate will be low because this may be a once in a lifetime event.

I need to find a way to make this tour work for this many riders or more. I do not want to close registration so soon, I want everyone who wants to join us on this great tour to be able to experience it. But I do not want this tour to be so large that it is not fun for the riders and SAG crew. I also want the tour to leave a good memory in the villages we pass through.

So, those are my variables and my problem.

Here is one of the solutions that I have thought of:

• Leave registrations open until 2/1/13.
  • Run the tour in waves that are no more than 50 people each.
  • Start the waves one day apart.
  • Each wave travels the same distances.
  • All waves stay at the same camps.
This way there would be no more than 50 riders in camp at a time, we only need to secure one set of campsites (but for 4 or 5 nights in a row) and villages would not be as impacted. It would also give riders more dates to choose from.

Is there a better solution? Ideas please?

======
note: As of 6\6\12, there are more Germa participants than ANY other country!

AW: EuroTour 2013 - I need your advice: A giant tour.

Hallo Sean,

sorry, my english is horrible, so I answer in german.

Die Tour in Wellen starten zu lassen, finde ich den geeignetsten Weg.
Die Bedenken einiger Tourteilnehmer sind berechtigt. Es wird mit über 120 , bis zur Tour eventuell sogar 150?, sehr schwierig werden allen einen Platz auf den Campingplätzen zu geben. Auch die Sanitärbereiche auf den Plätzen sind, nachdem eine Horde verschwitzter Kerle eingefallen sind, für die später eintrudelnden eine Zumutung.

Da haben es die Damen leichter;).

Auch die Verköstigung einer so großen Truppe wird von einer Tankstelle oder Bäckerei im Dorf nicht zu bewältigen sein. Dazu kommt die Warterei für die Teilnehmer, die liebend gerne schon einige Kilometer fahren möchten.

Die Entzerrung bietet zudem die Möglichkeit für schwache Fahrer ( wie mich ) in der ersten Welle zu starten, wenn es mal nicht so gut läuft einen Ruhetag einzulegen, und dann mit der zweiten Welle weiter zu radeln.

Gruß
Reinhard

Translation:
I think to start the tour in waves is the best solution.
The worries of those few participants are valid. It will be difficult with 120 - maybe up to 150? participants to fit them all onto one campsite. Also the toilets won't get cleaner after a horde of sweating ppl "rolled over them".

The ladies wont have that kind of problem ;)

Feeding such a big group at a gas-station or bakery in the villages will not be possible. Additional to that is the problem of waiting for the participants who would have wanted to start already.

This straightening will also enable weak drivers to start in the first wave and to pause when it is needed and to continue with the second wave.

Sorry - my english isnt that better but maybe its easier for you to understand now ;)

Reinhard, Wenn Sie eines wissen, dann ist Ihr Englisch ist besser als mein Deutsch. Ich kenne keine. Also verlasse ich mich auf schlechte Übersetzungen Google und die Freundlichkeit der Leute wie Stony (danke Stony).

Ich teile Ihre Sorge um die Ernährung der Menschen und die Suche nach Duschen und Toiletten. Ich glaube, Sie haben das falsche Zahl bereits. Wir sind jetzt bei 125. ;)

Die Fütterung der Armee von velonauts kann mit einer Küche in einem Lastwagen, die das Camp folgt durchgeführt werden. Ich möchte die lokale Küche so viel wie möglich zu essen, aber ich kann die Probleme der 150 oder 300 Reitern sehen Einmarsch in ein Dorf und wollen Essen, jetzt.

Big Gruppe Duschen könnte Spaß für einige, aber nicht so viel Spaß, für andere. Also müssten wir Sportplätze und Team Clubhäuser für jede Nacht zu finden. Ich weiß nicht, ob das möglich ist. Hat jemand dort denke, das kann für jedes Lager gefunden werden?

Camps für alle müssten für jede Nacht in jedem Land gefunden werden, oder wir werden gezwungen, sich in Wellen bewegen werden.

Ich hatte die gleiche Idee über schwächere Reiter beginnend in den vorderen Wellen. Möglicherweise gibt es noch eine Möglichkeit für uns alle, sich zusammenzuschließen und fahren das letzte Stück bis zum Ziel als ein, wenn die letzte Welle oder zwei starke Fahrer und alle Rennen werden können, um die mittlere Welle beitreten, während die erste Welle nimmt ein extra Ruhetag sein. Dann können wir zeigen, Leer eine große Parade, wie wir alle zusammen in Fahrt.

Sean
===========================

Rheinhard,

If you know any, then your English is better than my German. I know none. So, I rely on bad Google translations and the kindness of people like Stony (thank you Stony).

I share your concern about feeding people and finding showers and toilets. I think you have the number wrong already. We are now at 125 ;).

Feeding the army of velonauts can be done with a kitchen in a truck that follows the camp. I would like to eat the local food as much as possible but I can see the problems of 150 or 300 riders invading a village and wanting food, now.

Big group showers could be fun for some but not so much fun for others. So, we would need to find athletic fields and team club houses for every night. I do not know if that is possible. Does anyone there think these can be found for every camp?

Camps for all would need to be found for every night in every country or we will be forced to travel in waves.

I had the same idea about weaker riders starting in the front waves.

There may still be a way for us all to join together and ride the last part to the finish as one if the last wave or two can be all strong riders and race to join the middle wave while the first wave takes an extra rest day. Then we can show Leer a big parade as we all ride in together.

Sean

Dear Sean
Big group showers could be fun for some but not so much fun for others. So, we would need to find athletic fields and team club houses for every night. I do not know if that is possible. Does anyone there think these can be found for every camp?

If we drive on the moste time along rivers and See´s, maybe it is possible to clean our body befor we conquer a village. ;)

Euro Tour 2013 -Status Begleiter - Supporters

Moin,moin Mitfahrer

Es wollen nun 120 Fahrer an dieser Tour teilnehmen, aber wir haben nur 6 Begleiter = 4 von Uebersee und 2 aus Deutschland. Nach meiner Meinung ist das zu wenig oder viele von uns fahren mit Gepaeck im VM.

Mit unserem PKW koennen wir das Gepaeck von etwa 10 Fahrern transportieren, weiterhin werden wir versuchen einnen Haenger fuer den Transport von 2 VMs zu organisieren.

Mein Appell an alle europaeischen Fahrern, bitte aktiviert weitere Begleiter , sie werden fuer uns alle sehr wichtig sein.

-----

Dear riders

Now we have 120 participants and 6 supporters = 4 from overseas and 2 from Germany. As per my opinion this wiil not be workable or the most of us have to ride with the own luggage in the VM.

With our car we could transport the luggage for around 10 riders and we will try to get a closed trailer for 2 VMs.

Therefore my call to all European riders, please find supporters for this event, they will be very important for us all.

Gruesse/Regards Michael

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Dear Sean

If we drive on the moste time along rivers and See´s, maybe it is possible to clean our body befor we conquer a village. ;)

See's means "lakes" ;)
And yes, especially with fast drying sports clothing it's a good solution for us (but not for the river/lake :D )

Kai

Dear Sean

If we camp, we could make portable shower enclosures with vinyl sheets and solar shower bags Like this. The problem I see is that if we have more than 50 in camp, there will be a lot of grey water on the ground after we are done. may not be good for grass of an athletic field...

Zurück
Oben Unten